before i buy m.2 ssd

G

on M.2 ssd's i noticed it says SATA 3 and PCIe 3.0x4 so just wondering with a simple answer when it says like SATA 3 does that mean it runs at SATA 3 port speds but just fits in the M.2 slot same for the PCIe but runs faster than the sata?

Solution
A SATA M2 drive will run at SATA speeds, irrespective of the M2 slot capabilities.
A PCI-E drive MAY run faster but it'll depend on your system motherboard: Not all the older Z97 'boards support PCI-E for M2 and those that do usually support lower speeds (PCI-E 2.0x2 for example) rather than the PCI-E 3.0x4 current drives can use and AFAIK none of them support NVMe.

JanHyka

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016
Yep, with M.2 SATA the speed is limited to 6Gbps (theoretical max. 600MB per sec... in real closer to 560ish).

If you can afford paying a little extra, I'd recommend PCIe one for your M.2

A SATA M2 drive will run at SATA speeds, irrespective of the M2 slot capabilities.
A PCI-E drive MAY run faster but it'll depend on your system motherboard: Not all the older Z97 'boards support PCI-E for M2 and those that do usually support lower speeds (PCI-E 2.0x2 for example) rather than the PCI-E 3.0x4 current drives can use and AFAIK none of them support NVMe.

Solution
G

so i do not need an adapter thinking about the samsung 950 Pro the 256gb version as i do not need that much space think that could work?

JanHyka

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016
No, you just buy it and plug it and screw it in. It is also one of drives that has PCIe 3.0 4x with NVMe (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA12K4871041&cm_re=samsung_950_pro-_-9SIA12K4871041-_-Product)