[SOLVED] Beginers PC build

Mar 11, 2019
Hi all, I'm just about to build my first PC and was wondering if anyone can confirm the compatibility of the following choice of parts?

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX Tempered Glass Midi Tower Case USB 3.0 - Black

MB ASRock B450M Pro4 AM4 M-ATX D-Sub/HDMI/DVI DDR4 Retail - AMD Socket AM4 (Ryzen) - Micro/Mini/Flex-ATX, B450M PRO4

AMD YD2400C5FBBOX Ryzen 5 2400G Processor with Radeon Vega 11 Graphics Wraith Stealth Cooler

Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0 High Performance Desktop Memory Kit, Black

Corsair VS550 550 W Active PFC 80 PLUS Certified Power Supply Unit - Black

SanDisk SSD PLUS 480 GB Sata III 2.5 Inch Internal SSD, Up to 535 MB/s

The plan is to build something with a solid base that can be upgraded later if necessary.

Many thanks and regards Gary.

Solution
Thank you very much Wildcard, I'm not overly restricted by budget so will have another look at PSU's.

Best regards Gary.
Budget wise the Corsair CX/CXM (Grey label) PSU's are decent but if possible I would look at the Seasonic Focus Gold 550W, it's currently $49.99 after mail in rebate and is one of the best PSU's out there for the money and comes with a 10 year warranty. Would be enough to power a Ryzen 7 system and up to RTX 2070 without issue.

WildCard999

Titan
Thank you very much Wildcard, I'm not overly restricted by budget so will have another look at PSU's.

Best regards Gary.
Budget wise the Corsair CX/CXM (Grey label) PSU's are decent but if possible I would look at the Seasonic Focus Gold 550W, it's currently $49.99 after mail in rebate and is one of the best PSU's out there for the money and comes with a 10 year warranty. Would be enough to power a Ryzen 7 system and up to RTX 2070 without issue.

Solution
Mar 11, 2019
Thanks again Wildcard, I found this one that looks pretty good your thoughts would be appreciated,

EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G3, 80 Plus Gold 550W, Fully Modular, Eco Mode with New HDB Fan, Includes Power ON Self Tester, Compact 150mm Size, Power Supply 220-G3-0550-Y3

Best regards Gary.

timot.mo

Commendable
Feb 27, 2019
So I've owned two Enthoo Evolv mATX cases. The first one was the original acrylic version and I also have the current one. They do look amazing and are easy to build in, but have horrible airflow issues.. It's really bad. Plus I came to the conclusion these Evolv cases totally defeat the purpose of a matx build which is to have a smaller form factor. However, these cases are approximately the same size the Fractal design Meshify-C which is a full ATX case. Which has great airflow.

I would consider saving some money and forget the Evolv case. Really no advantage to it other than it looks cool. If you get something like the Meshify-C you can always upgrade to a full ATX build in the future or do it now without losing or adding a foorprint.

Also, looking at the motherboard you picked, at first glance I'm not too impressed with the VRM situation but I can't say much without looking at it more closely. But overclocking may be an issue or if you want to put something faster in it later on down the road. I'm sure it's fine for the ryzen 5 but may cause heat issues and then we're talking about the evolv case not being able to dissipate that heat properly.

All in all, these are just suggestions and you build will work fine but there's certainly better performance avenues without changing your budget.

Edit, didn't mean to say that the Meshify-C is a full ATX case, it's a mid tower that can hold up to a standard ATX Motherboard.

Mar 11, 2019
So I've owned two Enthoo Evolv mATX cases. The first one was the original acrylic version and I also have the current one. They do look amazing and are easy to build in, but have horrible airflow issues.. It's really bad. Plus I came to the conclusion these Evolv cases totally defeat the purpose of a matx build which is to have a smaller form factor. However, these cases are approximately the same size the Fractal design Meshify-C which is a full ATX case. Which has great airflow.

I would consider saving some money and forget the Evolv case. Really no advantage to it other than it looks cool. If you get something like the Meshify-C you can always upgrade to a full ATX build in the future or do it now without losing or adding a foorprint.

Also, looking at the motherboard you picked, at first glance I'm not too impressed with the VRM situation but I can't say much without looking at it more closely. But overclocking may be an issue or if you want to put something faster in it later on down the road. I'm sure it's fine for the ryzen 5 but may cause heat issues and then we're talking about the evolv case not being able to dissipate that heat properly.

All in all, these are just suggestions and you build will work fine but there's certainly better performance avenues without changing your budget.

Edit, didn't mean to say that the Meshify-C is a full ATX case, it's a mid tower that can hold up to a standard ATX Motherboard.

Many thanks for your feedback, I will have a look at the Meshify-C again I think it's one that I have already considered. With regard to the Motherboard the B450m Pro4 was one that was said to have a reasonable VRM some of the other brands such as Gigabyte were slated pretty badly, I didn't like the look of the ASRock Bios but it seams to be functional enough for my purposes, I don't think I will be overclocking and the only addition I can foresee in the near future is a discrete graphics card if the Vega on the Ryzen 5 falls too far short of the mark. I would be interested in any other B450 options you may recommend I know X470 is superior but perhaps overkill for my aims cutting edge gaming isn't my biggest priority but would like the system to be respectable!

Best regards Gary.

timot.mo

Commendable
Feb 27, 2019
Cool, it's probably a decent motherboard, that was just my first impression. With a few exceptions, manufacturers don't often put a lot of love into their mATX boards anyway, which is a shame. Like you said gigabytes mATX VRMs leave much to be desired but their ATX gaming line and especially the Aorus line have excellent VRMs. However it's not always the case, apparently ASUS cheapened out on almost every z390 board and then lied about it.

Good, luck.. at the very least get a better PSU. Voltage regulation and ripple control go a long way to the long term health of your system yet it's the part almost every new builder cheapens out on.

Reactions: GaryWilson
Mar 11, 2019
Many thanks again, it would seem that there always has to be a little compromise somewhere unless of course you're willing to spend 150-200 £ or $ and although I'm not particularly restricted by budget that's not what I'm seeking to do on this build. I do like the look of the Mortar so might well flip back to that before I order everything.

I have already changed the power supply to the EVGA Supernova 550 G3 which is a much better choice once again many thanks for your help!

Best regards Gary.

Mar 11, 2019
Okay so I have now finished the build at the weekend, the final cutting list was as follows:

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX Tempered Glass Midi Tower Case USB 3.0 - Black

MSI B450M MORTAR (Socket AM4/B450/DDR4/S-ATA 600/Micro ATX)

AMD YD2400C5FBBOX Ryzen 5 2400G Processor with Radeon Vega 11 Graphics Wraith Stealth Cooler

Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0 High Performance Desktop Memory Kit, Black

EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G3, 80 Plus Gold 550W, Fully Modular Power Supply

SanDisk SSD PLUS 480 GB Sata III 2.5 Inch Internal SSD, Up to 535 MB/s

I feel this allows me plenty of room to upgrade in the future if need be but the system is working really well for me now. thanks for the advise and help.

Best regards Gary.