[SOLVED] Beginner pc

Mar 16, 2019
I am a complete beginner to pc gaming, I am looking for a birthday present for my son and was looking to get a full system for around the £500 mark. I have found one but have no idea if this is value for money or if it is capable of running the types of games he likes (mine craft, fortnight, apex).
Intel i5 3470 4 core 3.6ghz
8gb ddr3
4gb gtx 1050Ti
1tb hdd
Cit GForce
Windows 10 pro
Rgb fans
£470

Any advice?

Solution
It's OK, BUT the not sure if the CIT thing is a PSU, if it is it'll be garbage. The CPU is 7 years old, not that big a deal except there is no where to go in terms of upgrades and they are starting to struggle now in my opinion (owning one).

You don't need win 10 pro, so you're paying for that.

And agree with the above you could possibly get new for similar price/performance with a path that in 2-3 years time it can be upgraded.

Are you comfortable building?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/XJgrbX

And either add the GPU later bringing it down to £400 ish, or run windows unactivated (you lose some personalisations), if you do either of these things I'd suggest that you brought the ram up to 16GB, as that'll pay dividends in...
It's OK, BUT the not sure if the CIT thing is a PSU, if it is it'll be garbage. The CPU is 7 years old, not that big a deal except there is no where to go in terms of upgrades and they are starting to struggle now in my opinion (owning one).

You don't need win 10 pro, so you're paying for that.

And agree with the above you could possibly get new for similar price/performance with a path that in 2-3 years time it can be upgraded.

Are you comfortable building?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/XJgrbX

And either add the GPU later bringing it down to £400 ish, or run windows unactivated (you lose some personalisations), if you do either of these things I'd suggest that you brought the ram up to 16GB, as that'll pay dividends in the medium term, or add in a 240Gb SSD as that'll improve things dramatically.

All are much better components, and you could build it with him. Assuming you have monitor, keyboard and mouse. All will take you to a top level single GPU and you can fit a top level ryzen 2000 series CPU or probably 3000 series CPU in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daniel_brown
Solution
Mar 16, 2019
Thanks for the advice guys, it looks like you have saved me from purchasing a system that is soon going to be out of date with no upgrade capability. I think I’ll start looking at the AMD based systems