beginner's question

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tialan wrote:
> Will Green wrote:

>> Ditto. "Master of the Open-Air Strike," our DM called him. It did
>> seem like he couldn't hit the broad side of a tarrasque.
>>
>> Okay, okay, *the* Tarrasque. Bloody pedants.
>>
>> -Will
>

> Wow. Didn't know there were two of them. :)
>
> Now the question is this: Can he make his saves?

Died in the second or third session. Don't remember how...but it was a
vicious Ravenloft campaign. We all pretty much died every now and then.

-Will

Oh yeah right and i suppose your going to bitch about conetxt next!1!1!1!1

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Bradd W. Szonye said

--
Rob Singers
"All your Ron are belong to us"

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Bradd W. Szonye said

>>freakybaby wrote:
>>
>>>It happens, take last night at for example, where my current
>>>character is a monk, I kept forgetting to use the flurry action when
>>>I was surrounded by foes for the first three rounds of a combat.
>>
>>I keep seeing replies to this "Tialan" person, but never the original
>>post. It looks like Tialan's articles are getting filtered or canceled
>>somewhere along the way to my ISP.

You're not likely to see this, but I'm sending it anyway.

I assure you, I am real. No need for quotation marks. Just plain
Tialan will do. ;-)

But anyway, I have no idea why my posts would get filtered out. But I'm
a long-term lurker that just started posting this past week or so. That
would be why you only recently started seeing these replies to my
messages. :)

Hopefully someone can help us figure out why we're having this problem.

-Tialan

P.S. Someone out there might want to try replying to this so Bradd can
see this.

Tialan <shalahhr@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Bradd W. Szonye said
>
>>I keep seeing replies to this "Tialan" person, but never the original
>>post. It looks like Tialan's articles are getting filtered or canceled
>>somewhere along the way to my ISP.
>
> You're not likely to see this, but I'm sending it anyway.
>
> I assure you, I am real. No need for quotation marks. Just plain
> Tialan will do. ;-)
>
> But anyway, I have no idea why my posts would get filtered out. But
> I'm a long-term lurker that just started posting this past week or so.
> That would be why you only recently started seeing these replies to my
> messages. :)
>
> Hopefully someone can help us figure out why we're having this
> problem.
>
> -Tialan
>
> P.S. Someone out there might want to try replying to this so Bradd
> can see this.

Done.

Keith

"Nockermensch" <nockermensch@hotmail.com> wrote in

>> Which FAQ was that in?
>
> The D&D main FAQ, IIRC.

Thank you

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 21:51:44 -0500, Tialan <shalahhr@yahoo.com> carved
upon a tablet of ether:

> You're not likely to see this, but I'm sending it anyway.
>
> I assure you, I am real. No need for quotation marks. Just plain
> Tialan will do. ;-)
>
> But anyway, I have no idea why my posts would get filtered out. But I'm
> a long-term lurker that just started posting this past week or so. That
> would be why you only recently started seeing these replies to my
> messages. :)
>
> Hopefully someone can help us figure out why we're having this problem.
>
> -Tialan
>
> P.S. Someone out there might want to try replying to this so Bradd can
> see this.

Maybe Bradd's system has a hate-on for Yahoo.

--
Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
should be free."

Tialan wrote:
>> P.S. Someone out there might want to try replying to this so Bradd
>> can see this.

Thanks -- the original message didn't show up here.

Rupert Boleyn wrote:
> Maybe Bradd's system has a hate-on for Yahoo.

I don't know what the issue is. I know my ISP's newsserver does filter
stuff, but I have no idea why it's dropping Tialan's articles. Maybe
there's a spammer in his IP neighborhood, or maybe he has an enemy
sending out auto-cancels.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

Rupert Boleyn wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 21:51:44 -0500, Tialan <shalahhr@yahoo.com> carved
> upon a tablet of ether:
>

>>You're not likely to see this, but I'm sending it anyway.
>>
>>I assure you, I am real. No need for quotation marks. Just plain
>>Tialan will do. ;-)
>>
>>But anyway, I have no idea why my posts would get filtered out. But I'm
>>a long-term lurker that just started posting this past week or so. That
>>would be why you only recently started seeing these replies to my
>>messages. :)
>>
>>Hopefully someone can help us figure out why we're having this problem.
>>
>>-Tialan
>>
>>P.S. Someone out there might want to try replying to this so Bradd can
>>see this.
>

> Maybe Bradd's system has a hate-on for Yahoo.

I suppose that might be an issue.

I only use the Yahoo account when I'm afraid of someone else seeing it
and sending me spam. Otherwise, I use my school account. I never
thought about how I might be mistaken for a spammer. I'd like to think
that whoever would set up such a filter would realize that some people
use Yahoo accounts legitimately. Unfortunately, that's not always the case.

-Tialan

Bradd W. Szonye wrote:
> Tialan wrote:
>
>>>P.S. Someone out there might want to try replying to this so Bradd
>>>can see this.
>

> Thanks -- the original message didn't show up here.
>
> Rupert Boleyn wrote:
>
>>Maybe Bradd's system has a hate-on for Yahoo.
>

> I don't know what the issue is. I know my ISP's newsserver does filter
> stuff, but I have no idea why it's dropping Tialan's articles. Maybe
> there's a spammer in his IP neighborhood, or maybe he has an enemy
> sending out auto-cancels.

The first possibility is more likely than the second. Up until this
past week, my online presence has been limited to lurking. I don't have
any real-life enemies of which I am aware, and there are only a handful
of friends that would associate the name Tialan with me.

And if there is a spammer elsewhere causing all MY mail to get
canceled... Well, it seems everyone always wants to punish me for what
someone else does. Why bother to dig out the bad apple when you can
dump the whole barrel, right?

-Tialan

Some Guy wrote:
> Nockermensch wrote:
>> freakybaby wrote:
<TWFing + flurry stacking>
>>> Which FAQ was that in?
>>
>> The D&D main FAQ, IIRC.
>
> Specifically:

<big snip>

Hmm. Human Ftr/Mnk 1/1, Flurry, PBS, Rapid Shot, TWFing; fires
shurikens with both hands at -5/-5/-5/-5, with 1/2 Str bonus on the last
for off-hand use.
Within 30' and with 16 Dex that's four attacks at -1, which is too
low really, three attacks at +1 gets as many hits against AC 14. Add in
Weapon Focus at level 3 and it's up to four attacks at +1, which is
better up to AC 15.

OK, so not greatly effective at low level. Good to know.

--
tussock

Aspie at work, sorry in advance.

tussock wrote:

> Some Guy wrote:
>
>> Nockermensch wrote:
>>
>>> freakybaby wrote:
>
> <TWFing + flurry stacking>

>>> The D&D main FAQ, IIRC.
>>

>> Specifically:
>

> <big snip>
>
> Hmm. Human Ftr/Mnk 1/1, Flurry, PBS, Rapid Shot, TWFing; fires
> shurikens with both hands at -5/-5/-5/-5, with 1/2 Str bonus on the last
> for off-hand use.
> Within 30' and with 16 Dex that's four attacks at -1, which is too
> low really, three attacks at +1 gets as many hits against AC 14. Add in
> Weapon Focus at level 3 and it's up to four attacks at +1, which is
> better up to AC 15.
>
> OK, so not greatly effective at low level. Good to know.

I thought that flurry and TWF were melee only. PBS and Rapid Shot are
ranged only. The two shouldn't mix.

If this *is* true, you'd need quickdraw as well, or you'd be limited to
two shuriken per round.

CH

Clawhound wrote:
> tussock wrote:

<TWFing + flurry stacking>

> > Hmm. Human Ftr/Mnk 1/1, Flurry, PBS, Rapid Shot,
> > TWFing; fires shurikens with both hands at -5/-5/-5/-5,
> > with 1/2 Str bonus on the last for off-hand use.
> > Within 30' and with 16 Dex that's four attacks at
> > -1, which is too low really, three attacks at +1 gets
> > as many hits against AC 14. Add in Weapon Focus at
> > level 3 and it's up to four attacks at +1, which is
> > better up to AC 15.
>
> I thought that flurry and TWF were melee only. PBS
> and Rapid Shot are ranged only. The two shouldn't
> mix.

Shuriken are explicitly allowed for flurrying, and are not usable in
melee, so flurry is obviously not limited to melee.

As for TWF, read PH3.5 160 (or the SRD). "Thrown Weapons: The same
rules apply when you throw a weapon from each hand. Treat a dart or
shuriken as a light weapon when used in this manner, and treat a
bolas, javelin, net, or sling as a one-handed weapon."

PBS and Rapid Shot are ranged-only (including thrown), and no one has
suggested otherwise.

So this (PBS/Rapid/flurry/TWF shuriken) is completely legal, and not
universally useful at low levels, as tussock showed quite nicely. :D
I assume it'd be pretty nice if you were in range for sneak attacks,
though.

> If this *is* true, you'd need quickdraw as well, or
> you'd be limited to two shuriken per round.

Shuriken explicitly get drawn as free actions, as if they're
ammunition (and have the 100%-if-hit, 50%-if-miss chance of breaking
that ammunition does), so Quick Draw is unnecessary.

--
Nik
- remove vermin from email address to reply.

Nikolas Landauer wrote:

> Clawhound wrote:
>
>>tussock wrote:
>

> <TWFing + flurry stacking>
>
>>> Hmm. Human Ftr/Mnk 1/1, Flurry, PBS, Rapid Shot,
>>>TWFing; fires shurikens with both hands at -5/-5/-5/-5,
>>>with 1/2 Str bonus on the last for off-hand use.
>>> Within 30' and with 16 Dex that's four attacks at
>>>-1, which is too low really, three attacks at +1 gets
>>>as many hits against AC 14. Add in Weapon Focus at
>>>level 3 and it's up to four attacks at +1, which is
>>>better up to AC 15.
>>
>>I thought that flurry and TWF were melee only. PBS
>>and Rapid Shot are ranged only. The two shouldn't
>>mix.
>

> Shuriken are explicitly allowed for flurrying, and are not usable in
> melee, so flurry is obviously not limited to melee.
>
> As for TWF, read PH3.5 160 (or the SRD). "Thrown Weapons: The same
> rules apply when you throw a weapon from each hand. Treat a dart or
> shuriken as a light weapon when used in this manner, and treat a
> bolas, javelin, net, or sling as a one-handed weapon."
>
> PBS and Rapid Shot are ranged-only (including thrown), and no one has
> suggested otherwise.
>
> So this (PBS/Rapid/flurry/TWF shuriken) is completely legal, and not
> universally useful at low levels, as tussock showed quite nicely. :D
> I assume it'd be pretty nice if you were in range for sneak attacks,
> though.
>

>>If this *is* true, you'd need quickdraw as well, or
>>you'd be limited to two shuriken per round.
>

> Shuriken explicitly get drawn as free actions, as if they're
> ammunition (and have the 100%-if-hit, 50%-if-miss chance of breaking
> that ammunition does), so Quick Draw is unnecessary.

Well, whatddya know!!! Thanks.

CH

none@nowhere.com wrote:

> > Hmm. Human Ftr/Mnk 1/1, Flurry, PBS, Rapid Shot, TWFing; fires
> > shurikens with both hands at -5/-5/-5/-5, with 1/2 Str bonus on the last
> > for off-hand use.
> > Within 30' and with 16 Dex that's four attacks at -1, which is too
> > low really, three attacks at +1 gets as many hits against AC 14. Add in
> > Weapon Focus at level 3 and it's up to four attacks at +1, which is
> > better up to AC 15.
> >
> > OK, so not greatly effective at low level. Good to know.
>
> I thought that flurry and TWF were melee only. PBS and Rapid Shot are
> ranged only. The two shouldn't mix.
>
> If this *is* true, you'd need quickdraw as well, or you'd be limited to
> two shuriken per round.

Shuriken are counted as ammunition, so they can be drawn as a free
action, just like arrows.

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr