Belkin Bridging

I have a Belkin F5D7230 Cable Wireless Gateway/ Router dsitributing my
broadband. I purchased a Belkin F5D7130 Access Point to act as signal
extender (as described in its feature description). These devices are
designed to work together and utilize WDS to communicate. In the setup
instructions wireless bridge is selected on both, but on the router the
instructions said to enter the MAC address of the Access Point. There is a
similar capability to enter the MAC address of the Gateway/Router in the
Wireless Bridge configuration page of the AP. I can ping everything, and
open up the configuration page of the AP from any PC, wireless or wired, on
the network, so everything sees each other. How can I tell if this AP is in
fact passing clients to my Gateway/Router? I can't tell if my clients are
connecting directly to my Router, or to the AP then to the Router. The
clients already had good signal, but I was looking to make it better, so
actual connection to the Router doesn't tell me how they are getting there.

Thanks,

--
Mike S
remove nospam to reply

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 12:41:00 -0400, "Mike S" <msaltz@nospamgis.net>
wrote:

>I have a Belkin F5D7230 Cable Wireless Gateway/ Router dsitributing my
>broadband. I purchased a Belkin F5D7130 Access Point to act as signal
>extender (as described in its feature description). These devices are
>designed to work together and utilize WDS to communicate. In the setup
>instructions wireless bridge is selected on both, but on the router the
>instructions said to enter the MAC address of the Access Point. There is a
>similar capability to enter the MAC address of the Gateway/Router in the
>Wireless Bridge configuration page of the AP. I can ping everything, and
>open up the configuration page of the AP from any PC, wireless or wired, on
>the network, so everything sees each other. How can I tell if this AP is in
>fact passing clients to my Gateway/Router? I can't tell if my clients are
>connecting directly to my Router, or to the AP then to the Router. The
>clients already had good signal, but I was looking to make it better, so
>actual connection to the Router doesn't tell me how they are getting there.
>
>Thanks,

How about denying the MAC address of your PC's on the wireless router,
then you will be sure (assuming MAC address blocking is working of
course!) that the PC's are connecting via the 2nd Access Point, not
the router.

If you hover over the belkin wireless utility that sits in the system
tray, that should tell you which access point you are connected to. In
my case it shows the name of my access point.

I was thinking of setting up something similar here.

Robin