Ben Heck Crams Three Consoles Into One Chassis

Status
Not open for further replies.

echondo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Well the Wii doesn't have all that much heat to it, the Xbox 360 launch to 2010ish had heating problems, but the Slim Xbox 360s are great for heat dissipation.

Don't know about the new PS3 however with the top loading tray. I only have the slot loader, but to my knowledge it doesn't really produce a lot of heat compared to the Xbox.

krazyjamus

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
The original PS3 makes about the same amount of heat as the original 360. The difference was in design. In the PS3 it has a 120mm fan blowing directectly onto the gpu/cpu. It then bounces off to the sides and out of the case.
With the orginial XBox 360 it had two 60mm fans at the back that blew out of the case. So instead of PUSHING air onto the gpu/cpu it would PULL air which vastly less effective for heat dissipation. I have no idea why the launched the xbox 360 with such an obvious design flaw.

[citation][nom]echondo[/nom]Well the Wii doesn't have all that much heat to it, the Xbox 360 launch to 2010ish had heating problems, but the Slim Xbox 360s are great for heat dissipation.Don't know about the new PS3 however with the top loading tray. I only have the slot loader, but to my knowledge it doesn't really produce a lot of heat compared to the Xbox.[/citation]

lionheart2243

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
[citation][nom]krazyjamus[/nom]I have no idea why the launched the xbox 360 with such an obvious design flaw.[/citation]
Likely the same reasons any retailer puts products out too early: to beat out the competition. The 360/PS3 generation was such a massive improvement graphically that people were dying to get their hands on one, and I expect Microsoft knew the first to be released would gain a massive market share. I don't know if they were aware of the PS3's hardware destined to edge them out (graphics, blu-ray) but they knew how important it was to get that first console out there. You can argue that they should have spotted the flawed heat dissipation earlier, but I suppose by the time it was realized (IF it was realized) it was too late to delay if their market strategy was to beat out Sony.

But I'm just speaking hypothetically with lots of words =P I'm new to Tom's

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I think the space could have been used more efficiently if the PS3/360 were stacked and Wii was placed next to them on its side. The configuration as pictured requires about 12" of clearance, which most entertainment centers will not accommodate.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
"Ultimate Combo System"

I'd call it near ultimate , as it doesn't incldue ALL platforms , it';s missing a PC in it.

Now don't get me wrong not trying to say PC is better gaming platform , just saying can't call this the ultimate combo system with out including a pc in it too. Still neat thing though

Status
Not open for further replies.