Ben...need some advice on modems!

Hi Ben,
What is your favorite internal modem card...both software and hardware
types?
Modems can be a pain-in-the-arse to install...is it just windows? Bad
software? Or are there other hardware issues that effect the install?

Thanks in advance,
b_d

PCI or ISA? PCI, I presume. US Robotics makes the only reputable hardware PCI
modem, as far as I know. For hardware modems, stick to Rockwell, Lucent,
Conexant chipsets, avoid PCTel, which are the cheapest of them all. I've also
done pretty well with the Supra 56K modems, which Diamond acquired. But I no
idea what ever became of Diamond, which changed its name to Sonic Blue and sold
the Rio player.

Modems come with all sorts of brand names now, because they are a very low cost
commodity item. Windows XP is fairly good at detecting and installing most
modems with mainstream chipsets. Other Windows releases are more spotty, and it
is best to have a driver CD or diskette to go with the modem when installing it.

.... Ben Myers

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message news:<4126afa1.792150@news.charter.net>...
> PCI or ISA? PCI, I presume. US Robotics makes the only reputable hardware PCI
> modem, as far as I know. For hardware modems, stick to Rockwell, Lucent,
> Conexant chipsets, avoid PCTel, which are the cheapest of them all. I've also
> done pretty well with the Supra 56K modems, which Diamond acquired. But I no
> idea what ever became of Diamond, which changed its name to Sonic Blue and sold
> the Rio player.
>
> Modems come with all sorts of brand names now, because they are a very low cost
> commodity item. Windows XP is fairly good at detecting and installing most
> modems with mainstream chipsets. Other Windows releases are more spotty, and it
> is best to have a driver CD or diskette to go with the modem when installing it.
>
> ... Ben Myers
>
> On 20 Aug 2004 16:32:55 -0700, braine_dead@lycos.com (brane_ded) wrote:
>
> >Hi Ben,
> >What is your favorite internal modem card...both software and hardware
> >types?
> >Modems can be a pain-in-the-arse to install...is it just windows? Bad
> >software? Or are there other hardware issues that effect the install?
> >
> >Thanks in advance,
> >b_d

Ben...what ever happened to Hayes? Did they just develope the standard-and sell it?