Question Benchmarking my new build and BSOD

Oct 17, 2020
I just recently built a new PC with these parts and I'm running into some issues. I noticed that when I came back to my computer after leaving it on sleep mode overnight, programs like Chrome shut down unexpectedly (may be unrelated to anything here).
The only BIOS setting I changed was changing the RAM speed to the 3600mhz it's rated for. The first benchmark I ran was Prime95 and it would say FATAL ERROR: rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4. I also ran memtest (not memtest86) and it was giving me errors. I then ran Blender Benchmark from Open Data and it almost completed before giving me a BSOD. I couldn't read the ID in time but Event Viewer says the source was Kernel-Power, Event ID 41, task category (63).

Reading online, I saw that I was supposed to enable the XMP profile so I did that, which I believe has fixed most of the issues. I also updated the BIOS to the latest available on Gigabyte's website.
Now I ran Prime95 again (blend test). Worker 8 gave me the same error early on completing 0 tests in 2 minutes, worker 6 threw that error after finishing 12 tests in 18 minutes, worker 3 threw it after completing 32 tests in 39 minutes, worker 4 failed after completing 37 tests in 44 minutes. I stopped the test right around the 1 hour mark.
I'm concerned now with the fact that HWiNFO showed core temperatures running really high, with cores 2 and 4 throttling at 99 degrees C, and every other core in the mid 90s.
Running 8 instances of memtest, each testing 3GB of ram each, they all completed with no errors. I do believe that XMP being off caused most of the initial issues, but I'm not 100% sure and the BSOD worried me.

So now I have a couple questions. Should I be concerned about the CPU temperatures, and what should I do to fix it? I believe I applied enough thermal paste and mounted the cooler correctly, and I was told when picking out my parts that this cooler should be sufficient if I didn't overclock.
Do I need a new CPU cooler (aio maybe)? Do I need more than the 2 case fans that came with the H210?
Are there any other benchmarks I should run to test my system's stability? Could there be any other issues I'm completely unaware about, like something to do with a lack of power from the PSU?

wi5pa

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
I would run a memtest86 , as you have only checked 3gb of the ram stick due to windows using the rest and it wont give an accurate diagnosis and can hide errors. memtest86 runs outside windows and will examine the whole ram stick.

Run memtest86 before you do any other benchmarks such as aida64, pcmark, realbench, cinebench r15/r20

Prime 95 is not a very good benchmark as it torture tests your system to unrealistic values.
If you run prime95 then use small fft with avx off

Oct 17, 2020
I downloaded memtest86 but it seemed like a more involved process so I didn't for now. I ran 8 instances at once though of the 3gb as it recommended, meaning I tested 24gb and there were zero errors, so I believe most of the issues were due to not enabling the XMP profile. It went from all instant errors to 100% completion with no errors.

I'll try running prime95 with your settings. How long should I run it? Also do you think I wouldn't run into those temperatures in more realistic workloads? Such as playing games, running multiples VMs, having 100 tabs open, etc.
I just want to ensure the stability of my system and I don't want it to ever get that hot.

wi5pa

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
I would run memtest 86 first.
You have only tested 3gb - 8 times, ( the same 3gb x 8 )
the rest of the ram stick hasnt been tested and that could be where all your errors are.
You need to make sure the whole of the ram sticks are error free

I dont use prime95 to test any benchmarks as i find it unrealistic, so i cant give you anymore advice on prime95.

Oct 17, 2020
Alright so I ran memtest86 and it had no errors. Also ran prime95 with your settings for an hour and there were no issues. The maximum temperature was in the 80-85 degree Celsius range. Does that temperature range seem fine?