Benefits of Solid State Drives (SSD) Optimization (Tweaking)

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Indexing is not used to access files more quickly. It's used to find files more quickly in search. Disabling indexing will result in slower searching.

Hibernation: Amount of space saved by turning this off is equivalent to the amount of RAM in your system. Not limited to 2GB.

Also, hibernation has benefits over standby where hibernation will allow your system to return to a fully working state after removing power whereas standby requires power to still be supplied to your system. Laptops for example you'll want to hibernate to avoid discharging the battery while in sleep mode.

compton

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
With system restore disabled, no swap file, and some of the additonal tweaks mentioned here, my two small capacity SSD's are running Win 7 effectively in a small footprint -- my 60GB Agility has 37GB free, while the X25-V in my laptop has over 20GB free. The best part is keeping lots of extra space help longevity, while the tweaks enhance performance while keeping my drives free of junk.

Thanks for another excellent article -- I'm surprised I haven't seen an article on this subject that's as comprehensive. Toms to the rescue.

anttonij

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
Thanks for another great article. I would love to see a part 2 of the article where you would explore the causes of the performance drop.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]KWReid[/nom]Indexing is not used to access files more quickly. It's used to find files more quickly in search. Disabling indexing will result in slower searching.Hibernation: Amount of space saved by turning this off is equivalent to the amount of RAM in your system. Not limited to 2GB.Also, hibernation has benefits over standby where hibernation will allow your system to return to a fully working state after removing power whereas standby requires power to still be supplied to your system. Laptops for example you'll want to hibernate to avoid discharging the battery while in sleep mode.[/citation]

Thanks for pointing both of these things out. You're absolutely correct about indexing.

I've updated the story for the author to reflect hibernation as well. I added clarification re: desktops and notebooks, though I'd suggest powering down a notebook with an SSD is comparable to putting it into hibernation. I don't think anyone would recommend putting it into standby; as you mention, that continues to drain power.

All the best!
Chris

Why are they testing last generation Sandforce and Intel SSD's?

SSD's are changing faster than any other computer technology. The current generation SSD's are already twice as fast as the SSD's tested in this article. Tom's Hardware is being left behind in the dust with reviews like this.

HalfHuman

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2006
the article is very useful.
disabling system rstore is usually a good idea, sometimes it's better to just limit it's size form the 10% default value.
swap disabling is not a good idea, as you said. i'd rather have the swap on a secondary, mechanical drive.
indexing is very useful. you can relocate the address to where indexing data is stored. i put it on a mechanical drive.
disabling superfetch and turbo cache are really useful. ssd may be faster than hdd, but they are weak compared to ram speed. read caching really makes a difference.
hibernation file is not really useful on a desktop but it's a matter of taste. better have it on a mechanical drive if possible
another thing that really helps is putting firefox profiles on a ram drive. i develop on visual studio and there is a directory where lots of small files are written on build. having this temp folder on a ramdrive helps a lot regarding speed and writes as well.

HalfHuman

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2006
oops... i meant having windows superfect and turbo cache (not sure about actual names) active is really useful. the memory that is occupied by caching gets liberated quickly if it's needed by apps. in the mean time it can really help on read caching.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
None of my controllers mention AHCI, but my motherboard is set to use AHCI. I do see "AMD SATA Controller," is that it? I also don't see any ATA Channels as in the screen shot, just two IDE channels with no devices on them. I don't have an SSD, so no need for TRIM, but I would like to verify that I'm using AHCI.

nyrychvantel

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
This article is excellent for those SSD users who have just installed/reinstalled their OS. I will also forward this article to all my friends using SSD.

haplo602

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
who came up with that idiot description of hibernation ? it was invented to:

1. save power
2. restore the previous work withou having to start everything

I use hibernation a lot on my desktop just because I can leave all the network independent applications running and just power down. after power up, I am in the previous environment state and can immediately continue whatever I was doing before. No need to start applications and reopen saved files.

Excellent article and I agree with most of Doug's solid advice. However, as a compromise I would recommend that users reduce the System Restore SIZE versus turning it off all together. System Restore would not be needed in a 'perfect' world, but reformatting or reinstalling windows is a tough trade-off.

...Also, if you are using a monitored UPS {Uninterrupted Power Supply} you must leave Hibernation turned-on. Once the battery hits its' minimum, typically 10% it triggers Windows to go into Hibernation mode to prevent data loss.

tecmo34

Administrator
@jaquith... You bring up good and valid points on System Restore and hibernation with a UPS in play.

@JackNaylorPE... This another very good point on moving USER folder to another drive. It does free up additional space and keep down on writes.

@Chesteracorgi... There are many threads on tweaking, as the The SSD Optimization Guide is a very good one. The purpose of my article was not necessarily on what tweaks needed to perform but what actual benefits do you receive from performing them.

Duskfall

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
If i do the ahci setting in my controller or the registry setting which as I see is a universal setting in windows,wont it affect my other HDD's performance which aren't SSD's??

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
This is one of the most useful articles I have ever read here on Toms. Thanks for doing this and I look forward to seeing many more useful articles like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome SSD article. Goes over some points I already knew, but it's now in one easy to find place!

Also I have a suggestion. For example with System Restore and File Paging, you should make mention that you can simply apply them to your storage HDD instead of the SSD.

Oh and what's the point of telling us to disable Prefetch, which has no effect on the SSD and can certainly help the system stay faster by preloading onto RAM? Plenty of enthusiasts have 6, 8, or 12 gigs of RAM so it's not like space is a premium...

dgingeri

Distinguished
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]would have liked to see a micron controller thrown in the mix.[/citation]

Any controller other than Intel's ICH, AMD's chipsets, or an Enterprise level RAID contoller suck. JMicron and Marvel both have major stability problems with their controllers and drivers. I haven't successfully used either. This is one thing Intel and AMD both did right.

Of course, I now use 3Ware controllers (a 9650 8 port in my file server and a 9750, branded LSI but was designed and produced before LSI took them over, in my main machine) now. The extra hardware read cache makes a huge, HUGE difference in game level loads.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
These are the types of articles that I love to read at Toms...very informative and very detailed.

I'm not far from installing to my new SSD and will use many of the recommendations that I'm read here.

I only wish I could have seen how each feature affected performance - make each the independent variable. I realize it would have made a much more laborious set of tests, but I think it could be quite revealing about which features actually impacted performance vs the whole mess of tweaks.

Again...awesome job on the article.

mpavao81

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
Is it possible to use AHCI while using raid? I can't seem to be able to enable both. my bios only gives me the choice of RAID, AHCI, SATA, SATA Compatible, and SATA Enhanced,
I have 3 F120 corsair drives in raid 0 is there a way to have both AHCI with my RAID array

Status
Not open for further replies.