[SOLVED] Bent back cpu pins, pc boots fine, but B1 and B2 ram are hardware reserved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 11, 2020
I was upgrading my pc(new graphics card, case and extra 16gb of the same kind)then I had this stupid idea of changing the thermal paste of my Ryzen 7 2700X (wraith cooler) while the CPU was cold (I didn't know about thermal paste acting as adhesive when it was cold) .

I ended up removing the cooler while the CPU was stuck on it. When I tried to detach it from the cooler (using a screw driver and a lot of 90% alcohol) it fell of and bent about 5 pins.

I managed to get them all as straight as I can. I put everything back on and it did boot fine however the only problem was my B1 and B2 ram slots did not work anymore and half of the ram was hardware reserved. The motherboard reads that there are 4 ram sticks and it shows their capacity and frequency but the ones in B1 and B2 appear to be unusable and if I try to boot with any ram stick in B1 or B2 the pc won't boot.

The ram sticks work fine because I tested them one by one and they still work plus the old one no longer worked at dual channel (A1 B1) it only reads 8 gbs from A1 and the other is hardware reserved.

Any idea what this problem might be?

I tried reseating the cpu 2 times
I tried switching around the ram sticks and always only A1 and A2 work
I tried re straightening the bent pins
I tried updating the bios and resetting cmos
I tried adjusting the cooler

motherboard: MSI x470 m7 ac
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
GPU: RTX 2080 super
RAM sticks: Corsair vengeance RGB pro 3000 2 kits of 2x 8gb (they all have the same frequency and capacity)
PSU: RM 850x

CPU Z and Task manager
View: https://imgur.com/a/XaRCdl6

Last edited:
Solution
(I didn't know about thermal paste acting as adhesive when it was cold)
Classic problem for AMD CPU with their cooler. You need turn on around a mins to warm the paste before pulled out the heatsink.

I managed to get them all as straight as I can. I put everything back on and it did boot fine however the only problem was my B1 and B2 ram slots did not work anymore and half of the ram was hardware reserved. The motherboard reads that there are 4 ram sticks and it shows their capacity and frequency but the ones in B1 and B2 appear to be unusable and if I try to boot with any ram stick in B1 or B2 the pc won't boot.
Bent pins in some cases causing issue with memory controller and make the slot RAM undetected. Even you can...
(I didn't know about thermal paste acting as adhesive when it was cold)
Classic problem for AMD CPU with their cooler. You need turn on around a mins to warm the paste before pulled out the heatsink.

Bent pins in some cases causing issue with memory controller and make the slot RAM undetected. Even you can straight the bent pins, they will cause some issue.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.