[SOLVED] Bent & Broken CPU Pins 2X IN A ROW…

DirtySZN

Commendable
May 6, 2020
New Build

Specs:

Ryzen 5 5600X ???
RTX 3060 OC GAMING 12GB
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro(2x8GB) DDR4 RAM CL16 @3200MHz
NZXT C850 - NP-C850M 850W 80 Plus Gold PSU
ASUS ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero Motherboard
WD_BLACK 1TB SN750 SE NVME M.2 SSD
WD_BLACK 2TB 3.5” Gaming Performance HDD - 7200RPM
NZXT H710i ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case(White/Black)
GIM PSU Cable Extension Kit with Combs(White)

So I have everything I need(except for the NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm liquid CPU cooler - comes in tomorrow), And I put mostly everything together.

I’ve been trying to build this PC for the last month now buying parts each week and waiting for them to come in.

Two weeks ago I received a Ryzen 5600X CPU with around 8-10 bent pins… Purchased through Amazon and am in the return process.

I just purchased another 5600X in perfect condition - But this time I tried to put it into the AM4 Socket on my motherboard and it didn’t go smoothly as it just didn’t fall into place into the socket automatically when I tried dropping it in there. So there are at least 2-3 bent pins on this 5600X now and I’m wondering if I am to blame or if the socket on the motherboard is to blame…

So now I’ve gone through 2 CPU’s with no luck… I’m really frustrated because I never thought building a PC was as fragile as it is.

I went and linked images to the whole PC(currently), and images of the AM4 socket on the motherboard - I’m not sure if anyone will be able to spot anything because I’m not aware of what to be looking for.

Thank you guys in advance!!

Solution
New Build

Specs:

Ryzen 5 5600X ???
RTX 3060 OC GAMING 12GB

So I have everything I need(except for the NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm liquid CPU cooler - comes in tomorrow), And I put mostly everything together.

I’ve been trying to build this PC for the last month now buying parts each week and waiting for them to come in.

Two weeks ago I received a Ryzen 5600X CPU with around 8-10 bent pins… Purchased...

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
There is a lever to open the socket and then a small triangle on one of the corners to show how it aligns. Shouldn't be dropping it at all and particularly with the Ryzen CPU you have to be fairly careful about that aspect of them.

New Build

Specs:

Ryzen 5 5600X ???
RTX 3060 OC GAMING 12GB

Two weeks ago I received a Ryzen 5600X CPU with around 8-10 bent pins… Purchased through Amazon and am in the return process.

I just purchased another 5600X in perfect condition - But this time I tried to put it into the AM4 Socket on my motherboard and it didn’t go smoothly as it just didn’t fall into place into the socket automatically when I tried dropping it in there. So there are at least 2-3 bent pins on this 5600X now and I’m wondering if I am to blame or if the socket on the motherboard is to blame…

So now I’ve gone through 2 CPU’s with no luck… I’m really frustrated because I never thought building a PC was as fragile as it is.

I went and linked images to the whole PC(currently), and images of the AM4 socket on the motherboard - I’m not sure if anyone will be able to spot anything because I’m not aware of what to be looking for.

Thank you guys in advance!!
No images of the CPU, only the socket. It's hard to tell if any of the socket contacts are damaged. But even if they are it's unlikely they could bend a CPU pin unless you force it in.

Yes, it's a delicate process. Very much so at times.

One way to make sure the CPU pins are ready to go in the socket is to run a credit card between the rows and columns. That will bring them all in alignment in both directions. Don't do it too fast because it will find a pin that's way out of straight too...and bend it all the way over if you're not careful. Did I say it's a delicate process?

Make sure the locking lever is all the way open...fully vertical and it may 'pop' a little bit to get there. Align the arrows on CPU and socket, set the CPU down and gently move it side to side/back and forth to help the pins settle into the tiny holes. Don't force, if it won't go down then pick it up and examine sockets and pins again.

Solution
Yeah the CPU should just fall into place with the lever up, can't really bend any pins if it just falls in, never force it. If the pins are still there, you can try to unbend them, I find that a sowing needle works good and a credit card to align the pins, if they do break off, you can install it into the board and see if it still boots, could be a good chance them pins were not really needed or they were just extra ground pins.

I got lucky with a Athlon x2 6000+ years ago I had a pin bend so bad when I bent it back it broke off, the CPU still worked fine with the missing pin.