Question Bent mobo

snowctrl

Distinguished
Question - can a motherboard getting bent cause its death ie cause it to completely not function?

Two recent scenarios - first was a newly built custom computer a friend bought that arrived with motherboard standoffs missing such that the board flexed significantly under the weight of the GPU. Computer was DOA, did absolutely nothing when power switch pressed. I took it apart for him and confirmed the RAM and GPU worked presuming a dead PSU (it was very cheap), but running the mobo, CPU and RAM connected to my PSU, it still did absolutely nothing - so presumed motherboard failure. Friend was able to return system for a full refund fortunately.

Scenario two - trying to fix a dead MSI Raider GE63 for another friend, this laptop apparently used to work but often proved difficult to restart after shutdown (so he never turned it off). Now it is totally dead, hence friend seeking my help. On taking it apart, the only issue I see is that someone (probably said friend) has previously re-assembled it with a screw of the wrong length fitted such that the motherboard is bent. And now this laptop shows no signs of life. Power adapter and power cable to motherboard confirmed correct and functional.

So... can bending the motherboard, kill it? I would presume yes.... but I've never had to think about it seriously before.

Can anyone shed light on this? Similar experiences? A definite answer even?

Help appreciated

Bending a motherboard has the potential to kill it.

Although the chances of killing it are of course going to vary by how much it is bent and where it is bent.

One thing that bending can cause....it can cause surface mount components to detach from the traces....and I'm sure there are other things bending can cause....like stressing the crap out of the ICs.....even if the solder joints hold.

snowctrl

Distinguished
Bending a motherboard has the potential to kill it.

Although the chances of killing it are of course going to vary by how much it is bent and where it is bent.

One thing that bending can cause....it can cause surface mount components to detach from the traces....and I'm sure there are other things bending can cause....like stressing the crap out of the ICs.....even if the solder joints hold.

Thanks, that's very much what I thought

snowctrl

Distinguished
I wish there was a way of knowing how much flexing / bending would cause a death - it wouldn't have been a significant amount in either of the above cases... they have in common that I can find no other explanation

I wish there was a way of knowing how much flexing / bending would cause a death - it wouldn't have been a significant amount in either of the above cases... they have in common that I can find no other explanation
That's a tough question....but here's the thing....you aren't just stressing the board....you are also stressing all the surface mount components on the board.....and all it takes is the right one to fail to get a dead motherboard.

You might try to straighten the board and maybe you will get lucky...but I tend to doubt it. I think it would be real lucky.