Best 19" monitor for both text and graphics

palmpal

Distinguished
May 20, 2002
Hello All,

I am new to the forum and decided to post my first question. Currently I'm researching information re: 19 inch CRT monitors. I would like to make a purchase soon since my NEC is on the blink. I am upgrading from a 14 inch monitor. Briefly I am looking for a monitor with excellent graphics to use in desktop publishing and photo editing. I also need to have the best text possible for use in wordprocessing, spreadsheets, etc. I have reviewed monitors offered by ViewSonic, Dell, Sony and Samsung. I have decided to purchase my monitor online to take advantage of the larger selection available. I will spend between $300 to $400. I have seen the Dell P991 and have read reviews on the P95f, G420S and 900NF. Are there other series offered by these vendors that provide great text and graphics? Thanks for your comments.

palmpal

Distinguished
May 20, 2002
An add-on question to my original post. Does anyone know where to view higher end monitors? I can't seem to find any professional or graphic series monitors at the retail stores. Does everyone buy these monitors without viewing them? Thanks!

palmpal

Distinguished
May 20, 2002
Well I made my decision for a new 19" monitor. I did not receive a response to my earlier post so I spent considerable time searching the archives. This was not an easy decision. So much of the research data is generalized! I was spending way too much time in research!

I ended up purchasing the Dell P992.

.24 - .25 Trinitron
1024 x 768 @ 85 Hz
1600 x 1200 @ 85 Hz

I have to say the main reason for my decision was seeing a P991 monitor up close and test driving it. I was impressed with the text quality and photos taken on our 3.3 Mega Pixel camera were outstanding. I hope the P992 version is comparable in quality. This monitor appeared in one of the Top 10 reviews in the number 10 spot. I'm sure it lost points due to the high cost. I received 10% off from Dell and 1/2 off shipping. I'm okay with the money I spent - I can't help but wonder if a Viewsonic wouldn't have been better. With the help of this forum I finally determined that my resolution needs would not surpass 1600 x 1200 so that narrowed my selection down. Still, it wasn't an easy decision since the monitors I was interested in are not offered at the retail stores for viewing.

I will post again to let everyone know if I made the right decision. I should have it by next Wednesday. Can't wait - my current monitor is so bad I'm squinting just to type this post!

A suggestion for the forum. Can someone post a poll to the Poll Forum asking what monitors people have and what there primary use is? I found it very hard to find any information on the type of monitor used by graphics professionals.

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Sorry no one could answer your question. Dell, now that's a brand I never thought of before. Monitors are never really that thoroughly reviewed because so much of the actual testing to rate a monitor is evidently subjective. When I look for reviews and personal accounts of monitors I focus on the negative and the flaws, and weigh those instead of the positive. People tend to be ecstatic about their monitors without really questioning if that monitor is as good for them as it is for everyone else.

Most likely your monitor will be so crystal clear once you get it, you'll wonder how you ever survived on your current monitor. So look forward to that. I did consider looking at Dell and Gateway monitors too but I have a general dislike of those two companies and have my own personal boycott of them. I've had experiences with both companies' computers, and the extent to which they lead customers on to think that they are getting something that's of good quality just doesn't sit right with me. I'm the kind of person that reads reviews of everything, anyway. That's just me.

logger

Distinguished
May 1, 2002
So, what do you think the best 19crt apgrill for under 300. I know a lot of people here like the viewsonic but I looked at them at best buy and didnt care for the pic quality. Same for the samsung 95 series. I know there on spliter at the stores, but the sonys looked great on the splitters. Anything as good or better than the sonys for less than 300(sonys too expensive)

palmpal

Distinguished
May 20, 2002
Two more days until my monitor comes!

Thanks for the comments to my post. I had heard grumblings about Gateway but not Dell. I discovered a forum called Dell Talk that revealed some problems with their monitors. I'm hoping that I'll have success with mine.

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the new monitors that Viewsonic is offering. Here is a link to a recent announcement. Maybe I'll have to get two monitors!!

http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardwarecentral/news/4219/1/

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Yep, Gateway has been having trouble lately, causing them to have to cut back on their customer service to compete and cut corners in a lot of other places. The quality of their products I don't know anything about, but I know a lot of people really hate their customer service and product replacement.

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
viewsonics aren't bad. don't judge them on waht you've seen at best buy. chances are the ones you saw at best buy were the A or E series. if you go with the G or P series i think you'll find what your looking for.

repeat after me, we are all individuals!

palmpal

Distinguished
May 20, 2002
I wanted to check back with my comments on my new monitor. I ended up getting the Dell P992 Trinitron. I Love My Monitor! Just as others who have upgraded to a larger monitor, I wondered if I had gone overboard as far as size. It only took me a few minutes of use to realize the size is perfect.

I haven't had a chance to play with the on screen controls. In fact, my one complaint was in the Dell website and my ability to access some of the documentation. Because I hadn't purchased a "system" I had trouble logging in to different areas and haven't been able to access the guide. All of my emails to Dell have been answered promptly and I'm confident I'll find what I need.

One suggestion to Dell would be to include a one page instruction sheet about cleaning instructions. I found out just in time that you can't clean the monitor screen with any type of window cleaner since it will ruin the non-glare coating.

The quality of the text is very crisp and the graphics are great as well. I have a slight problem with the screen wavering but realized this is due to an electrical problem with my home. When another appliance is operating at the same time I'm using my monitor the screen wavers. As soon as the appliance stops the problem disappears.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good website for information on how to thoroughly check out my monitor before it's too late to return it for a replacement? I guess I'm looking for info on any obvious things that I may be overlooking.

Thanks for all the great advice!

TRENDING THREADS