"Best" 19inch monitor? Gettin very mixed input :/

Sduibek

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2003
Well people say that the higher end NEC's are great. People swear by the P95f+B from Viewsonic, and also just LOVE the Sony monitors.

But it seems to me there are many people that also say they're experienced big problems with these, namely NEC, but i've read some pretty bad stuff about a couple "high-end" Viewsonics.

What i'm wondering is, what's the "best" CRT I can get (provided i'm not paying over 400/500 USD.. i'm not rich, lol), without paying for something that i'll be completely unhappy with, and possibly without paying for a brandname. (read: SONY)

I've heard good things about Lacie - http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10037 but don't have much experience with them or reviews to back it up.

All I care about is quality, really... just because it's by Viewsonics and "Viewsonic is the best" doesn't matter.. if it's a completely uknown company that's even better, then i'm supporting the little guy :p

thanks for reading this, hope to get some useful feedback :) *out*

"How could I be broke? I had 6 million dollars in the bank!"
"Yeah... remember that time when you bought the Six Million Dollar Man?"
"HELL yeah! ... ... Oh."

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Take a look at the manuals and specs for the Lacies and higher-end NEC montiors. They're using the same tubes. I had a Veiwsonic pf775 (17") which I absolutely loved. Figured I would try out their p95f+B based on my experience. I sent it back the next day. Don't know if it was a defective unit or what (I sure hope it was). I know have 2 NEC FP912sb monitors and love them.

So if you want everything Lacie but don't want to pay the price, go with either the FP912sb or the Diamond 930sb. The only Sonys I've ever cared for were their top of the line products. Everything else of theirs seems to be mediocre.

dhlucke

Polypheme
I'm trying to buy my brother a good 19" crt and I have been reading and searching high and low.

It seems that the NEC fp912sb is recommended by just about everybody but it is discontinued.

Is the fe991sb, which you can get, in the same league?

Is the 930sb better? If it's not, why does it cost more?

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
The FE991sb looks like it should be good. The FP line is NEC's top CRT model with the FE right below it. I would say at "normal" resolutions (something like 1280x1024@85, etc) it should be as good. It's the same tube, I don't really know how tubes work. But I'd imagine they have a way of tuning the frequency for different models. I went with the FP912 mainly because it can run 1600x1200@85. That's really all you're getting with the FP line, the ability to run at higher rez/refresh if desired.

The 930sb and "Diamond Pro" line is Mitsubishi's equivalent to NEC's 912sb and "FP" line. It's the same monitor, just branded by Mitsubishi and for some reason costs a little more. I would think NEC could go higher retail than Mitsu.

I didn't realize it until I got the monitors. But one thing I really like about these are the footprint. These things aren't any bigger (well maybe barely) than the 17" Viewsonic I had. And the 930sb will carry the same size as will the Lacie. NEC will be my monitor of choice for a bit (at least until I can sell my kidneys for a Sony Artisan) :tongue:

dhlucke

Polypheme
Thanks. I think I'll just get him the 930sb then since it's available. Some fool was actually selling the fp912 online with $85 shipping so I'd rather get the 930sb.

HALVET

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2003
Best 19" Monitor Lacie Electron19Blue IV This is Best Monitor. Perfect Color Perfect Sharp.

[yeþil]P4 2.4 (800 Mhz)|2x256Mb DDR(400Mhz KingStone)|19" LaCýe BlueIV|Asus P4P800 865Pe|Creative 5.1 Platýnýum Cambridge SoundWroks 2100 5+1|PoworColor 256MB ATI 9600Pro|Asus 52x|AOPEN Kasa [yeþil]

Sduibek

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2003
Okay, after busying myself with other things for a while, I realized I still haven't purchased a monitor. I've actually gone the opposite direction, and am now thinking of getting a 17inch instead of 19. Heh. Anybody got ideas for this one?

"How could I be broke? I had 6 million dollars in the bank!"
"Yeah... remember that time when you bought the Six Million Dollar Man?"
"HELL yeah! ... ... Oh."

alice

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2004
i need some answer too, i decided to but viewsonic 19", but if im not mistaken there are 3 typical product : p95f , p95+, p95+b, what is the difference betwwen these 3? thx

Darfur

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2003
I currently have the Samsung Syncmaster 955DF. It can be bought new for about $180 now. I've had no problems with it and I've never noticed anything bad about the picture.

One thing about it, it won't display in 1600x1200 although it's advertised as that. The desktop will scroll if set above 1280x1024.

SAITCH0

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
I just got myself a viewsonic p95f+ and im very happy with it.Monitor does not cost a fortune and deliver the goods.

miniklobb

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2004
well this might not help too much but don't buy a MAG i had one start smoking and sparking in front of me while i was using it so...

TooBored

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004
I vote for the NEC/Mitsubishi DP930SB. Sure, it costs about 40$ than the similar NEC model, but you go from .25-.27 aperature grill to .24. I'm willing to pay $40 extra for that.