Question Best 24-30" Flatscreen Monitor that doesn't have LED backlighting ?

Michael24

Prominent
Jan 17, 2023
Lets say i want "classic" fluorescent/ccfl backlighting, 24-30" (actually 2x 24" and 1x 27-30") what are my best options?

1.New Monitors
Are there any new monitors (including commerical) that fit the criteria?
I doubt it but i wanted to ask anyway.

2.4K Monitors
From my research 4K monitors for the masses startet to appear around 2013.
I have not found an LED free monitor post 2010.
So once again i doubt it but are there any 24-30" 4K monitors without LED backlighting/oled?

3.The next best thing

These are the best i managed to find.

24": Dell 2408WFP
27": Dell U2711
30": Dell 3008WFP

Are there even better ones?

I guess the question is why do you want to go with the antiquated technology and use CCFL?

In terms of best without an LED backlight that would be any OLED screen. OLED is an emissive technology where each individual pixel lights itself (no backlight needed). Due to this they have an infinate contrast ratio and are beautiful to look at. However, they can also get pixel burn in so you would have to be careful of that.

Michael24

Prominent
Jan 17, 2023
I guess the question is why do you want to go with the antiquated technology and use CCFL?

Picture quality and health concerns.

I was playing around with a high end crt for retro purposes and noticed i get way less fatigue and a (in some regards) better picture than with my pretty high quality Eizo EV2450 IPS LED LCD display. I mean i pulled that off using a CRT (!)
I did some research and came to the conclusion that a non LED screen might delivers better results. (There are people saying the picture quality is better and they cut blue light emission in half)

Edit:
I should note that i use the monitor in a room without daylight.
As far as i know LCD Monitors are better with daylight while CRTs are better when it's dark.

In terms of best without an LED backlight that would be any OLED screen. OLED is an emissive technology where each individual pixel lights itself (no backlight needed). Due to this they have an infinate contrast ratio and are beautiful to look at. However, they can also get pixel burn in so you would have to be careful of that.

While still led i get its something different. Opinions also vary.
This stuff is still pretty new and there aren't many choices for pc monitors.
The ones that exist are expensive: https://www.amazon.com/LG-27EP950-B-Ultrafine-Display-DCI-P3/dp/B09M61MNGV?th=1

I'm not willing to go this route right now but we indeed have an oled tv and oled iphone and i like it. But i'm not staring at these devices nearly as much as i do at my desktop monitor.

Last edited:
Picture quality and health concerns.

I was playing around with a high end crt for retro purposes and noticed i get way less fatigue and a (in some regards) better picture than with my pretty high quality Eizo EV2450 IPS LED LCD display. I mean i pulled that off using a CRT (!)
I did some research and came to the conclusion that a non LED screen might delivers better results. (There are people saying the picture quality is better and they cut blue light emission in half)

Edit:
I should note that i use the monitor in a room without daylight.
As far as i know LCD Monitors are better with daylight while CRTs are better when it's dark.

While still led i get its something different. Opinions also vary.
This stuff is still pretty new and there aren't many choices for pc monitors.
The ones that exist are expensive: https://www.amazon.com/LG-27EP950-B-Ultrafine-Display-DCI-P3/dp/B09M61MNGV?th=1

I'm not willing to go this route right now but we indeed have an oled tv and oled iphone and i like it. But i'm not staring at these devices nearly as much as i do at my desktop monitor.
While CCFL's do have lower blue light emission (which can cause macular degeneration), they still emit blue light. You can easily reduce this by using computer glasses designed to block blue light. Blue light can be one of the causes for fatigue, however, in your case it is more likely the refresh rate of your monitor (60Hz). While you cannot see something refreshing at 60Hz, your brain does perceive it and that causes a lot of fatigue. Going with a higher refresh rate generally reduces fatigue.

Picture quality between CCFLs and modern LEDs are about the same when looking at quality of monitor. The modern mid > high end have better picture quality and extended color spaces.

Michael24

Prominent
Jan 17, 2023
Blue light can be one of the causes for fatigue, however, in your case it is more likely the refresh rate of your monitor (60Hz). While you cannot see something refreshing at 60Hz, your brain does perceive it and that causes a lot of fatigue. Going with a higher refresh rate generally reduces fatigue.

Maybe you're right.
But that is fixed with these lcd monitors right? Or can i set it at something higher like 85hz or 100hz?

When it comes to the original question:

24": Dell 2408WFP
27": Dell U2711
30": Dell 3008WFP

Nobody has mentioned any others so far. Are these indeed the best?

Maybe you're right.
But that is fixed with these lcd monitors right? Or can i set it at something higher like 85hz or 100hz?
The monitor need to support a refresh rate higher than 60Hz. There are a lot of good non gaming monitors out there with 100+ Hz refresh rate. Even getting to 75Hz helps a lot.

When it comes to the original question:

Nobody has mentioned any others so far. Are these indeed the best?
For their time those were some of the best monitors you could buy. They are stuck at 60Hz refresh rates but have great colors and viewing angles. The 2408 and 3008 are also 16:10 monitors so you get a more vertical pixels.

Michael24

Prominent
Jan 17, 2023
I'm currently trying to buy a nice CRT (Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070sb or rebadged version) in order to use that for a couple months on a daily basis.
If this indeed fixes my fatigue problem longterm i will start experimenting with CCFL and high refresh rate/hz monitors.