Best 240W GPU?

antoniodireito

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015
My computer (HP Elite 8000 SFF) has a 240 watt power supply. Im looking for a GPU with 240 watts or less power requirement that can run garrys mod, 60 fps, whether it be medium or low settings. Please point me in the right direction, i was looking at a GTX 750 ti but that has 300w requirment, would that damage my computer? THx

Solution

As someone may have already have mentioned, you might be able to transplant your PC's innards into a standard PC tower and put a new PSU in that if you can't find one that fits your SFF.

If that isn't an option either, then buying something newer based on standard form factors on the used market might be your next best option.

InvalidError

Titan
The main problem with low power PSUs (if we omit fraudulous ratings and outdated rating methodology) is quality more than quantity. On a good quality 240W PSU following the ATX12V power distribution (at least 80% of the total power rating must be available on +12V rails), you should easily be able to run a GTX1050Ti power-wise.

On the other hand, there aren't many good quality PSUs below 400W and I have no idea how good the OEM PSU used in the HP Elite usually is.

antoniodireito

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015

The gtx 1050ti would run on a 240 power supply no problem? If so ill buy it

antoniodireito

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015

Yeah this computer is shit and i read online the gpu is unchangeable.. So im limited t osomething under 250W pretty much

InvalidError

Titan

As I wrote, it depends on the PSU's quality and power output distribution. A 1050Ti without PCIe power connector uses less than 80W, which shouldn't be a problem for a decent quality 240W.

For an old Core2 PC though, it might not be worth bothering with a GPU more powerful than a 750Ti and you should be able to get one of those pretty cheap these days.

antoniodireito

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487025 the 750Ti has a minimum 300w usage though?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Asking about individual GPUs isn't going to do anything until you actually look at the power distribution and tell us; how that 240W output is distributed across the rails is a very big deal.

antoniodireito

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015

How do i do that>

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

There should be a chart directly on the PSU.

antoniodireito

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/275342/Hp-Compaq-Elite-8000-Cmt.html?page=76#manual there it is on page 76. So can i run a 750ti? page 77 has more info

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

I certainly wouldn't. That's 168W of +12V, which is the important one. Given that this is a decade old, I would absolutely not push the envelope.

antoniodireito

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015

After seeing that could you recomend me the most powerful GPU that would not fry my whole computer? thanks for your help im super nooby at this stuf

InvalidError

Titan

All the entry-level GPUs worth having are in the 70-100W range - I'm talking about the GPU's own power consumption here, not the GPU manufacturer's bogus 300+W recommended or "required" PSU rating. My whole system including LCD and a few accessories uses only 220W under full load and that includes PSU losses, which means that my PSU's total output load is well below 200W despite the 1050 "requiring" a 300W PSU.

Considering that the PSU only has 160ish watts on the +12V rail and is over a decade old though, I wouldn't recommend putting a decent GPU in there before upgrading to a PSU with more capacity on 12V. If you put any GPU worth having in there, the PC might not boot, may randomly restart or the PSU may fail altogether due to an overloaded 12V rail. At least not before having a look inside the PSU to see how well it has been holding up and possibly putting in new high quality capacitors in if the original ones aren't already top-brands like Nippon/United Chemi-Con, Rubycon or Panasonic/Matsushita.

antoniodireito

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015

Well my psu is unupgradable. Im stuck with this shit. I was thinking of getting a gtx 750.. is that dangerous for my system? Is there anything; anything at all, that wouldnt destroy my system, that would help me with fps in cs go and gmod?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

You essentially run into the same problem. I would only feel safe with something lower-powered. A GT 740 maxes out at around 60W, and that's as far as I'd push and even I wouldn't feel super confident about that.

These types of PCs are absolutely horrid for upgrades, unfortunately. You're honestly better off finding some old used Core2Quad mini-tower on eBay and slapping in an entry-level GPU.

antoniodireito

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015

Thanks for all your help I'll look into it thanks

InvalidError

Titan

As someone may have already have mentioned, you might be able to transplant your PC's innards into a standard PC tower and put a new PSU in that if you can't find one that fits your SFF.

If that isn't an option either, then buying something newer based on standard form factors on the used market might be your next best option.

Solution