Best $30 CPU fan for Pentium e2160?

thefyn

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
I currently have a Cooler master hyper tx 2 refuses to play nice with my mobo (it is so heavy/large it keeps pulling away from the motherboard and is not tight on the CPU.

I read a few reviews and a lot of people are having this problem with it.

Are there any smaller fans that are just as effective?

I mean look at it!

coolermaster_hyper_tx_cooler.jpg

It is a miracle it fits in most PC's :kaola:

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
It's not any larger than many others. Did you make sure the 4 pins are really locked down on the mobo? Many times you have to actually remove the mobo and inspect the back to ensure the pins are locked.

thefyn

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008

No. I just took it out of the package and rested it gently on the outside of the PC case. Should I have done something else?

thefyn

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008

Thanks

I'll give it a shot.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007

hahahah, get real. I asked a qiuestion, looks like you ned to add muffler bearings and blinker fluid.

next time remove the Mobo for ANY HS install.................

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
And the one you just decided to give a shot to is twice as big. I think your main problem is making uneducated decisions when it comes to buying and building computer equiptment.

The CM heatsink fits perfectly fine on any motherboard, as long as it's installed correctly. Hell, I think CM even offers a bolt kit for it, to get rid of the annoying push pins. But if you're going to throw away a perfectly good heatsink, you can send it my way. I'll even pay shipping.

(Oh, and word of advice. Being a smartass to the people that are trying to help is the best way to get absolutely no good help at all.)

sheytan

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007
With the Cooler master hyper tx 2 u need too puch the pins insanely hard, I had the same problem, make sure the pins are in "locked mode" before u puch. Remove the plastic "stuff" at the back of the cooler then u press, put it back after the cooler is locked on the mb.

thefyn

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008

You know that was what I did to get it on there. I really started sweating when I could hear the mobo creak bend you know?

But then I moved after buying a new house, and it popped off again and I thought to hell with that thing you know? I don;t want to worry about my fan when I move my PC etc etc.

I hated the experience of getting it on, and even when it was on solid it still managed to pop off in transit and bend pins, pull out my DVD drive cables etc etc while it was rattling around loose in my PC case.

It rocks HARD for cooling but is the least reliable fan cpu fan I have used.

thefyn

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008

What help did he offer exactly? He said you cant get a cooler for $30 then accused me of not even installing it properly.

And as for you saying I made an uneducated guess when building a PC: My PC is the $500 PC from Toms hardware :) Down to the mobo, CPU, Fan, graphics card, memory etc. I trusted their opinion and the good comments the DIY build received so I ordered the same parts and did the same overclock they did and got great results.

Buuuuut long term the fan is not working out for me.

So the irony of your post is two fold. I am ASKING FOR ADVICE on this forum to get educated guesses for the new fan. But you accuse me of making an uneducated guess in the first instance, which was in fact the opinion of the people who run this website. haha. I am drowning in a whirlpool of irony.

thefyn

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008

These are from a single webpage, all individuals who reviewed the hs/fan:

Weaknesses: Heavy weight, bulky dimension, awkward locking mechanism for AMD Socket 754/939/AM2 and Intel Socket LGA775.

Weaknesses: Socket 775 requires a lot of force to install. Only 3 pin fan connector. No 4 pin fan for motherboard speed control.

Weaknesses: Stupid push-pin system;

Weaknesses: Difficult to install on intel 775 Difficult to mount

Weaknesses: huge; difficult mounting

Weaknesses: Can be difficult to install

Weaknesses: Harder to install on Intel Processors

Weaknesses: the locking system requires some practice to get it right. Bulky.

Weaknesses: bad for intel. Unfortunately, cooler-master cuts corner and stick with punch-down-and-hope-it-stick design for intel. shame on you cooler master. who knows, maybe enough force and stress, intel motherboard may break.

Weaknesses: Push pins, would not recommend for quads or high overclocks

Weaknesses: -uses the intel weak push pin design (unless you buy a bolt thru kit) -doesn't cool as well as higher priced units

http://reviews.pricegrabber.com/cooling-fans/m/42297183/

Now is it slightly possible, within the realms of reason, that I may just be right and the push pin mounting system may be a little weak for long term use?

Thanks to the peeps who actually recommended me a solution BTW.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
The two solutions you got were exactly what you didnt want, if you care to notice. The freezer 7 has the same exact push pin design that the CM sink does, and is around the same size. The ziggy is even more top heavy then what you have now. But if you payed careful attention you would know that you could get a simple bolt through kit for your CM sink for tons less than just replacing it.

And throwing pricegrabber reviews in my face is funny. I'd be better off polling walmart customers.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
And you still bought the cooler after those reviews. And moving a PC is always fraught with danger. Things fall out and pop off. I guess your too new to understand these things. I've been at it over 20 years, you?

Have you removed the mobo and made sure your pins were locked in properly. Now you have said it popped off, I can pretty much say you didn't do it right. When you decide to remove the mobo and make sure the pins are installed, or get a bolt through kit, then you'll get help.

thefyn

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008

Are you even reading what I write? I said I got the cooler because it was in TH spec list. The reviews I noticed when researching the problem I was having with it.

I DO NOT WANT IT. It over stresses the mobo during installation and the top heavy design of it makes for more wear and tear and mishaps when you move it.

What more proof did you need that it is not designed well? I gave you a dozen reviews specifically mentioning the push pins from one single page.

Hold on..don't tell me. I didn't remove the motherboard and I didn't push the pins in fully right? lol.

20 years eh? I am going to write to Pricegrabber.com to ask them to remove all neg comments ref to the installation of the TX 2 because you have been building PC's for 20 years.

thefyn

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008

Lol.

Who cares what you think then if you are willing to blow off all of those real opinions about the quality of the push pin feet on the TX 2.

I am not complaining about push pin feet in general. I am complaining about the specific Cooler Master Hyper TX 2 QUALITY. How you have to push it in so hard that the resulting stress wants to force the pins back out. Someone already mentioned you have to push an "insane amount" on the pins for them all to pop. So even people who installed it properly mention the extra yard you have to go to force it on.

And how strange it is that you presume so much, that from 2 totally different manufacturers that I am going to have the same problem. Because they have the same method of locking for an INTEL STANDARD mount. haha. The people who recommended me alternatives in this thread didn't mention they had installation and stability issues.

You seem like an aloof person. Ragging on the suggestions in this thread, the elitist comment about price grabber reviews being Walmart shopperesq.