Best AIO for Corsair Spec-02

mekyle99

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2016
Going to an i5-8600k, and i don't trust my hyper 212 evo with cooling it, espescially considering im going to be overclocking.

Solution
Actually an AIO will provide little to no increase in cooling ability over a 212 evo, in fact the 212 evo may perform better depending on model.

AIO cooling will keep the temps lower for a sudden burst but for gaming or rendering (even more so with overclocking) the cpu will reach the same temps, just take a few seconds longer.

With AIO it is basically a throw-away part. All liquid evaporates under heat and after a few years enough of the coolant will have evaporated that it no longer cools properly (or even enough fluid loss to damage the pump). Since you cant just add fluid to an AIO this makes it a throw-away part.
Actually an AIO will provide little to no increase in cooling ability over a 212 evo, in fact the 212 evo may perform better depending on model.

AIO cooling will keep the temps lower for a sudden burst but for gaming or rendering (even more so with overclocking) the cpu will reach the same temps, just take a few seconds longer.

With AIO it is basically a throw-away part. All liquid evaporates under heat and after a few years enough of the coolant will have evaporated that it no longer cools properly (or even enough fluid loss to damage the pump). Since you cant just add fluid to an AIO this makes it a throw-away part.

Solution

mekyle99

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2016

I was thinking of going with a h80i GT

120mm AIO is worse than a Hyper 212 EVO or Cryorig H7 or similar.

You have to get up to 240-280mm cooler to be marginally better, bare minimum would be the 100i. Once you start getting to top/front mount ones then case fitment becomes a factor.

I would put the 212 evo on it for now, and if it is not good enough than go to a 2 fan air setup from Cryorig or Noctua.
They will perform as well as an AIO, run quieter, and zero risk of a leak making for a very very bad day

mekyle99

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2016

Alright, i want to at least get past 4.5ghz when overclocking my 8600k, but i might be wondering if thats too much...