[SOLVED] Best air Heatsink/cooler for an i7-3770 when OC'd to 4.3 GHZ?

ReignOfHell

Commendable
Aug 7, 2020
I currently have the stock intel cpu cooler, which idles between 40-55'c idle (it's been hot lately where i live so that probably doesn't help) and it climbs up to 100'c when overclocking to 4.3ghz while gaming (even happens when setting it to 3.9). So, i figured it would be a good time to consider replacing the CPU Heatsink/fan.

What would be a suitable replacement? I use a Cooler Master Storm Enforcer Mid sized case, so that would factor into the size, I also live in canada so that is a possible cost issue. I've been debating on the Hyper 212X double fan 120mm cooler, but heard a LOT of reviews saying its a pain to install, that it can hinder ram slot usage (i currently use 4x4gb corsair Vengeance 1600hz DDR3), or the Noctua variant of the same size. I wouldn't mind a 'modular' CPU Cooler, however, if it impedes the ram slots, then it would be pointless for me to get.

Solution
I currently have the stock intel cpu cooler, which idles between 40-55'c idle (it's been hot lately where i live so that probably doesn't help) and it climbs up to 100'c when overclocking to 4.3ghz while gaming (even happens when setting it to 3.9). So, i figured it would be a good time to consider replacing the CPU Heatsink/fan.

What would be a suitable replacement? I use a Cooler Master Storm Enforcer Mid sized case, so that would factor into the size, I also live in canada so that is a possible cost issue. I've been debating on the Hyper 212X double fan 120mm cooler, but heard a LOT of reviews saying its a pain to install, that it can hinder ram slot usage (i currently use 4x4gb corsair Vengeance 1600hz DDR3), or the Noctua...

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014

What would be a suitable replacement? I use a Cooler Master Storm Enforcer Mid sized case, so that would factor into the size, I also live in canada so that is a possible cost issue. I've been debating on the Hyper 212X double fan 120mm cooler, but heard a LOT of reviews saying its a pain to install, that it can hinder ram slot usage (i currently use 4x4gb corsair Vengeance 1600hz DDR3), or the Noctua variant of the same size. I wouldn't mind a 'modular' CPU Cooler, however, if it impedes the ram slots, then it would be pointless for me to get.

Almost any kind of aftermarket cooler would be an improvement over the stock Intel cooler-- it's that bad. A Hyper 212 equivalent is good enough to do the job, 4.3 isn't difficult to cool. I do agree that H212 isn't pleasant to install.

Gammaxx 400 and its many variants use mounting mechanism similar to Noctua's, just feels more basic IMO. This is the budget option. RAM clearance is excellent, the fan sits behind the RAM slots so no worries.

Scythe's coolers are also good for RAM clearance, Fuma 2 and Mugen 5 comes to mind. Mugen has the fan behind RAM slots, Fuma 2 has the fan covering only the rearmost slot.

NH-D15S is the offset variant of D15, also to give better RAM clearance.

If you want maximum RAM clearance, there's the option to go AIO. Essentially limitless clearance there. Something at H80i/H100i performance would be great.

Solution

ReignOfHell

Commendable
Aug 7, 2020
Almost any kind of aftermarket cooler would be an improvement over the stock Intel cooler-- it's that bad. A Hyper 212 equivalent is good enough to do the job, 4.3 isn't difficult to cool. I do agree that H212 isn't pleasant to install.

Gammaxx 400 and its many variants use mounting mechanism similar to Noctua's, just feels more basic IMO. This is the budget option. RAM clearance is excellent, the fan sits behind the RAM slots so no worries.

Scythe's coolers are also good for RAM clearance, Fuma 2 and Mugen 5 comes to mind. Mugen has the fan behind RAM slots, Fuma 2 has the fan covering only the rearmost slot.

NH-D15S is the offset variant of D15, also to give better RAM clearance.

If you want maximum RAM clearance, there's the option to go AIO. Essentially limitless clearance there. Something at H80i/H100i performance would be great.

The NH-D15 was actually one of the ones i was looking into, but is there a variant with more ways to put fans onto it, or would the fan inside the heatsink be more than enough? was originally considering https://www.newegg.ca/noctua-nh-d15-chromax-black/p/13C-0005-001H5 that one, but yeah the reviews definitely tell a story about the ram hindrance.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
The NH-D15 was actually one of the ones i was looking into, but is there a variant with more ways to put fans onto it, or would the fan inside the heatsink be more than enough? was originally considering https://www.newegg.ca/noctua-nh-d15-chromax-black/p/13C-0005-001H5 that one, but yeah the reviews definitely tell a story about the ram hindrance.

You'd want the D15S, the D15 isn't offset. You can mount the fans either in 3 fans config (no benefit really), 2 fans (front mid/mid back), or just the 1 fan. 2 fans give very slightly better temps over 1 fan, so you can get away with just the stock 1 fan in the middle.

ReignOfHell

Commendable
Aug 7, 2020
You'd want the D15S, the D15 isn't offset. You can mount the fans either in 3 fans config (no benefit really), 2 fans (front mid/mid back), or just the 1 fan. 2 fans give very slightly better temps over 1 fan, so you can get away with just the stock 1 fan in the middle.
Ah, k, figured that was the case. Alright. thanks.

D

Deleted member 2720853

I'd rather get the NH-U12A over the D15S. Cools better and has way better RAM/PCIe compatibility, also easier to move your hands around in the case. Made the switch from a D15S to a U12A, never going back.