[SOLVED] Best airflow and component layout for NZXT H710i

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxnty

Prominent
Mar 4, 2021
So for my first build, I'm getting an NZXT H710i and I need help on airflow and how to have a good airflow pattern as well as is this case good for my components and what layout should I have?

MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix x570-e (https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-x570-e-gaming-model/)

GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 (https://store.asus.com/us/item/202009AM150000004)

AIO: NZXT Kraken x73 (360mm radiator) (https://www.nzxt.com/products/kraken-x73-rgb)

PSU: Corsair RMx 1000W (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsai...=198&refdomain=pcpartpicker.com&skuId=6073500)

Solution
So the CPU cooler you have chosen is a water cooled one and has a 360mm radiator with 3 120mm fans. This is quite large and only leaves you the the two options I mentioned. I will try to go into extreme detail.

Assume the front of the case is to the right.

The case comes with 3 120mm fans in the front as intake, blowing front to back. One at the rear as exhaust blowing also front to back (pulling air out at the rear).

Option 1)

Water cooler manufacturers typically recommend installing a water cooling radiator as an INTAKE for best temperatures. This means the fans will be at the front of case, blowing towards the rear. Fans typically blow towards their labels, or the supports holding the fan in place should be up against the...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Those parts are all fine on their own. No reason they won't work well together.

Two typical layouts:

360mm radiator in the front, front fans are filtered and will keep dust out of the radiator. Best possible temperatures for the CPU. You would want to move the case fans to the top as exhaust. GPU wouldn't have the best chance for airflow, but it would still be fine as you would then have quite a bit of exhaust (4 fans)

360mm radiator top mounted as exhaust. Case fans as they are. This would be better for the GPU, it would get more airflow, but the CPU radiator would be consuming more warm air from the GPU. However, what I like to do is add a filter to the rear fan and flip it so it is intake. This pulls cool air directly to the CPU radiator. This does mean the radiator is the sole exhaust. So if you were putting this under a desk or table, might not be ideal.

mxnty

Prominent
Mar 4, 2021
I see, I'm a bit confused since I know almost nothing about fan placement so if you could explain "exact" location as in where in reference to the case and components.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
So the CPU cooler you have chosen is a water cooled one and has a 360mm radiator with 3 120mm fans. This is quite large and only leaves you the the two options I mentioned. I will try to go into extreme detail.

Assume the front of the case is to the right.

The case comes with 3 120mm fans in the front as intake, blowing front to back. One at the rear as exhaust blowing also front to back (pulling air out at the rear).

Option 1)

Water cooler manufacturers typically recommend installing a water cooling radiator as an INTAKE for best temperatures. This means the fans will be at the front of case, blowing towards the rear. Fans typically blow towards their labels, or the supports holding the fan in place should be up against the direction they blow. Some have the plastic molding showing airflow and rotation direction.

This would mean moving the front fans to the top of the case, facing up (blowing air out the top)

Installing the radiator fans in the front, blowing towards the rear, with the radiator directly behind (to the left)

Rear fan would remain unchanged.

Top three fans ^ blowing up
------- __ __ __
Rear{---------|| {
------|---------|| { Radiator behind fans, Front fans blowing in, Front fan filter
------|---------|| {
-------PSU

Option 2)

Radiator would be placed in the top of the case, with the fans on top. This will draw case air through the radiator and exhaust out the top. My recommendation for better CPU temperatures is to flip the rear fan to face inwards. This will put a fresh stream of air directly under the CPU radiator to be drawn up and out. Front fans would remain as intake, this air stream should help with GPU temperatures.

Front fans would stay in place

CPU cooler fans would be placed in the top of the case with the radiator directly underneath.

Rear fan can be left alone, but I like to flip it around so it blows in from the rear instead of out. Best to add a filter, purchased separately.

Top three fans ^ blowing up
--------__ __ __
------- =====---Radiator
Rear}--------- {
------|--------- { Front fans blowing in, Front fan filter
------|--------- {
-------PSU

Hope this helps. Next step would be actual drawings or pictures.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.