Question Best alternative to powerline devices for high ethernet speeds?

Gamefreaknet

Commendable
Mar 29, 2022
Currently using TPLink Av1300 however upon doing a speedtest from my Full Fibre hub it only did: Download:
30mbps - 90mbps (app showing it should be closer to 200mbps)
Upload:
9mbps - 20mbps

This felt more like a huge downgrade since from previous testing I knew my network would normally average at around:
Download: 800mbps - 950mbps
Upload: 100mbps - 110mbps

Aside from getting another ethernet port installed are there any ethernet repeaters that would allow for Gigabit ethernet without the need for the cable going room to room?

(note: the cable used is a CAT6 cable but I do have CAT7/8 cables available if thatd improve the speeds I get through the adaptor?)

Perhaps it is the network beyond the router or switch (nobody uses HUBs these days). What is your network topology, e.g., "PC->switch->router->outside world" is an example. Do you have a second computer on this to test with? Are all your tests to some outside world test point?

Gamefreaknet

Commendable
Mar 29, 2022
Perhaps it is the network beyond the router or switch (nobody uses HUBs these days). What is your network topology, e.g., "PC->switch->router->outside world" is an example. Do you have a second computer on this to test with? Are all your tests to some outside world test point?
Fibre Box - Hub - Ethernet Wall Port - 8 Port Gigabit Switch - Powerline Plug
Up to the Powerline plug it is all connected by CAT8 cables
I have a laptop and that can receive up to 650mbps (via ethernet) and 800mbps (wireless 5Ghz) no issues.

I see tplink has a new model of powerline units...well I haven't looked in a while.

You will never get 900mbps on any powerline units. Most people get say 130mbps or so but it depends on the wires in the house some people get a bit more and other a bit less.

The "90" mbps number is almost a magic number...if it was say 93 or 94 mbps I would be even more sure.

This tends to be the speed you get when a ethernet port is running at 100mbps rather than gigabit speeds.

I am also somewhat confused as how you have this hooked up.

The more standard configuration is

Intenret router-----lan cable---powerline+++++electric wires+++powerline--lan cable---end device.

Either of those lan cable could be running at 100mbps. Try to find some way to see if they are running at 1000mbs or 100mbps. Maybe the light s will tell you.

Yours appears more complex so you could have other cables in the path.

Note the so called CAT8 cables are highly likely to be fakes. These are only used in high end data centers where you need 40GBIT connections. Real Cat8 cables are very costly and you generally can only get them from high end equipment sellers not some cheap crap you find on amazon.

Bad cables are a extremely common cause of ports running at 100m. Even the best cables can become defective. You need nothing special cat5e can run 1gbit. The words "CAT" though is not what determine the certification of a cable so all kinds of companies lie. Key here is the wire must be pure copper and it must be wire size 22-24. The most common type of fake cable you see is that flat cable that has wires much too small to be a actual certified ethernet cable.

BUT do not expect it to be a huge amounts faster. Powerline technology has not increased in many years, if you were to get 200mbps that would be a very high number.

If you have coax cables in both rooms MoCA technology can give you full gigiabit speeds.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Powerline adapter probably is worst option, just way too much electric noise.

As mentioned above, if you have coax in both rooms, go with MoCA which will give you fixed speed. Wifi can even outperform powerline if house layout is not too complex.

Gamefreaknet

Commendable
Mar 29, 2022
I see tplink has a new model of powerline units...well I haven't looked in a while.

You will never get 900mbps on any powerline units. Most people get say 130mbps or so but it depends on the wires in the house some people get a bit more and other a bit less.

The "90" mbps number is almost a magic number...if it was say 93 or 94 mbps I would be even more sure.

This tends to be the speed you get when a ethernet port is running at 100mbps rather than gigabit speeds.

I am also somewhat confused as how you have this hooked up.

The more standard configuration is

Intenret router-----lan cable---powerline+++++electric wires+++powerline--lan cable---end device.

Either of those lan cable could be running at 100mbps. Try to find some way to see if they are running at 1000mbs or 100mbps. Maybe the light s will tell you.

Yours appears more complex so you could have other cables in the path.

Note the so called CAT8 cables are highly likely to be fakes. These are only used in high end data centers where you need 40GBIT connections. Real Cat8 cables are very costly and you generally can only get them from high end equipment sellers not some cheap crap you find on amazon.

Bad cables are a extremely common cause of ports running at 100m. Even the best cables can become defective. You need nothing special cat5e can run 1gbit. The words "CAT" though is not what determine the certification of a cable so all kinds of companies lie. Key here is the wire must be pure copper and it must be wire size 22-24. The most common type of fake cable you see is that flat cable that has wires much too small to be a actual certified ethernet cable.

BUT do not expect it to be a huge amounts faster. Powerline technology has not increased in many years, if you were to get 200mbps that would be a very high number.

If you have coax cables in both rooms MoCA technology can give you full gigiabit speeds.
What MoCA devices would you recommend?
Also I'm assuming they would use the FM/DAB Coax ports? (I have coax available in both rooms currently)
(Currently considering this: ASUS MoCA Adapter)

Last edited:
I don't know if the type of connector matters you should be able to change them out or use adapters.

Its been a while since I looked up the specs moca uses. Almost everyone has rg6 coax nowdays but the older rg59 i think also works with moca.

I have not seen reviews of difference moca adapters. I suspect like most this type of stuff there are only 1 or 2 manufactures of the chips. they all used to be motorola before the company got chopped up and sold to many other companies.

For a long time gocoax was the cheapest and best moca adapters that could run full gigabit. (ie the ones with 2.5 number)
During covid times they had massive supply issues and other brands started to sell units.
I suspect they all are going to work the same asus does not make the moca chips.

.....................a added concern check any of the splitters. Remove them if you only need the 2 jacks and use a simple barrel conenctors. The splitter used on old style tv blocked the hi frequencies used by moca. You want to look for moca capable splitters, most splitters that can run cable tv can also do moca but check.