Best and least expensive way to record OTA Advice

dpeel

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Good afternoon,

My 90 year old mom has been using a DVR that had a built in digital tuner to record her programs on DVD's . This unit is not working properly and I don't see any units that are made like this for sale anymore. I've been trying to find a simple and inexpensive way for her to record her over the air programs. So far, from what I've found, it looks like a Tablo quad unit with a SATA 2.5" hard drive is the best option. She does have a decent desktop computer and possibly putting a TV tuner card might also be an option. The main thing is that it's not too complicated for my 90 year old mom to use. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

dpeel

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Not really. She had asked me to see how much extra Xfinity would charge to add basic cable and get a DVR box. I called them and her monthly bill would go up around $100 per month to do that. Her programs are all on over the air stations she gets with the outside antenna I installed years ago. If I can figure out something simple enough so she can record her programs to watch at a different time, that would make her happy.

dpeel

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
I appreciate your responses but think that these suggestions wouldn't be simple enough for my 90 year old mother. Earlier today, I bought a Tablo Dual Lite OTA for $46 on Ebay. I have also bought a 1TB external HD and a Fire Stick. I think this will be a simple enough way to give her the ability to record her programs without too much difficulty.

TRENDING THREADS