Best Antivirus Software and Apps (Archive)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avast-Team

Commendable
Mar 3, 2017
Hi everybody! Glad to see some fans and supporters here , we appreciate you very much.

The review that was linked to in an earlier post looks like it's dated 4/12/2016, and the screenshots are definitely from an older version.

We've brought tons of updates to Avast in 2017 -- namely Behavior Shield (intelligent process monitoring) and CyberCapture (stop and analyze zero-days before they can do any damage) all powered by AI and machine learning, plus other improvements across the board. So, truly next-gen protection, much improved over traditional AV or other "basic" solutions (even in our free version)

Ok! Sorry for the elevator pitch there. It's all great stuff though, and thanks for letting me share. If you haven't seen or tried the new version, I'd say give it a go!

Also, don't take my word for it, see the latest AV-comparatives results for Feb (just released): https://www.av-comparatives.org/dynamic-tests/

lao543

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017
I wonder why AVG is not even mentioned, considering it's as good as Sophos according to av-test: https://www.av-test.org/en/news/news-single-view/strong-protection-for-macos-sierra-12-packages-put-to-the-test/

Robert_393

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017
I just switched from Mac to PC and I'm so confused with all these antivirus reviews. It's annoying is that all these free products are trying to bait you into paying. Installed AVG and they keep finding registry issues and offering to clean them up by installing tune up. I installed it, one day free, and they jumped me to a page offering a discount if I buy in the next 10 minutes. That's total BS. I hate that crap and will now uninstall AVG. I'm tempted to just use defender and not download any programs via torrent to minimize my risk. I'll keep all my data in the cloud and if I need to rebuild the pc at some point I can do that without worrying about losing important files.

The best AV software is common sense.

Use your head before you do something (like opening attachments in emails from people you dont know)

How many times do people have to be told before it sinks in. DON'T open anything if you dont know who sent it.

If you dont know, who sent an email, delete it

And well if you're into things like torrents / pirated software then you should install something. Because you'll probably get infected with something

And as above some of them install bloatware / crap. You'll have to use something else if you want to get rid of the rubbish it installed. To see anything

xenonhost

Prominent
Apr 7, 2017
I'm using Endurance Antivirus a $9.99 app since November, helped me get rid of some Windows viruses mostly, cause I have a VmWare instance of Windows 7. I like it because it has lifetime updates, no subscription. I saw it has a free version on their site.

Link_4

Prominent
Apr 9, 2017
Avast adds ads in your mail by default, I disabled that option and some days ago it started to sign my mails again, that's unacceptable.

Owen_16

Commendable
May 10, 2016
Don't use Avast free anti-virus as it comes pre-installed with opencandy which is a malicious ad-ware file that causes issues with your system and installs a back door in your system to allow other applications to install, popups to pop up and extra adverts.

Avast-Team

Commendable
Mar 3, 2017

Both Avast and AVG flag OpenCandy as a PUP. Example from Virus Total:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/91bdf317e50d349cd096b8daa7d5aabf85ef8e2288086073be9a7105070611fb/analysis/1472513272/

EdellReynes

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017
Mine is just a free antivirus that can be downloaded easily over the net. I'm using Avast free anti-virus for windows 7. It says 100% protection against viruses, spyware, ransomware and all malware but still, there's so many limitations as to what it can do to your pc/laptop and the security against spam and viruses are not guaranteed safe unless you subscribe and upgrade your AV app with a monthly subscription. the Free Anti virus doesn't provide complete protection but I am still thankful for it though since It continuously warns me about unsafe web links.

Third Eye01

Prominent
Apr 25, 2017
Hey Friends................for protecting your PC against modern threats I recommend you 360 TOTAL SECURITY by Qihoo. I uses licensed Avira and Bitdefender Engines. These are the two most powerful scanning engines on the market. Further it has its own powerful heuristics and its 360 cloud scan engine which provides excellent zero day protection. I also has an inbuilt ANTI-RANSOMWARE MODULE which provides best in class protection against ransomwares.
It also offers to scan files upon execution and even offers to switch off windows autoplay functionality.
It has its own web-shield which provides satisfactory phishing protection and again best in class download protection via automatic scan and analysis of downloaded files. This can be achieved by installing its own extension in the web browser of your choice. This also provides another security layer which is called online shopping protection.
You also get the choice to use either anyone of the two powerful engines or both of them at the same time separately for real-time protection and manual scans. This method implements use of enhanced malware signatures for generic detection and works almost instantaneously. It also provides Registry protection and webcam protection.
Now it also has many other features such as ransomware decryption tool, 360 connect for remotely helping your friends and relatives, and a 360 sandbox for testing nasty softwares - tools for experts.
This software also protects against PUP,s when enabled in settings and also offers to upload malicious files for cloud analysis.
For the sake of mentioning...........it also offers Registry cleaner, system patch up, system backup cleaner, disk cleaner, automatic speedup integrated with manual startup manager along with an exception list, a powerful disk cleaner, game booster and a disk compression tool. The number of these additional features is likely to increase in future.
The software is backed up by massive manpower and is under constant development with excellent support vis email. You can also reports false positives or can make any other complains and they will listen to you and will respond also if required.
Software has easy to use interface and is also very customizable not only via its settings where you can completely alter the way this wonderful software functions, but also using many beautiful themes which it provides. For quick configuration it also offers three predefined protection modes ( Performance, Balance and Security) along with one custom mode.
It also offers to install its own excellent Opera browser which has an inbuilt VPN ( needs to be enabled) and will protect your online transactions.
I highly recommend this useful piece software to everyone.

anakimana

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
As an IT professional, I'll just steer you away from this article and over to av-comparitives.org. They produce white papers detailing their methods and they compare a lot of products in various ways. For instance, "Real World Protection Test" and "Performance Test" just to name 2 of the 14 categories. They miss some products I'd like to see, like Webroot, but they do compare a big selection and put free and paid versions up against each other too. My favorite AV in real life isn't always the best in their tests, but it's consistently in the top each year. I'm not even going to mention which is my fave because you should really do your own research and trust your own experiences as well. Google "av-comparitives" - they've won awards from governments and other serious institutions and I've been depending on them as a honest and open guide for over 10 years. Last thought, this article by "Tom's Guide Staff" (who, though?) doesn't match up in many ways to real tests. Look at the actual results of Microsoft's AV compared to what they scored it here. Makes me wonder if Tom's is going on feelings rather than data.

Gdibux

Prominent
May 1, 2017
There is no question "depends what you want" ffs antivirus software supost to do what is for, not just take money and be robish! Antivirus suports to protect your pc 100% but there is non to do they job 100%, they all let 50% viruses, spyveres and etc to go trough. They dont give a shit, they only want your money, and they them selfs creating viruses to scear people and push them to buy antiviruses for unbelievable prices. Never ever pay them, as they just scaming you! Get them for free, look on internet there is millions of them hacked and working fine!

abcaust123

Prominent
May 5, 2017
I just wasted 1 days trying to get Avast FREE to work properly: turning on/ off different components trying to identify the source of the problem.
It is SO un-stable, blocks internet use & crashes my Windows 7.
User beware, 5-May-17.

abcaust123

Prominent
May 5, 2017
I just wasted 1 days trying to get Avast Free working: turning on/off different components to identify which is causing problems.
It is SO UN-stable, blocks internet use & crashes Windows 7.
User beware, 5-May-17.

KyloBen187

Prominent
May 5, 2017
PANDA is NOT FREE
I hate wen lists put on apps that are clearly not free on free lists.
NEWS FLASH- Free Trial does not equal FREE

Robert_164

Commendable
Mar 5, 2016
Years ago, three of the best-known antivirus programs (Norton, McAfee, and a third one) had flaws in how they handled the files created by Microsoft email/newsreader programs to store newsgroups posts. Is this still true?

Qobalt

Prominent
May 27, 2017
DO NOT USE AVG!!! They have major errors in their program that prevent you from accessing the user interface and they REFUSE to do anything about it!!! AVOID AVG LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!

dghughes

Prominent
May 27, 2017
I was searching for recommendations for PC malware scanner software for my PC but I was using a Mac but the article only mentioned malware scanners for Mac devices; if you search using a Mac. But when searching using a Windows PC it shows me malware scanner software for a Windows PC. FYi just because people use a Mac it doesn't mean they search for things that are only Mac related it's annoying to see such censored/skewed results I didn't ask for that!

benfem

Prominent
Jun 17, 2017
please i need advice. i have been using my phone for like one year ago with 360 antivirus but suddenly the antivirus shop working and allow virus to penetrate into my phone. i formatted the phone severally, yet the problem persist. i decided to get another phone which i did, after loading the phone with my mail and connect it wt the internet, YET the PROBLEM also occur on my NEW PHONE. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!! what is the way out of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.