Best Antivirus Software and Apps (Archive)

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

viaexcellence

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
I have been using Kaspersky Total Security for more than 3 years now and I can't be any safer. It automatically checks updates for my apps (java,flash etc..) and easy to navigate thru. I also installed Kaspersky Suite in my Android phone too. I highly recommend this app to everybody.

So you successfully uninstalled Norton AV (often a Herculean task in of itself !), which was working great, just to try/compare all those other products during the last 10 years? Or you had not used the other products which ostensibly did not perform as well as Norton AV during those the last 10 years?

(The whole post sounds somewhat like it was written by a Norton marketing team member pretending to be a casual Norton AV-using forum member...) :) You created an account at THG just to tell everyone this?

'computer machines'...a non-native English speaker/ marketing team member from...Europe? :)

"Norton is completing it's 18 years...." Not quite sure of the relevance, as I'd be more concerned with it's actual performance now, but, ok....

rexhavit

Reputable
May 13, 2018
I will stick with Windows Defender, I don't need the Russians spying on me, thank you very much. Do you seriously think Kaspersky knows Windows vulnerabilities better than Microsoft? Suddenly I don't trust your reviews anymore... This article is pure tripe and false. Just what I need, a Russian spybot stealthfully updating itself on my PC...

cat1092

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Why isn't Kaspersky Free on this list? It removed a couple of threats from one of my machines that has both the paid versions of ESET Internet Security & Malwarebytes Premium (formerly MBAM Pro)? Tge PC, a Optiplex 780 DT with a Core 2 Quad Q9650 is well able to hold it's own, but got infected somehow. I believe when a guest used our network, because there was another PC infected in the same time frame, only I didn't boot this one at the time.

Seems like all of the sites conveniently leaves Kaspersky off of their best free lists. I discovered by total luck that they have a free version & included a VPN good for 200MB of data (don't know if it's per week, month or day), removed when no more data would come through. In hindsight, should had disabled it for when needed.

Here it is, doesn't slow down my secondary computer down in the least.

https://usa.kaspersky.com/free-antivirus

The editors at Tom's should give them a shot & determine if it's better than any of the others. has lots of controls under the hood (to include a Advanced Disinfection) & rarely do I get a popup from then wanting to sell anything (maybe once weekly). Far better than daily popups by Avast. Also performs rootkits scans at least once daily, as well as idle & short scans that's not noticed on most modern computers unless one hovers over it's Task manager.

IMO, it's at least an 8.5 out of 10, if not higher, based on the fact that it does a great job for being free software. And as stated above, there's 200MB of a secure VPN for when needed. Just make sure to disable when not, otherwise, one will go through 200MB with Windows Update alone. No reason to fear, Kaspersky has no ties with the Kremlin, if so, then their Internet Security & other paid offerings wouldn't be moving (nor recommended by many of these same editors).

Cat

May 20, 2018
I used to feel that Kaspersky was at the top of there game up until 3 years ago when I ended up with a mystery virus on my galaxy right when our subscription was about to be up . So then I called support and they charged an arm and a leg to clean my phone so I figured well I may as well renew now. So now 3 years later after renewing 3 years ago for 3 years of coverage it is coming up on the renewal and I go to bed after scannimg my devices which all came back clean . I wake up the next morning and turn on my new galaxy cell phone that I specifically only use for phone call and text messages and nothing more nothing less it starts acting all wonky so I call them again they say we need to do a deep scan and remotely connect to my phone and it will cost $179 in change so I say well whatever and I watch everything that they are doing on my phone and it is all the same stuff that I do ritualistically on a daily and nightly basis and 29 mins into it the tech sends a message saying to restart your phone . So I do and he calls me back om my landline because he was cut out from connecting to my phone and it is like well hello you told me to restart the phone and I then ask what all has he found and he says that he hasnt found anything just deleted cache from storage and I said well I do that every day and night so I just payed you 179 dollars to do what I do daily. And I then say after he says that he is going to disconnect from my phone and that I am all set, well what happens when you hang up with me and then it starts acting up again then what? Well you are still covered for this if anything else happens. Well hello you didnt do anything on my phone . Didnt do anything but remotely send something over to my phone when it was initially turned on to where I could not control anything on the phone in regards to touching the screen. I will be filing a dispute with the bank in regards to the charge and will be contacting an attorney for cyber fraud! Stay away from this antivirus software!!!!!! If you like keeping your money in your bank account for when it is truly needed??????????????

May 22, 2018
What about this whole Kaspersy Rusher deal? Is that a witch hunt or a real deal? I hear the government wants no Kaspersky anywhere near their machines.

The company is screwed in the USA just for being Russian....regardless of any perceived (or compete lack thereof) ties to Russian govt.....

Best to stick to American products, so that only he US Govt has all your info! :)

May 29, 2018
Bitdefender is garbage. I installed it and it made a mess of my Windows 10. I constantly had to reopen my programs because they would get stuck. There is no product support no matter what they say. You send them a problem and a couple of days later they send you an email. Their advice never works and altogether, I would not wish this product on my worse enemy. Avoid this product.

Jul 4, 2018
I'm satisfied paying Avast user for more than 5 years. I found "earn reward" option appeared in main menu. I sent a link to one friend and got PRO version for 6 months free. It seems like they're testing it, I found some info only here https://www.avast.com/free-license

Jul 25, 2018
Still can't figure out why there's not an emphasis on Kaspersky as a player in Russian espionage. Want the Russians meddling with your PC as they are with America's elections and power grids? Don't say you weren't warned. There's good reason why the U.S. Government, especially the Pentagon, have deleted Kaspersky from its machines.

May 9, 2018
Antivirus giant, Avast, has used its considerable skills to create an app which goes above and beyond a mundane scanner. Extra features in the free version include a call blocker, firewall and even an anti-theft measure allowing you to remotely lock or wipe your Android device if it goes missing.

jimmil43

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
Why does Kaspersky Get such great reviews? I used them Got a virus and spent three weeks playing email tag with them. I sent them every bit of information that I could. They would never answer my emails until Wednesday and then by the time I could do something it was Friday. I would Send the info and they would reply on Wednesday with more instructions. After the third week of sending info I received an email stating that my problem was resolved. I ended up chucking the hard drive and motherboard and rebuilding the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.