[SOLVED] Best b550

KylerZ

Commendable
Apr 26, 2021
Hi, I'm building a new pc
Ryzen 5600x
Rtx 3060Ti
I was planning to get b550 tomahawk or tuf gaming plus but both are out of stock and just gigabyte motherboards are available
I want it to be able to overclock ryzen 9 5950x so I won't have to buy another MB in the next upgrade
What is the best gigabyte motherboard in range 150:180$

Solution
What about Gigabyte b550 aorus elite v2
that's fine too...it's just a new version of the original Aorus Elite previously mentioned.

One of the key features of Zen arch. is it's boosting algorithm (Precision Boost). It's extremely good at hitting very high clock speeds in the light processing workloads that are typical in gaming. Ryzen 5000 CPU's currently have the most refined algorithm (Precision Boost 2). Fixed all-core overclocks wind up locking a frequency for all cores that's probably going to be less than the maximum clocks the algorithm itself can achieve and yet requires a very high voltage. It's difficult to impossible to cool the processor with that high of a voltage so it winds up overheating and/or simply being...
Hi, I'm building a new pc
Ryzen 5600x
Rtx 3060Ti
I was planning to get b550 tomahawk or tuf gaming plus but both are out of stock and just gigabyte motherboards are available
I want it to be able to overclock ryzen 9 5950x so I won't have to buy another MB in the next upgrade
What is the best gigabyte motherboard in range 150:180$

B550 Aorus Pro or Elite or Master, whichever you can get that falls in your price bracket.

Ryzen 5000 doesn't overclock well, especially for gaming.

What about Gigabyte b550 aorus elite v2
that's fine too...it's just a new version of the original Aorus Elite previously mentioned.

One of the key features of Zen arch. is it's boosting algorithm (Precision Boost). It's extremely good at hitting very high clock speeds in the light processing workloads that are typical in gaming. Ryzen 5000 CPU's currently have the most refined algorithm (Precision Boost 2). Fixed all-core overclocks wind up locking a frequency for all cores that's probably going to be less than the maximum clocks the algorithm itself can achieve and yet requires a very high voltage. It's difficult to impossible to cool the processor with that high of a voltage so it winds up overheating and/or simply being unstable.

In contrast, it's possible to alter some of the parameters that limit the boost algorithm...that's called PBO. It convinces the algorithm it can stay at a high boosted clock longer, or even hit higher than normal clocks. The algorithm is temperature-seeking in that it also limits it's boosting for a given set of parameters based on temperature so give it better cooling along with PBO and it hits higher clocks up to that temp limit.

Another thing added with PB2 is curve optimizer: it allows you to play with the V/F curve for each core individually. That lets you lower the voltage at the high frequency end of the curve where there's usually a lot of margin to assure stability for boosts. Lower voltage results in lowered temperature so the processor hits even higher clocks...improved performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: KylerZ
Solution