[SOLVED] Best bang for buck nvidia gpu?

Tad2

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
on the USED market specifically?
I was thinking something in the gtx 1070-1080 range?

I have a 1080ti but i'm thinking I might sell it and go for something cheaper.

Solution
a 1080Ti is still quite capable....way more than enough 2.5 years ago, is still enough for most 1080P games today, and many still at 1440P medium settings...

Selling the 1080Ti to buy a newer medium range modern card not even as fast as what you have is no winning strategy, unless you must have some cash value from the 1080Ti and still be able to play at 1080P afterward, just not as fast.....
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2oTHvCTjgQ

Even the 2070 Super is tad slower than the 1080Ti
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuhLADcx2s8

If your goal is to find someone willing to pay $800 for a 1080Ti used, one could buy a...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
There are different good purchases at different price points/needs. There's no such thing as one exact "bang for the buck" GPU because the amount of bang people need varies massively. And even if there were such a thing -- there isn't -- it wouldn't be applicable to the used market because pricing and availability are going to be all over the place.

Tad2

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
used market is all over the place, but there is a general trend.
I generally look at lowest priced used cards that aren't scams.
I have no interest in brand or cooler design. (blowers/reference cards are a different card entirely imho).

AAA pc games with graphics set to maximum at 1440p and 60fps is my target.

Which is why i'm selling the ti. I can't hit that target often. which is a huge let down.
So if i'm going to lower my settings or resolution, why not just get a cheaper card?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, something else is going on then. There are lots of possible things, from CPU throttling to other settings issues. A 1080 Ti should have no problems at 1440p/60Hz. And if you have a separate problem causing this, it'll likely cause the other GPUs to underperform as well.

I think it's time for full specs (I mean, it always should be the first thing in a thread, but it's especially useful at this point).

Tad2

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
i'll check the cpu utiliztion. It is an alienware r3 15. Has a gtx1060 in it also, but i'm running the 1080ti via m.2 external adapter.
I know what you're thinking, and NO the m.2 adapter is NOT a bottleneck. It runs all my other games are great fps. Like 60-120fps depending on the title..

It's just unreal engine games that run badly.
Unfortunately i play a lot of unreal games.

The cpu is an i7 6700hq. and i have 16gb ram, and nvme ssd.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Seem, some good info here when we ask for more! Definitely check the CPU utilization. The 6700HQ is likely to be a bottleneck in certain situations and you've mentioned it's Unreal games; that engine tends to be CPU-heavy. The single core performance is going to be overwhelming as it's down in the realm of lower-end Haswell/Ivy Bridge desktop CPUs. Those CPUs are also really starting to show their age.

Now, it shouldn't be a severe bottleneck, but the fact remains that your m.2 adapter does not have access to the same number of lanes as your desktop GPU would.

Tad2

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
So my cpu is not quite bottlenecking. but it is pretty high usage.
around 82% maximum useage on all cores. though it seems to hover lower than that, like 50-70% often.
never goes into the 90%'s.

It does get quite hot on a few cores, 91C deg. but zero thermal throttling.

GPU gets maximum 81C deg, and 98% max load.

I just noticed i have no vsync either... so even more weakness.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
So my cpu is not quite bottlenecking. but it is pretty high usage.
around 82% maximum useage on all cores. though it seems to hover lower than that, like 50-70% often.
never goes into the 90%'s.

It does get quite hot on a few cores, 91C deg. but zero thermal throttling.

GPU gets maximum 81C deg, and 98% max load.

Is maxing out individual cores? Check this on a game that runs fine against a game, hopefully with similar high requirements overall, that's not.

a 1080Ti is still quite capable....way more than enough 2.5 years ago, is still enough for most 1080P games today, and many still at 1440P medium settings...

Selling the 1080Ti to buy a newer medium range modern card not even as fast as what you have is no winning strategy, unless you must have some cash value from the 1080Ti and still be able to play at 1080P afterward, just not as fast.....
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2oTHvCTjgQ

Even the 2070 Super is tad slower than the 1080Ti
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuhLADcx2s8

If your goal is to find someone willing to pay $800 for a 1080Ti used, one could buy a $400 card (2060 Super?) and pocket the difference at a measurable performance hit, that might be doable....(but, you can't buy anything as fast without spending as much)

Solution

Tad2

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
yeah i'm not gonna find anyone to pay 800. best off ive had is 450.
and my goal is to save money, and get worse performance.
the reason is that i'm having to lower my resolution or my settings anyways.
so whats the point of having a flagship card if i'm running capped settings anyways?