Question Best Bang for the Buck

Jan 15, 2020
I am looking to upgrade my core i5 4690k system as I am running into I/O issues with the old USB bus system and the mobo I have presently only has a single pci-x4 slot and I'll need another to get four additional dedicated USB channels with a card for cameras or a mobo which can accommodate 4 dedicated USB channels itself. I am not a gamer but do video editing and a lot of design work and streaming so multithreading is important. I am looking to go back to AMD now that they are on top again and the Ryzen 7 3700X looks the most appealing. I have a EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SC Ultra and Samsung Evo 860s so I am solid on that front. What would be a good stable mobo with some overclocking abilities, no need for wifi, and a solid 32GBs of RAM to go with it? I do enjoy overclocking a small amount while maintaining stability. My case is 15 years old so updating that would be a good thing as well but a lower priority. What would be the best bang for the buck with this kind of build? Thank you!

I’m running a 3700X on a MSI B450 Tomahawk Max and 2x16gb RAM. The cpu is running 4.3-4.4 on all cores using PBO s and the RAM is running at 3600mhz CL16 although rated as 3200mhz CL16. I am very happy with this cheap yet strong performing motherboard. I chose this motherboard after seeing the good reviews, one that sticks to mind was when they tested a 3950X and at stock this motherboard performed as well as any X570 at stock.

Case is up to you. I find it very satisfying to see my new pc in a new case.

Reactions: Solokron
Jan 15, 2020
I’m running a 3700X on a MSI B450 Tomahawk Max and 2x16gb RAM. The cpu is running 4.3-4.4 on all cores using PBO s and the RAM is running at 3600mhz CL16 although rated as 3200mhz CL16. I am very happy with this cheap yet strong performing motherboard. I chose this motherboard after seeing the good reviews, one that sticks to mind was when they tested a 3950X and at stock this motherboard performed as well as any X570 at stock.

Case is up to you. I find it very satisfying to see my new pc in a new case.

That mobo does do well in reviews and is well priced with a good feature set. What RAM did you go with which has that kind of performance? Are you using the stock heatsink/fan?

Don't know money have to spend, but if you are doing video editing, streaming, and design work, I would look at an AMD Threadripper CPU. Huge number of PCIe lanes, can handle 64 to 128GB RAM (important in both video and design) depending upon build. Just a thought.
Case: Sounds like your case is even older then mine. That said it probably doesn't have any of the newer USB ports (USB 3.0 etc. etc.), so it would be a good idea to invest in a new case with ANY new build as nearly all the newer cases (even inexpensive ones) have some 3.0 ports up front.

Reactions: Solokron
That mobo does do well in reviews and is well priced with a good feature set. What RAM did you go with which has that kind of performance? Are you using the stock heatsink/fan?
This is the RAM I am using https://www.scan.co.uk/products/32g...600-3200-non-ecc-unbuff-cas-16-135v-amd-ryzen

I did run the stock fan and it worked perfectly well but was noisy. I found a great deal on a H150i Pro RGB which is overkill for a 3700x but it was cheaper than Corsair 240/280 AIO’s. This cooler is dead silent. Even with the pump set to silent and the fans set to balanced it keeps the cpu load at mid 60’s under stress tests. As for performance my usage is different but I’m very happy with this setup.