[SOLVED] Best BIOS settings on Z270 GAMING M3 motherboard ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Solution
If there are any steps listed here that you have not already done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility.

First,

Make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post a new BIOS release. In cases where you DO already have the latest BIOS version, simply resetting the BIOS as follows has a fairly high percentage chance of effecting a positive...

pumacs16

Honorable
Oct 31, 2017
That STILL isn't the "memory" tab. You are posting screenshots of the "SPD" tab, NOT the memory tab. LOOK, at the tab you are on. It specifically SAYS "SPD". NOT "memory".
DOR6k7n.png

So, that shows you are running at 2924mhz, which is 1462 x2, and is actually most likely 2933mhz which is the closest standard memory speed but both your sticks are 3000mhz and since this board supports higher speeds than that it is most likely because you have sticks that are not wanting to play nice together at the rated speed and the board is having to drop it down in order to get them to be compatible.

Reactions: pumacs16

pumacs16

Honorable
Oct 31, 2017
So, that shows you are running at 2924mhz, which is 1462 x2, and is actually most likely 2933mhz which is the closest standard memory speed but both your sticks are 3000mhz and since this board supports higher speeds than that it is most likely because you have sticks that are not wanting to play nice together at the rated speed and the board is having to drop it down in order to get them to be compatible.
Okay, what a recommendation POWER PSU that is of very good quality and relatively cheap in Hungary?

Not going to happen. Not even the ABSOLUTE LEAST expensive model listed for Hungary on PC Partpicker is under that price. If you have some online retailers that are useful to you that you can order from I'd be glad to take a look at what they have on there to see if there is anything under that price even worth looking at but seeing the prices listed on PC Partpicker for Hungary I very much doubt it. Even the cheapest one I see, which is not one I'd recommend, is like 21,000 Forint.

pumacs16

Honorable
Oct 31, 2017
Not going to happen. Not even the ABSOLUTE LEAST expensive model listed for Hungary on PC Partpicker is under that price. If you have some online retailers that are useful to you that you can order from I'd be glad to take a look at what they have on there to see if there is anything under that price even worth looking at but seeing the prices listed on PC Partpicker for Hungary I very much doubt it. Even the cheapest one I see, which is not one I'd recommend, is like 21,000 Forint.
Okey, I'll wait as long as possible 30.000 Forint.
Here we look.

This would be the best option at the lowest price I see on that site.

However, if you REALLY had to go cheaper, there is also a Corsair CXm 550w on there for around 19500 Forint. The Seasonic is a WAY, WAY better unit though.

pumacs16

Honorable
Oct 31, 2017
This would be the best option at the lowest price I see on that site.

However, if you REALLY had to go cheaper, there is also a Corsair CXm 550w on there for around 19500 Forint. The Seasonic is a WAY, WAY better unit though.
Okey I ordered the one you wrote first: Seasonic Core GC 550W (SSR-550LC)
I will probably have it tomorrow and install it, then I will write about the situation, Thank you very much for your help so far.

What do you mean nothing changed? You went from discard level voltage of 11.7v minimum under load to a completely acceptable 12.096v under load, which was the whole point of changing the PSU. The point was not to improve performance, it was to protect your hardware from damage and to eliminate the potential for the system to begin shutting down due to being out of spec.

y12NhPf.png

pumacs16

Honorable
Oct 31, 2017
What do you mean nothing changed? You went from discard level voltage of 11.7v minimum under load to a completely acceptable 12.096v under load, which was the whole point of changing the PSU. The point was not to improve performance, it was to protect your hardware from damage and to eliminate the potential for the system to begin shutting down due to being out of spec.

y12NhPf.png
You said that this is the reason for the error that I wrote you earlier that the game is not so smooth, and you wrote this to replace the power supply, what should I do now?

Show me where I said that. Because I NEVER said anything like that. I said your memory configuration was likely at least partially to blame for that, and then I went on to say that you ALSO have a problem with your power supply. I never said anything about your power supply being the reason or having anything to do with your game not being "smooth".

Well, for one thing it doesn't look like your memory is running at the correct speed. Let's verify that because you only posted screenshots of the SPD tab in CPU-Z previously. Take a screenshot of the memory tab in CPU-Z and post that here.

Also, your power supply, which I mentioned before as being very low quality, needs to be replaced. If you look at the +12v system voltage in your "gaming" screenshots, you'll see the voltage has dropped to 11.7v in the "min" column. That is discard result. 11.7v or less means the unit is not capable of sustaining correct 12v voltage and should be replaced.

In fact, never once did I ever say ANYTHING "was the reason". I said you have obvious problems that need to be corrected. A memory problem. A power supply problem. The only way to know if ANY problem is THE problem you are having is to correct that problem and see if your issues go away. There are never any guarantees when working on computer systems EXCEPT the guarantee that if your power supply isn't working properly you WILL have some kind of problem or another.

You had a power supply that was below the level where we normally throw them away. Now you don't have one like that. That problem is resolved. The fact that it didn't fix your primary complaint has NOTHING AT ALL to do with the fact that it needed to be done.

pumacs16

Honorable
Oct 31, 2017
Show me where I said that. Because I NEVER said anything like that. I said your memory configuration was likely at least partially to blame for that, and then I went on to say that you ALSO have a problem with your power supply. I never said anything about your power supply being the reason or having anything to do with your game not being "smooth".

In fact, never once did I ever say ANYTHING "was the reason". I said you have obvious problems that need to be corrected. A memory problem. A power supply problem. The only way to know if ANY problem is THE problem you are having is to correct that problem and see if your issues go away. There are never any guarantees when working on computer systems EXCEPT the guarantee that if your power supply isn't working properly you WILL have some kind of problem or another.

You had a power supply that was below the level where we normally throw them away. Now you don't have one like that. That problem is resolved. The fact that it didn't fix your primary complaint has NOTHING AT ALL to do with the fact that it needed to be done.

Okay, in the near future I would like to add a new motherboard and a processor for a maximum of 120,000 HUF. What are you offering?

And what do you think could be the reason, do you have any tips?
I noticed that when I had the monitor a long time ago and now when I turned it on for the first time, the game was smooth for a while. and if I reduce it to 60 fps, for example, there is still stuttering.

pumacs16

Honorable
Oct 31, 2017
So you're wanting to upgrade the platform then, but keep the memory that is not even a matched set and might very well be part of the problem?

Well, I'll have to take a look after while and see what is available to you. Where can you order from again?

The set is the same memory, so I bought it from the same memory since then...
ub0v72T.png

N72HJpb.png

What exactly?
->

Ah, ok. So you bought a different memory kit since the beginning? I guess I must have forgot or missed that part. It's been a long thread. LOL.

pumacs16

Honorable
Oct 31, 2017
Ah, ok. So you bought a different memory kit since the beginning? I guess I must have forgot or missed that part. It's been a long thread. LOL.

Thank you, I buying so next question:

what kind of video card should I go for, which has a good performance for the price/value ratio and max 150,000 HUF

proc: Ryzen 5 5600g
Ram 2x8gb
motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS
PSU: Seasonic Core GC 550W (SSR-550LC)
My videocard now: GTX 1050ti 4GB OC
thank for helo!!!

pumacs16

Honorable
Oct 31, 2017
And I'd still want to have some clarity on the RAM situation that was never provided. Are you still having RAM issues? Were the RAM sticks sold together in the same box? I don't mean buying a second stick of the same branded memory because that's not the same thing.

I bought two rams of the same type as you can see above, the ram is absolutely good :)