News Best Black Friday AMD Ryzen 9 5900X Deals 2021

Apr 1, 2020
With the 3D cache refresh of Zen 3 due out in short order, as well as the effects of Adder Lake's availability, and with Zen 3 based Threadripper CPUs inbound next year as well, it's probably the worst time to buy any AMD CPU at anything near the current sales prices.

$399 for a 5900X would be a different story...

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
With the 3D cache refresh of Zen 3 due out in short order, as well as the effects of Adder Lake's availability, and with Zen 3 based Threadripper CPUs inbound next year as well, it's probably the worst time to buy any AMD CPU at anything near the current sales prices.

$399 for a 5900X would be a different story...
I got a 5600x at 240 euro (VAT included) as a BF deal a few days ago, and after I sell my 3600 the upgrade will cost me about 80 euros / $100.

I think that's the best deal this entire year for CPUs.

When Zen3D comes, yes Zen3 should get or already be cheaper, but I don't suspect much more cheaper than 5600x at 240 euro/$. Not to mention that by then my old 3600 will also drop in price in used market, so I won't be getting the same resale value as I do now.

Unless you want the best of the best and don't care about money (Zen3d or top Alder Lake), then buying Zen3 now at discount and not waiting 3 more months is absolutely the way to go.

Reactions: Makaveli

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Those "deals" are above MSRP.
MSRP of 5900x is $550. $484 from Amazon is well below that, but because of Alder Lake, it still isn't a good deal unless you're just looking to upgrade your CPU. I don't really see why we need all these "deals" threads for individual products. Just makes it a nightmare to navigate and find things. Because of all the shortages, we're not really going to see any truly worthwhile deals on anything electronic anyway.

Apr 1, 2020
I got a 5600x at 240 euro (VAT included) as a BF deal a few days ago, and after I sell my 3600 the upgrade will cost me about 80 euros / $100.

I think that's the best deal this entire year for CPUs.

When Zen3D comes, yes Zen3 should get or already be cheaper, but I don't suspect much more cheaper than 5600x at 240 euro/$. Not to mention that by then my old 3600 will also drop in price in used market, so I won't be getting the same resale value as I do now.

Unless you want the best of the best and don't care about money (Zen3d or top Alder Lake), then buying Zen3 now at discount and not waiting 3 more months is absolutely the way to go.

20-25% faster for $100 isn't a bad deal for sure. Also I disagree with waiting because as the Zen 3 Refresh will be the last for Socket AM4, with Zen 4 CPUs potentially being on shelves this time next year, and given its capabilities, especially on an X570/S chipset board, for people who will be buying it to go for several years it's definitely worth waiting for as long as possible.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
20-25% faster for $100 isn't a bad deal for sure. Also I disagree with waiting because as the Zen 3 Refresh will be the last for Socket AM4, with Zen 4 CPUs potentially being on shelves this time next year, and given its capabilities, especially on an X570/S chipset board, for people who will be buying it to go for several years it's definitely worth waiting for as long as possible.
That why I said "Unless you want the best of the best and don't care about money (Zen3d or top Alder Lake)". - about waiting.

Translation: it means, if you care only about performance than, sure you wait for Zen3D, but you will also pay the most for that brand new top performance.

Buy if you are a best price / perf ratio (or close to it) kind of guy, like I am, buying Zen3 now (at discount) makes much more sense and then upgrading later to Zen3D (when Zen4 comes). Buying the last gen when the new gen comes it's the most sensible thing to do, while still keeping up with the tech and not being left too much behind.

Apr 1, 2020
What I'm saying is that it's better to skip Zen 3 and wait for Zen 3 Refresh to get to an attractive price, especially if Intel keeps aggressively pricing Adder Lake, and who would have ever thought that would happen, especially given that the GPU is the biggest bottleneck there is currently with even the relatively ancient 7700K not really holding back a RTX 3080 at higher resolutions and/or detail levels.

Last edited:

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
What I'm saying is that it's better to skip Zen 3 and wait for Zen 3 Refresh to get to an attractive price, especially if Intel keeps aggressively pricing Adder Lake, and who would have ever thought that would happen, especially given that the GPU is the biggest bottleneck there is currently with even the relatively ancient 7700K not really holding back a RTX 3080 at higher resolutions and/or detail levels.
Well, considering the discounts that we have right now on Zen3, I'm curious if by the time Zen3D comes, Zen3 will drop even lower.
I doubt it will drop even lower, thought... I think this current drop is pretty much it, just that it will be permanent and across all SKUs by that time.

Alder Lake is not selling as good as intel wanted and Zen3 is still selling good, even better with the discounts, so further more discounts are a slim chance... but we'll see.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Just looked through Newegg, their 'deals' are the usual. Showing the discount from an original price but still the same price it was a few days ago.

i5-11600k was a little discounted at $230, down from $240.

A lot of weird SSDs available, but they aren't cheaper than some name brand models, so not really sure what the catch there is.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
To wait or not, that depends on whether one needs a system now. In my opinion, Intel may have won from a performance standpoint, but if you look at the major e-tailers, I really don't think Alder Lake is selling like hot cakes, as compared to Zen 3 at launch. There are simply too many hurdles to adopt ADL, e.g. lack of and expensive DDR5, lack of good DDR4 motherboard (I was looking for ITX board), lack of compatible coolers, buggy Windows 11/ software, high overall adoption cost, etc. The price of the chip is low I agree, but if you consider the overall cost, it is actually not that cheap. Intel should have also released more affordable chipset, instead of limiting to Z690 since not everyone will be overclocking their processor. My take is people are excited with the new chip, but on the fence now, waiting to see if some the issues will iron out over time. I can't speak for everyone, but these were the issues that I face when I tried looking to upgrade to an ITX ADL system. So I will be waiting.

On the other hand, AMD Ryzen 5000 series may be a year old, but it is not terrible by today's standard, and the cost of upgrade can actually go quite low, for example, by opting for an A520 board, or even a low end B550 board is still affordable and don't negatively affect performance of the chip. If Zen 3 refresh is still on AM4, I think AMD may continue their CPU sale streak if the price is right.

Reactions: VforV

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Well, considering the discounts that we have right now on Zen3, I'm curious if by the time Zen3D comes, Zen3 will drop even lower.
I doubt it will drop even lower, thought... I think this current drop is pretty much it, just that it will be permanent and across all SKUs by that time.

Alder Lake is not selling as good as intel wanted and Zen3 is still selling good, even better with the discounts, so further more discounts are a slim chance... but we'll see.
I feel there is still room for Zen 3 price drop, but that depends on whether AMD decides to do that, considering that the cost of fab is increasing. At the current price range, the CPU itself is not that attractive as compared to ADL. I suspect AMD is resisting massive price drop until sale of ADL starts picking up, so as to maximise their profit while they can still do so.

Reactions: VforV