best brand in gtx 960?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inshaf Ahmed

Reputable
Nov 15, 2015
hello guys,
I'm going to buy a gtx 960 but I don't know about gpus because this is the first graphics card I'm going to buy
Can anyone help me to choose the best brand? My choices are,
Asus 2GB strix
Gigabyte G1 gaming 4GB
MSI tiger oc 4GB
MSI 4GB twin frozr

Which is the best brand to buy?
(I'm interested with ASUS)

SPgamer007

Honorable

Gigabyte G1.If it fits in your case.

Inshaf Ahmed

Reputable
Nov 15, 2015

"Intel core i3 2120 3.3ghz
4GB ddr 3 ram
Intel dh61ww motherboard"

will my pc suit for G1?(I'm planning to buy a 400W psu also)

1280x1024 resolution
60Ghz
1 Display
willing to play all games for next 5 years (in medium-high settings)

G1 gaming should do fine for that. I'd recommend you try very hard to obtain a 450w or higher Tier 1 or Tier 2 power supply as outlined at the following link and make very certain that it has the right PCIe power connectors for the graphics card as many of the GTX 960 cards have differing reqirements. Some use a single 6 pin, some use an 8 pin, some use two six pins. Just make sure you get one with the right configuration and keep in mind that any power supply with a 6+2 pin will work for a single 6 pin socket or a single 8 pin socket.

The G1 gaming requires a six pin AND an eight pin, so you may want to go with a 500w unit for that card as it's doubtful you'll find any high quality 450w units with both. With a high end card like that it's very important that you stick to tier one or two units. Tier 3 or lower units, while less expensive, are not going to be suitable for use with your card and are likely to either cause damage, not last long or both.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

G1 gaming 4GB GTX 960

Powered by NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 GPU
Integrated with industry's best 4GB GDDR5 memory 128-bit memory interface
BASE: 1241 MHz / BOOST: 1304 MHz (1266 / 1329 MHz in OC Mode)
Features Dual-link DVI-I / Dual-link DVI-D / HDMI / DisplayPort*3
System power supply requirement: 400w or higher (with one 6-pin & one 8-pin external power connectors)

IF none of the Tier 1 or 2 units are available in your area, you might look for an Antec EA-450, which has two 6+2 pin connectors. While that is technically a Tier 3 unit, one of our resident PSU experts, k0888 has indicated that it's a highly reliable platform and is probably the best budget 450w option on the market without spending a lot more money.

Inshaf Ahmed

Reputable
Nov 15, 2015

Will FSP HEXA+ 400W 80 PLUS compatible with G1?

That doesn't mean it's good. It's a low quality unit, and would be a waste of your money, especially if it ruins your expensive graphics card. The power supply is the most important component in the whole computer, you don't skimp on that, especially when you're using a high end gaming card.

Actually the 2GB ASUS would be fine. On most games the additional 2GB on the 4GB models are mostly useless anyhow. If it's quite a bit less expensive, then go for it. IF the prices are similar, go for one of the 4GB models as it may be beneficial on DX12 titles down the road.

Jesus_In_Adidas

Reputable
Sep 9, 2015
i didn't read the comments - anyway - i've had bought the 960 GTX windforce rev 1.1 - had it for a whole weekend - the card just didn't gave me enough boost coming from gtx560 !!! there was a tramendous increase in not demanding games, which didn't have any affect really - and some of the demanding games would still occasionally stutter, although the card wouldn't even be using 3 gbs out of 4gbs of memory - meaning the limitations on the card are just too big, bus width only 128 bits. there's no fn' difference with the brand - go with the collour - price - warranty - what matters u most. the fans usually don't spin, overclocking is terrible - my card wouldn't even apply OC changes and was automatically oc'ing itself - whatever.

I should've gone with a zotac cheaper AMP version, 5 year warranty and a very high clock out of the box - and leave it be - no manual OC'ing coz it's not even worth it. Returned it right after the weekend. Would go with a gtx 970, but waiting for new cards to show up and adjust prices - maybe it will be worth to wait for a specific card afterwards.

If you're on a budget, get the highest clock gtx 950 and i think there wouldn't be much of a difference compared to the 960.

This is my opinion based on my experience. Maybe i'm wrong.

If you can't be bothered to read the comments in a thread, don't bother posting in it either. It's rude to the OP and the other members as it's the same as saying "whatever you said already doesn't matter because none of you know anything anyhow".

Don't consider this a smack down, consider it a shot across the bow, so you'll be aware in the future. If you want to post in a thread topic, read what's come before so you can make contributions based on what's already been inferred so as not to waste anybody's time or effort.

I don't think you can go wrong with ASUS, Gigabyte or MSI. Palit and Zotac I'm not as sure about. I'd probably recommend, if budget is a concern, that you go with whichever unit from those top three is the least expensive. A 2GB model for a GTX 960 is fine because as mentioned it doesn't take advantage of the 4GB anyhow, but it doesn't hurt to have the extra 2GB either and DX12 MAY utilize it on titles down the road.

Personally, considering your CPU and other hardware, I think the 2GB ASUS is the best option unless you can get a 4GB card for at or near the same price.

Inshaf Ahmed

Reputable
Nov 15, 2015

May I choose Gigabyte G1?
Asus 2gb's price is equal to the price of gigabyte g1 gaming 4gb

Status
Not open for further replies.