Question Best budget b550/b450 mobo with or without wifi (wifi preffered) and bios flashback under 180 bucks.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Thanks but is my choice good
At least with what PcPartpicker shows for pricing and availability in the UAE (this is why it's important to state what country you're shopping in, and why it was the first question I asked) within your 700 aed budget, your choices are relatively few. I'd say that B550M Pro-VDH is a fine choice that fits your budget and has onboard WiFi.

I do like the Asus TUF B550 Plus WiFi that Why-Me linked, and is under 700 aed. But as you stated, there are slightly cheaper options.

If you're using other sites that PCPP doesn't, that may open up more choices.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021
I'm not using pcpp. Give me some nice choices that have a balance between budget, stability, and performance. Plus, can generic fans cause a short circuit to the motherboard and burn it? Appreciate all answers. I'll be asleep now, since it's 12 am in my country. When I wake up and finish online school I will answer guys. Bye and thanks again! Good night.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
My preference would be the Asus Tuff if given options. It has some of the best VRM setups available in that class of motherboard. That's an important determination for upgrades.

The Asus Tuff can handle a 5900x without issue, the MSI Pro VDH can too, but it's not recommended.

By the time you do (if you do) decide to upgrade, the 5900x is as big and bad as it gets for this platform.

But consider where you are coming from. You are looking to spend the least amount possible, that means the lowest grade motherboard, minimal ram, lower grade psu, cheap case, generic fans etc, you won't be spending out for a 5900x.

So the MSI will be functional, but as far as the cheap class boards go, it's barely a step above the ASRock boards, which are pretty bad.

Imho it's better to spend a little more now, than run into issues later.

A fan is a fan. Doesn't matter if it's generic or not, they all work the same way. The difference between generic and good is how well they work, not if they'll work.

Jan 30, 2021
I don't know what to get. msi has a good line-up too and I'm trying to get the best thing on the cheapest price so I can stary under budget. IDK what do you think I should pick? And yea you're right I should spend a bit more. Best mobo(s) under 750?

May 5, 2021
Plus, can generic fans cause a short circuit to the motherboard and burn it?
Fans are fans, and they should work similarly. The only problem with generic brands may be the quality. I'd recommend name-brand fans, like cooler-master, but if that's too expensive, brands like uphere, be quiet, thermaltake, phanteks (I think) are cheaper. If you're not sure about the fans, watch a video, look at product reviews, or just google the brand and see if they're good.

May 5, 2021
I don't know what to get. msi has a good line-up too and I'm trying to get the best thing on the cheapest price so I can stary under budget. IDK what do you think I should pick? And yea you're right I should spend a bit more. Best mobo(s) under 750?
if you want a bit more than the b550m pro-vdh wifi, this https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Yt...c-atx-am4-motherboard-b550-phantom-gaming-4ac looks good. It'll be one more component to install, but you can buy a wifi-less mobo then add wifi via a pcie, m.2, or usb slot.

Edit: Can we have a build update in the future?

The Asus TUF B550M WiFi was recommended by 3 people and is under your original 700 aed budget (which you then wanted to underspend on). Why do you feel the need to expand past that point?

Jan 30, 2021
Worth it? I don't want to over spend since am5 is coming and I'll wait a year or two after the release of it and upgrade so I'll get anything that works and can do a bit of tweaking that's it

May 5, 2021
Worth it? I don't want to over spend since am5 is coming and I'll wait a year or two after the release of it and upgrade so I'll get anything that works and can do a bit of tweaking that's it
So basically you want to build a system now, then upgrade a few years later. If you haven't already, you should watch that video from Hardware Unboxed. If you care about vrm temperatures, I guess just use whatever they recommend. Also the Asus board that zodz77 recommended, its vrms ran 20c cooler than the b550m pro-vdh wifi, and 4c cooler than the b550-a pro. In my opinion, the b550-a pro is a good choice, as it's $30US (110 AED) cheaper, but only 4c hotter than the Asus board. It's also quite a jump in terms of features from the pro-vdh wifi, while only being $30-40US (110-147 AED) more

Last edited:
May 5, 2021

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Depends. Can be either or both or neither.

If you plan on keeping the psu for the intended upgrade in a few years, then the Seasonic is slightly better than the straight power, and by then you might actually have a need for a 750w/850w psu.

But that's the kicker, need. I'm running my entire full custom loop, 3700x OC with a 2070Super OC all from a tiny SFX 600w. If your intended power draw on the upgrade is going to be higher than mine, a 750w might be doable. But if not, it's a waste of money, you'd be more than fine with a 450w, a 650w already being overkill.

Bigger absolutely does not mean better, I'd throw my Corsair SFX-600 Platinum up against almost any 750w/850w Bronze or Gold and still come out ahead, and I'm not talking about efficiency ratings there.

So what's the intended upgrade going to be? A 10900k/5900x class cpu with 3080 class or bigger gpu? Those require a 750/850w psu. If you are only looking at a 5600x/11600k class cpu with a 3060/3070 class gpu, then a 650w is plenty.

I'd rather put money into a 650w Platinum with a 10-12 year wattanty than a 850w Gold with a 5-10 year warranty for roughly the same price.

Last edited:
Reactions: helper800
You're overthinking this mobo thing by an order of magnitude. You're going to roughly get what you pay for.

Personal Opinions WARNING:
  • Asus generally tends to be the highest price/features because they overvalue their software, but it's not extreme. They have good values here and there, but generally that price premium is evident in comparison to the competition.
  • MSI in the past couple generations has hit the "sweet spot" middle-ground market strong with some solid boards at solid prices.
  • Gigabyte needs a bit more research to ensure you're not getting something weird, but overall fairly consistent.
  • AsRock used to offer the best value when they were a newer player. These days they've moved up to/near price parity with Gigabyte/MSI, but I always feel like their product stacks are a bit of a minefield (slightly more variable than Gigabyte). Like everyone else, they make cheap boards, and they make great boards, I just feel like the middle-ground is a bit more convoluted with AsRock. As long as you do your research, you can still get a good product at a good price from them.
Now you're sounding like this "upgrade" you'd mentioned initially isn't a drop-in CPU upgrade that we were led of believe, but a full-on CPU+mobo+DDR5 RAM upgrade? Do you have an existing system you can hold onto for another year to just go that route?

Last edited:
Reactions: helper800

TRENDING THREADS