[SOLVED] Best budget card for cs 1.6 on old PC?

c4p

Commendable
Dec 28, 2018
Hello

I have a pretty ancient system - AMD Athlon II X4 651 (3ghz), 6GB RAM (DDR3), Gigabyte GA-A55M-DS2 (FM1) mobo, running Windows 7.

I recently got the itch to play CS 1.6 again! This system previously ran 1.6 GREAT on XP with a 8300 something or other GPU, just flawless, but after upgrading to Windows 7 the game ran laggy and could only handle the lowest settings.

I picked up a Geforce GT 710 a while back thinking it could easily handle an ancient game like CS 1.6, but nope! Total POS!

Are there any cards similarly priced to the GT710 (under 100) that will work with 1.6 on med-high settings??

Thank you!

Solution
Gt 1030 possibly. But if system ran CS fine before, i doubt it's anything to do with Win7. How long has it been since doing a fresh reinstall of Win7? Maybe that's all it needs if the system was allowed to accumulate junk over the years. If you have a spare hdd just for fun you could use to trial a new Win7 install on to test would be a good idea.

Disabling Aero might help system run a little better.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Gt 1030 possibly. But if system ran CS fine before, i doubt it's anything to do with Win7. How long has it been since doing a fresh reinstall of Win7? Maybe that's all it needs if the system was allowed to accumulate junk over the years. If you have a spare hdd just for fun you could use to trial a new Win7 install on to test would be a good idea.

Disabling Aero might help system run a little better.

Solution

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

In this era that we're living in, due to the pandemic and the miners out there, there's no such thing as a budget card. Demand for even a basic card has driven up the prices of even the worst of cards, regardless of their age.

The issue is with your platform. Even if you dropped in a GTX2060, the processor would limit your gameplay. By that I'm factoring in that the game has seen updates since then. Looking through your specs, I am curious why you'd be on a very old OS as opposed to being on latter versions...? You should make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard and also, what is the make and model of your PSU and it's age? Make and model of the ram used?