Best budget PSU for overclocking

unclenewy

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
Hi guys

An older PC builder and gamer here (47 with 3 kids) so sorry for anything "uncool", looking for some advice, I only usually search these places for tips and don't normally post so please bare with me.

I've been building regular PC's for about 18 months as a sideline and hobby, and have decided to upgrade my own PC a couple of times since original build, and am now starting to overclock ready for when I upgrade my Rift from DK2 to CV1.

I've now clocked my 2500k to 4.9ghz @ 1.37v and my EVGA GTX780 sc to 1136ghz gpu and 3180ghz memory on an ASUS P8Z68-V board with 16gb 1333 RAM, a corsair A50 cooler and corsair CX600 PSU.

The problem is I've had a couple of shut downs when under heavy load (mainly iRacing GRC and R3E, as I only sim race). Now I know the CPU can go to 5ghz and the card can go higher because I've seen the vids, so I'm guessing my PSU is not able to keep up. It normally runs perfect in VR at a solid 75hz, but sometimes when i'm in the middle of a multi car battle and I'm moving my head a little more than normal it will freeze and the sound just keeps looping, and I have to restart.
The first time this happened I just figured I had gone a little too high with the clocks, so I backed the CPU down from 5 to 4.9 and knocked the GPU down 25ghz on both sides, and everything ran perfect for weeks until last night, when it froze again.

So I've been on the hunt for a PSU today but a lot of info on the net is conflicting. I have a list of 10 in my amazon basket all at or below the £85 mark, my PC is built completely on a budget from 2nd hand parts except for the PSU (like i said, I have a family).

So my questions are, is it the PSU that's the problem? And can you advise on which one from the list, or any other suggestions?

EVGA supernova 650 GS..................£82.94
EVGA supernova NEX650 G.............£80.11
EVGA 650GQ....................................£75.03 (750GQ = £83.34)
Antec VP 600P...................................£81.45
XFX 850 XT........................................£55.31
Fractal Design 750 W Integra M........£76.95 (650 W = £67.95)
Thermaltake TR2 S 700.....................£61.21
Corsair CX750M................................£79.97
Antec True Power 650.......................£88.72

Thanks in advance

jawlesspython04

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
The EVGA SuperNOVA 650GS is probably your best option out of this list. Another good option is the Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W. It costs £82 and is pretty much on par with the EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GS if not a little better. Choose the one you like.

EVGA and Seasonic are both pretty good PSU makers. I would go with the Seasonic because ive never had problems with them while i have had problems with some EVGA PSUs.

unclenewy

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017

Thanks for replying so quickly, I'll take a look at that Seasonic.

Edit....just bought it......hope it likes overclocked PC's, thanks for the advice.