Discussion Best Budget PSU

josephdfarkas

Prominent
Nov 19, 2018
Hey everyone. I'm looking for a good budget PSU. My current PC is this (upgraded this summer) with this PSU. My PSU has been very loud recently, and I've been worried about my PC. This PSU has been doing well for 10 years, but I am worried that there's risk with my components, as well as my PSU being inefficient. I am looking for a decent PSU around 500-600W, 80+ efficiency, and decent noise levels. I need something that will support my PC and a upgrade in the future (actually from what I've seen, newer CPUs use less power thant i7 920 overclocked to 4Ghz), and I don't plan on upgrading my GPU for a while. Some PSUs I've been researching are the: Corsair VS650 , CX650M, EVGA BR500, Thermaltake Smart 500, and be Quiet! System Power U9 600W BN 608. I've been hearing bad things about the EVGA BR and Thermtake Smart, but they are cheaper and popular. Any help would be appreciated.

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
There are also some cheap PSUs like this Riotoro, but I'm not sure they are any good.
I haven't heard of Riotoro, and there are no reviews on that power supply.
Doing a quick google search, it looks like their power supplies are just kinda eh. I'd spend a little more on a power supply that actually has reviews. =)
Edit: I looked at your PC build, and it looks like you are mix-and-matching RAM, which is usually okay, but I wanted to point out that two of your RAM stick are clocked lower than the others, so you are not getting the full potential of some of your RAM.
Just wanted to point that out. You might have already known, but just in case, there you go. (=

josephdfarkas

Prominent
Nov 19, 2018
I haven't heard of Riotoro, and there are no reviews on that power supply.
Doing a quick google search, it looks like their power supplies are just kinda eh. I'd spend a little more on a power supply that actually has reviews. =)
Edit: I looked at your PC build, and it looks like you are mix-and-matching RAM, which is usually okay, but I wanted to point out that two of your RAM stick are clocked lower than the others, so you are not getting the full potential of some of your RAM.
Just wanted to point that out. You might have already known, but just in case, there you go. (=
Yes, my ram is stuck at 1066 in Windows anyway, or else my PC becomes unstable. I'm trying to decided between Cosairs VS and CX line, beQuiets SPU9 600wt and Pure Power 11 and 10, the Seasonic S12III 650 and the Rosewill CAPSTONE 650M (fully modular and 80+ Gold, $75 on newegg).

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019

josephdfarkas

Prominent
Nov 19, 2018
Thank you for the help. I think I might try and head to my local Micro Center, see if they have a good deal. If not, I'll either go with the Rosewill or Corsair or a be Quiet. The Rosewill does have some bad reviews, but I hope that's just because people with issues are more likely to write reviews. The Corsair is more popular, and has more info, but is not built as well as the Rosewill. If the Rosewill stays cheap and gets back in stock, I'll probably get it. Otherwise, I'll chose a Corsair CX or CXM (whichever is cheaper). From what I can tell the VS is not as good quality. Or, I might chose a be Quiet! Any info on the quality of those? I'm looking between the System Power U9 600W BN 608 (not much info), and the Pure Power 11 and 10 80+ Gold.

Last edited:

l0nglive

Reputable
Jul 25, 2017
This depends on the country. In my place CX and bequiet power 9 is well priced.

A trick to buy budget PSU is to match with a budget system. if yours is not too power-hungry, then buy the CX450, it's enough for the system, and is about USD46.