[SOLVED] Best Budget PSU?

Jul 29, 2020
I am trying to build a pc and want to go more towards the budget side on the power supply while still maintaining a quality product and a high wattage (preferably 650w or more). The power supply doesn't need to be modular, but I would really prefer modular or at least not big round cables coming out of the power supply. I am currently looking at the EVGA BR 700w Non modular power supply for about $75 and I will put a link below. If anyone knows anything about this power supply and think it fits well into the build please let me know. Also I would appreciate any recommendations that any of you guys have for a power supply below $100 (Better if below $80) with about 650w (better if about 700w) that is reliable, and won't damage any of the hardware inside of my system, and maybe something that you have had experience with.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product...nze-certified-atx-power-supply-100-br-0700-k1

Solution
No, I am talking in USD. Sorry that I didn't convey that earlier.
Ok. This is just my opinion for what it's worth. There's not much reason to buy old style hard drives these days. You'll get better performance by using a single M.2 NVME drive like a Crucial P1, which isn't too costly, than using a small standard SSD and hard drive combination. You can always add more storage a year or two from now if you need more.

The money you're spending on fans would be much better spent on a higher quality power supply. You can move one of the 3 front fans to the back or pick up an inexpensive fan for the back of the case. The power supply is the most important part of the system, in case you didn't know that. A Corsair CX650 would be a...
Aug 3, 2020
budget ... high wattage (preferably 650w or more)
Pick one or the other. Nowadays, only very high end systems require 650w or more. Such system should not skimp on a "budget" power supply.

If anyone knows anything about this power supply
I couldn't find any reputable reviews. Generally you should stay clear of units without proper testing and reviews. Considering its wattage and price, it's probably crap.

fits well into the build
What build?

I am trying to build a pc and want to go more towards the budget side on the power supply while still maintaining a quality product and a high wattage (preferably 650w or more). The power supply doesn't need to be modular, but I would really prefer modular or at least not big round cables coming out of the power supply. I am currently looking at the EVGA BR 700w Non modular power supply for about $75 and I will put a link below. If anyone knows anything about this power supply and think it fits well into the build please let me know. Also I would appreciate any recommendations that any of you guys have for a power supply below $100 (Better if below $80) with about 650w (better if about 700w) that is reliable, and won't damage any of the hardware inside of my system, and maybe something that you have had experience with.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product...nze-certified-atx-power-supply-100-br-0700-k1
You need to list all the parts for your proposed build in order to get a proper recommendation. It's highly unlikely you'll find a good power supply for $75CAD. Even $100CAD is not going to get you a good model, maybe a decent budget model.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020
Pick one or the other. Nowadays, only very high end systems require 650w or more. Such system should not skimp on a "budget" power supply.

I couldn't find any reputable reviews. Generally you should stay clear of units without proper testing and reviews. Considering its wattage and price, it's probably crap.

What build?
This is the parts list that I am considering building, and although not that large of a PSU is needed, I want plenty of room for future upgrade ability. Do you have any recommendations that would maybe be better options?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/V9C2Jb

Jul 29, 2020
You need to list all the parts for your proposed build in order to get a proper recommendation. It's highly unlikely you'll find a good power supply for $75CAD. Even $100CAD is not going to get you a good model, maybe a decent budget model.
This is the parts list that I am considering building, and although not that large of a PSU is needed, I want plenty of room for future upgrade ability. Do you have any recommendations that would maybe be better options?

This is supposed to be Canadian dollars right? Your first post was for Canadian but the link you just now posted was US dollars. Just want to make sure we're on the same page here. Parts availability between the 2 countries isn't always the same. I'll have a look at your list now.

Jul 29, 2020
This is supposed to be Canadian dollars right? Your first post was for Canadian but the link you just now posted was US dollars. Just want to make sure we're on the same page here. Parts availability between the 2 countries isn't always the same. I'll have a look at your list now.

Ok. This is just my opinion for what it's worth. There's not much reason to buy old style hard drives these days. You'll get better performance by using a single M.2 NVME drive like a Crucial P1, which isn't too costly, than using a small standard SSD and hard drive combination. You can always add more storage a year or two from now if you need more.

The money you're spending on fans would be much better spent on a higher quality power supply. You can move one of the 3 front fans to the back or pick up an inexpensive fan for the back of the case. The power supply is the most important part of the system, in case you didn't know that. A Corsair CX650 would be a better choice than the EVGA 700 BR. Don't sacrifice the quality of the power supply for a bunch of RGB fans.

Reactions: King_V
Solution
Jul 29, 2020

The money you're spending on fans would be much better spent on a higher quality power supply. You can move one of the 3 front fans to the back or pick up an inexpensive fan for the back of the case. The power supply is the most important part of the system, in case you didn't know that. A Corsair CX650 would be a better choice than the EVGA 700 BR. Don't sacrifice the quality of the power supply for a bunch of RGB fans.
Ok I saw the Be quiet Pure Power 11 non modular 700w for $99 and from what I've read it's a very good psu can you find a reason to not go with that one?

Jul 29, 2020

Ok

Jul 29, 2020
Also there is the cooler master 650w mwe gold fully modular psu that is out of stock right now but usually sits at about $100 do you know anything about that psu?

Aug 3, 2020
Ok I saw the Be quiet Pure Power 11 non modular 700w for $99 and from what I've read it's a very good psu can you find a reason to not go with that one?
No problem there.

Yeah there is... The Pure Power 11 is a strong budget/mid range option. Similar quality to a Corsair CX. But it's massively overpriced at $100. Because you can get the exact same quality for $30 less with the 500w variant. Your system won't even draw close to 500w.
For ~$100 you can grab a Focus Plus or even a Straight Power 11, both are better power supplies.

Yeah there is... The Pure Power 11 is a strong budget/mid range option. Similar quality to a Corsair CX. But it's massively overpriced at $100. Because you can get the exact same quality for $30 less with the 500w variant. Your system won't even draw close to 500w.
For ~$100 you can grab a Focus Plus or even a Straight Power 11, both are better power supplies.

Yes, I know that. Maybe you missed this part from OP.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020
Yes, I know that. Maybe you missed this part from OP.

"For future upgradeability"... So what, OP is planning to upgrade to the top of the line GPU and CPU? That's really the only case where 650w is need. That and SLI.
Either case, it is a better idea to stick with a top quality power supply.

so the performance is close to the same.
You have found a review testing the performance of the B5? I haven't... And you can't assume the performance will be until there is.

Again, OP, you can't afford a serious upgrade-friendly power supply with that sort of budget. Since you're intended to upgrade to the top of the line CPU/GPU, save some more money for a high quality power supply.