Best Buy Customers Thought Galaxy Tabs Were iPads

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billgatez

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
THE NAME ON THE BOX. how f**kin g stupid are people.
Best buy better start handing out helmets and drool cups to people at the door.

jcurry23

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
Wait a minute doesn't every best buy have an apple section where you can only get apple products in that area? Anyways people who buy apple products don't really know what they are buying they just see the lowercase "i" in front of a capital "P" and go crazy.

EzioAs

Distinguished

Ahaha I thought that was funny. Thumbs up for you

G

But that's only because most Best Buy customers tend to be morons in the first place..

[citation][nom]leongrado[/nom]Always the consumer's fault right?[/citation]

The phrase that you're thinking about might be "The customer is always right." I don't think that I've heard of "It's always the customer's fault."

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Interesting, so these Best Buy people didn't look at the package they bought to see what they were buying? At any store I have been to the Apple products are in cases or on displays completely isolated from other products. A Best Buy agent (who constantly swarm you once you step foot inside their building) didn't mention anything during your showing of interest in a tablet that you were looking at an Apple and/or Samsung? I understand that Best Buy caters to the uninformed and ignorant techies but I find this case pretty hard to believe.

[citation][nom]xerroz[/nom]This is why America is going down the drain.[/citation]

I'm pretty sure that I can think of even worse things that Americans and other countries' citizens have done. Many political arguments can get far more stupid than this.

queenfan

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
[citation][nom]mindless728[/nom]Well let's face, in general people are retardedI know people who think those crappy $200 (or less) android tablets are iPads[/citation]
Yeah, but Best Buy and Samsung have been having hot steamy sex for years now, Apple's just voyeuristic by comparison.

queenfan

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
[citation][nom]Miharu[/nom]The boxes aren't the same! Let's figure out­.If they're stupid enough to buy the bad one, they just have to return it. End of story.I think this story is (MOSTLY) made up just to help the trial. Best Buy and Apple are pretty good friend.[/citation]

Yeah, but Best Buy and Samsung have been having hot steamy sex for years now, Apple's just voyeuristic by comparison.

dreamcoyote

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
I only do it rarely, but I have purchased something at Best Buy just to try it out and see if it works. I got a video card once to see if I could resolve a hardware issue in my PC (eliminates the existing video card as the issue). I was careful with the packaging and receipt, used it for my diagnostics, and when done I took it back to the store.
"It didn't work in my system"
"It conflicted with something else"
Now *we* know that a back-to-basics PCI card is going to work regardless, but customer service isn't going to argue with you. If they did I wouldn't have any reason to shop there. The only reason to shop at Best Buy is that you can return it with a short drive rather than boxing and shipping it back a la Newegg.
anyway.. I wonder how many of those people knew it was a Samsung but wanted to see if it was as good and brought it back saying they wanted an iPad instead. or maybe I'm just hoping that more people actually read the freaking box in their hands..

straw_hat

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
I bet that Apple employees went to Best Buy stores and purchased the Samsung units and returned them for "thinking that they were ipads", which is why Apple knows the answer before the facts have been presented, also I doubt that a customer can walk into a BB Store and take an ipad off the shelf, they most likely have to ask an employee for an "iPad".

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
I get the arguments and the critiques of Apple, especially when they are deserved but when the people posting how stupid the customers of Best Buy are and totally dismiss the possibility that the design is so close that it confuses people.

I know what a stretch, lets make up excuses that now all "tablets" are commonly known as "iPads" and these people are *isheep* *morons* for making such an obvious mistake...

You guys should watch out because you may be operating in Jobs' Reality Distortion Field, LOL

[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]I get the arguments and the critiques of Apple, especially when they are deserved but when the people posting how stupid the customers of Best Buy are and totally dismiss the possibility that the design is so close that it confuses people. I know what a stretch, lets make up excuses that now all "tablets" are commonly known as "iPads" and these people are *isheep* *morons* for making such an obvious mistake...You guys should watch out because you may be operating in Jobs' Reality Distortion Field, LOL[/citation]

I can understand them managing to mistake a Galaxy Tab for an iPad if they don't look at it before leaving the store any more than a mere glimpse. I can also understand someone mistaking my TV for a similar model made by any other brand if someone doesn't take a look at it. The fact of the matter is that not only would the BB employees need to be stupid enough to give someone a Galaxy Tab when someone asks for an iPad (different boxes, so that's quite the feat on its own), but the customer would need to be so stupid as to not even look at the packaging anymore than they look at the product. If they don't know that Samsung is not a synonym for Apple, then maybe they can mistake something that clearly says Samsung for something made by Apple. Also, the arguments about people calling all tablets iPads are actually quiet valid seeing as how such happens all the time with products that own a market for a while.

[citation][nom]dauntekong[/nom]What can you expect from Best Buy? Obviously those sale reps dont know anything about technology. All they do is lure people into buying some shitty product, lying that is awesome to the fullest. Haven't they seen the commercial about Best Buy? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow5 [...] ure=relmfuThose customers had it coming for them. Do your research first before buying anything.[/citation]

I once applied to work at Best Buy as a Geek Squad repair technician. I have an A+ certification (EG: how to build and do basic repair on computers). I was turned down as overqualified

[citation][nom]ScrewySqrl[/nom]I once applied to work at Best Buy as a Geek Squad repair technician. I have an A+ certification (EG: how to build and do basic repair on computers). I was turned down as overqualified[/citation]

Turned down in a BB interview for having proof of knowing some basic computer knowledge, something that is absolutely relevant to a job like that? I wish that surprised me. BB's employees really are cherry-picked to be clueless if you got turned down for knowing how to do the job.

EzioAs

Distinguished

Same here. I tried to apply working at a local computer store where I bought my monitor saying I know basic computer stuff but was turned down as well. The funny things is, at least in my opinion, the 2 salesman that approach me when I was trying to pick out a monitor didn't even know what a display resolution is. Afterwards, they asked the technician and they only give me their product catalog, indicating that none of them actually know what it means. I guess it's fine if they don't know about the resolution but it turns out, they also don't know what VGA or DVI is, only HDMI.

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
[citation][nom]leongrado[/nom]Always the consumer's fault right?[/citation]
Nine times out of ten!!! Yes it is! Then the customer blames it on someone else to get their way. To make sure business is retained most stores or businesses will cave to their demands and stupidity. This only further perpetuates the problem.

tdenton1138

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2007
Rather than calling these customers stupid, I would use the word ignorant. Apple (like it or not) has done a phenomenal job with their marketing. Most consumers are, in fact, not geeks like most of us. Many likely have no idea that Android is different from Apple and assume that all tablets are basically the same with the difference being who manufactures it.

Anyone walking into a BB looking for advice is already showing themselves as lacking in a basic understanding of technology (do your own research!) and they probably just look at prices and figure they might as well get the cheaper Samsung over the more expensive Apple without any idea that their iPhone / iTunes account is (mostly) incompatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.