News Best Buy Heavily Discounts Nvidia RTX 30 Graphics Card Stocks

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I updated Windows 98 online in the late 90s, before XP, yes. But when they released an update, it didn't CAUSE blue screens.
Oh, I have a very specific recollection of an update I installed for Win NT 4.0 that sometimes caused a bluescreen when I opened the CD-ROM drawer. And that was an issue because I listened to CDs on that thing all day at work. It took them a couple months to issue another update which fixed that, after they broke it.

Last edited:
Reactions: dalauder
Feb 16, 2023
3080 10 GB is generally a bad idea. Even Today Memory Usage for RT or 4k or DLSS3 exceeds often 10GB . The 3080 GPU is to fast for only 10 GB.
3070/ti would often deliver same performance for less price. In 2-3 years the 3080 10gb will have problems even in WQHD.

3090 is a good buy if you have the money for Energyconsumption and a very good cooling in your case.

Reactions: jp7189

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020

At least according to this review, 10GB is barely enough for 1080p in Hogwarts Legacy.
And this is precisely why consoles have become the best value. These games are designed around the PS5 and XBOX Series X/S consoles. On a PS5 the game looks fantastic in 4K. You get a game that looks great for $399 or 499 (PS5).

Feb 16, 2023

To be fair the game is new and not well optimized. But yeah its mostly designed for Consoles. Btw it must be very poor optimized because it needs 32gb ram + minimum 12-16gb vram vor 4k ultra +rt. PS5 only has around 12gb ram+vram combined i think.

Hogwarts better be looking double fine in comparison to PS5 . In the end 30fps on PS5 in HQ isnt enough for me.

But Hogwarts is only Unreal Engine 4. I dont wanna know about UE5 games xD

Reactions: bit_user

InvalidError

Titan
Just game with what you can afford you don't NEED a high end gpu just to have fun gaming or waste massive amounts of cash.
Too much of the gaming community seems to think that photorealistic 3D is a requirement for fun. Personally, one of the most fun games I've played in the last 20 years is Portal 2, which is pretty plain graphics-wise.

Oh, I have a very specific recollection of an update I installed for Win NT 4.0 that sometimes caused a bluescreen when I opened the CD-ROM drawer. And that was an issue because I listened to CDs on that thing all day at work. It took them a couple months to issue another update which fixed that, after they broke it.
Okay then, I guess you like Windows 10 & 11. I was happy with 7, but that's probably because it didn't bluescreen me (and I could find all the settings menus).
Should they NOT benchmark these new games until after the first patch comes out?

Reactions: Horschti
And this is precisely why consoles have become the best value. These games are designed around the PS5 and XBOX Series X/S consoles. On a PS5 the game looks fantastic in 4K. You get a game that looks great for $399 or 499 (PS5).
Consoles have become a MUCH better value. The Playstation 3 launched at $500, like current consoles, but that was 16+ years ago. Near that time, the GeForce 8800 series was about that price, but its graphics totally destroyed a PS3. Now top graphics cost 3x as much as a console.

But I need a desktop. I don't need a console. So my solution is to buy graphics that are discounted and use them for a LONG time. I got an RX 480 for $180 in 2016 and just replaced it with a $247 RTX 2080 Ti. But I also don't need to play at 4K because my desktop has 3 matching 1080p screens and I'm in no hurry to spend $800 upgrading them to 4K.

Hey, I spent a couple hours last evening playing Master of Orion II (1996). I still think Star Control II is the best computer game.
Well I just checked recently and I had over 115 days played on that RS account which translates to 2760 hours... Things in runescape take a notoriously long time to do. For instance the amount of exp to get 1 skill to level 99 is just over 13 milion, and exp rates are usually very low in the beginning and only ever get to 60k exp per hour for some skills. There are 23 skills...

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Okay then, I guess you like Windows 10 & 11.
Yeah, if you're being sarcastic.

I was happy with 7, but that's probably because it didn't bluescreen me (and I could find all the settings menus).
Same.

Should they NOT benchmark these new games until after the first patch comes out?
I guess if people are buying them before the first patch, then it's relevant to their readers. Anyway, most publications are looking for easy ways to generate more content, so repeating the benchmarks after a couple patches is probably no big deal or even a win for them.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I wouldn't buy a 30 series card, with their low v-ram buffers. Hogwarts Legacy is just the beginning of not having enough v-ram, on those cards.

It isn't in game developers best interest to exclude large amounts of the gaming consumer. I am sure they have their eye on things such as the Steam hardware survey and such. I expect that optimizations will come along to help improve this issue.

With that said, I think it was quite the surprise to everyone when 30xx released with 10xx levels of RAM on much of the segment.

As to this Best Buy deal...everything lower than the 3090 has BEEN sold out anywhere they would list as "nearby" since before this media grab happened.