News Best Buy Locks Nvidia RTX GPUs Behind Obscene $200 Paywall

BillyBuerger

Reputable
Jan 12, 2021
I still shop Best Buy occasionally. Not as much as I used to. Didn't help when the Anime section started shrinking many years ago. But it's convenient when I need something quick and I can just run to a local store for it. So I've generally had good feelings towards them. But this is just crap and makes me want to look other places when I need something. There's a MicroCenter not too much farther that I can always go to instead. So yeah, want to screw over your customers for a little extra cash? Go for it, but you're losing me as a customer.

Reactions: pattyladd
I went to my local BB to voice my opinion on the matter. I told them it's ridiculous that an Elite member who's spent almost $20k in less than 10 years needs to pay $200 for the chance to snag a GPU!

Of course it fell on deaf ears as they have no control over the matter.

My local Microcenter has GPUs in stock but they are charging more for a 3080 than BB charges for a 3080ti.

Reactions: bigdragon
Keep trying NewEgg on shuffle. That's how I got my 3080 Ti. However, not unlike BB, the higher end GPUs on NewEgg's shuffle are a package deal with an M.2 SSD or a power supply. Mine was bundled with an EVGA 850W G+ power supply which is far from high end. I actually sold it to a co-worker's son at a discount for his first build and took put that money into a Superflower 850W Titanium (not going to risk that GPU on a non-premium PSU!).

Regarding Microcenter, the last I tried them, and this was late last summer when I was building my new rig, their shuffle program did not have any price gouging. Maybe that's changed now, but I do know one thing: the GPU market is getting worse, not better. My EVGA card is up $80 on NewEgg from $1.399.99 to $1,479.99, and that's just at retail price. I actually got another GPU from NewEgg on their shuffle, an ASUS Strix RTX 3070 for $799.99 by itself, for my nephew's gaming build for his birthday. So persistence does pay off if you keep plugging away. It took many weeks, nearly two months, to eventually "win" both cards to purchase each time. You will have a better chance of winning with a bundle combo on a GPU. You can always sell what you don't need. With Best Buy's BS upsell $200 "service" bundle, you cannot sell it! And who the hell needs 7x24 tech support from some contracted 3rd party by Best Buy for a GPU anyway?

Edited reason: fingers type faster than brain wants

Last edited:
As bad as this looks, this is SO FUNNY to me, because in EU we have such high prices compared to US, that this +200 USD "tax" to buy at "MSRP" is very small compared to the scalper prices we have here in stores... pffft.

Retailers in Eurore are de facto GPU scalpers now. That is why many here including me left GPU purchase/upgrade for better times or never.

Reactions: 10tacle and VforV

Pollopesca

Reputable
Mar 19, 2021
This isn’t new news. The TTS paywall has been public knowledge since last October. GS Total Tech Support can’t be returned, but it can be prorated back for the remaining days. Just know that it must be done through their phone support line, and they make you work for it. Since BB and GS outsourced all phone communication outside the US, its not uncommon to spend 2+ hours just waiting to get ahold of the correct person.

Reactions: nogaard777

Dyseman

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
I'm pretty much done with BB in general. Lowest Consumer grade crap and nowhere near what it was in the 90's. I fear it is going to go the same way as Radio Shack in near future. Thank god I have a MicroCenter near by.

And Amazon does the same thing with Amazon Prime. Welcome to the new retail norm.

Yes and no. On average we receive over 52 packages a year from amazon all on prime. At $124/year memebership, that is $2.38/package average. And that is certainly cheaper than most other places. Throw in prime video, it's a win.

That said Amazon used to be a place to find bargains. Most stuff is MSRP now, unless you go for obscure components like resistors, capacitors or LEDs. NewEgg and Best Buy (years ago) USED to be a place for bargains also. Now that Best Buy realizes they have competition, they are more price competitive. However the in demand items they will stick you on.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
At first, I was offended by it.

After thinking about it, I'm only mildly offended. People are going to buy cards at scalper prices.

Best Buy is putting a twist on scalping. "We're going to charge a $200 fixed fee above MSRP."

It's kind of "scalping lite" in a manner.

I'm not saying it's good. I'm saying it's less bad.

Feb 11, 2022
Best Buy Totaltech costs $199/year, and it's apparently a new prerequisite to get your hands on a GeForce RTX 30 Series graphics card.

Best Buy Locks Nvidia RTX GPUs Behind Obscene $200 Paywall : Read more
You all don't understand why TotalTech is good for you. Best Buy dropped via TT because of recent changes & additions to commonly used bots. Multiple bots recently updated to allow generation of Best Buy accounts AND added a feature that bypasses the need to manually enter email verification codes.

Best Buy was smart enough to recognize this. Dropping via TT was their defense against these new bot features. Had they not done a TT drop, every bot user could have had 1000+ accounts attacking the stock. 99.9% of the gpus would have been taken by bots/scalpers.

So stop griping at Best Buy. They were right to use TT to protect legitimate customers.

ubiquityman

Reputable
Aug 30, 2017
As an ordinary guy looking for a couple of video cards, if I have a choice of paying $200 to BB or paying $800 to scalpers that use bots, the BB pricing seems very attractive. I think this change for BB is a HUGE positive. Look at Amazon for example, it's completed bot'ed. There's no reasonable for an ordinary person to buy a GPU from say amazon at MSRP. BB's attempt to fix this is a positive IMO.

Feb 11, 2022
As an ordinary guy looking for a couple of video cards, if I have a choice of paying $200 to BB or paying $800 to scalpers that use bots, the BB pricing seems very attractive. I think this change for BB is a HUGE positive. Look at Amazon for example, it's completed bot'ed. There's no reasonable for an ordinary person to buy a GPU from say amazon at MSRP. BB's attempt to fix this is a positive IMO.

Applaud this. The author of the referenced article and Tom's Hardware publicly shamed Best Buy for locking gpus behind a $200 pay wall. They should now publicly apologize.

Before blaming retailer for their tactics surrounding gpus and consoles, ALWAYS think of how the bot community is attacking these sites.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I had a new house built last year. I remember living in an apartment while it was being built, and repeatedly getting into BestBuy's queue to buy an RTX 3080 or RTX 3070. I could get them into my cart, but never successfully check out with one. I tried so many times. Never got the upgrade that would have helped with Blender 3D and UE4 projects. I saw so many people boast on Twitter that they had successfully checked out with multiple RTX 30-series cards from BB while I couldn't get just one.

When it came time to outfit the new house with appliances, not a single one came from Best Buy. From something as big as a new home theater system with projector to something as small as a vacuum, I retaliated by spending $0 at Best Buy. They can take their $200 membership and shove it you know where. BB's profiteering and refusal to put even basic limits on the purchases of GPUs has been egregious.

Don't forget how badly Best Buy, Newegg, Amazon, and others botched and continue to take advantage of the GPU situation.

Feb 11, 2022
Simple solution. Stock stores, and if after two weeks it doesn't sell, put it online for bots/whoever wants it, without the TT they want to sell me. But we're past that, so I guess I don't need a video card.

Applaud this. The author of the referenced article and Tom's Hardware publicly shamed Best Buy for locking gpus behind a $200 pay wall. They should now publicly apologize.

Before blaming retailer for their tactics surrounding gpus and consoles, ALWAYS think of how the bot community is attacking these sites.
BestBuy is online only. Microcenter is in store only and must show ID. You're only allowed one GPU per address.

Reactions: Krotow

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
You all don't understand why TotalTech is good for you. Best Buy dropped via TT because of recent changes & additions to commonly used bots. Multiple bots recently updated to allow generation of Best Buy accounts AND added a feature that bypasses the need to manually enter email verification codes.

Best Buy was smart enough to recognize this. Dropping via TT was their defense against these new bot features. Had they not done a TT drop, every bot user could have had 1000+ accounts attacking the stock. 99.9% of the gpus would have been taken by bots/scalpers.

So stop griping at Best Buy. They were right to use TT to protect legitimate customers.
Or better yet, DON'T require TT and require people walk into the store and buy a card in person, limit one per customer. No one would object to that and they would sell out of cards in an hour.

Mar 19, 2021
Honestly best buy is a great store. who doesnt love going into a brick and mortar store and seeing all the awesome stuff they carry? i love it. they are great if you have an issue or want to return something. as easy as amazon if you are close to one. this program for 200 bucks a year is a good price, just 16 bucks a month. you are a tech/computer/electronics guy like me and arnt a broke azz beoutch, then its worth it for sure. ;)