Best case for quiet PC (non-gaming system - for composing/mixing/master music)

Michael Ducharme

Reputable
Apr 26, 2014
I compose/mix/master music on my computer. My system is an older system with Q9450 processor that I intend to upgrade. Although I occasionally play games on my computer, it is by no means a high end gaming system, and gaming is something I rarely do.

Mostly, I am frustrated by the noise level of my system, as it interferes with my music composition and production. I am looking at changing my case (and possibly getting a new motherboard/CPU/RAM since even the cheaper i5's now look like they benchmark better than my processor, and my music software hogs all 8 GB RAM that my system supports as a maximum.

I have been looking at some various options that claim to be "quiet" or "silent" cases by fractal design and antec and other vendors, but it is hard to get a sense of how quiet they actually are for my purposes. I want a quiet computer for music composition, so that I can properly hear the details of my piece without lots of noisy fans and motors. I'm not doing overclocking and such. It is hard to get a sense out of which case is best for my needs. I do not really care about how it looks. I just want something functional that is as quiet as possible (within reason).

Any advice would be appreciated - thanks!