Question Best component to upgrade?

Feb 17, 2023
The issue
Getting 40-50 FPS in Hogwarts Legacy in Hogsmeade @ 1440 Ultra RT off. I would like more. 80-90 minimum on average.

My Specs
  • GPU: RTX 3080 TI
  • CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x
  • RAM: 32 GB 3600 MHz RAM
  • PSU: 750W
  • Mobo: MSI Mag B550 Tomahawk.
What would be the best component to upgrade for the most increase in my performance? I don’t want to change out my motherboard. I was thinking CPU since all these other benchmark videos with my GPU seem to get nearly 1.5x-2x my average FPS. Or should I just shell out a couple thousand for a new system with all the bells and whistles? Or perhaps Hogwarts Legacy is just a bad port and I should wait for a patch.

If I were to swap out a single component my budget would be $1000.

Last edited:

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Certainly not suggest you spend towards a new system based on one game which hasn't been released long. Wait for optimization and consider its ability elsewhere.

Personally, if I were to do anything to that system based on only what you posted, I would update to an R7/9 5xxx while they are readily available and on sale prices. I suggest that only if you plan to keep the system for some time moving forward. What you have now is a really nice rig.

Feb 17, 2023
Certainly not suggest you spend towards a new system based on one game which hasn't been released long. Wait for optimization and consider its ability elsewhere.

Personally, if I were to do anything to that system based on only what you posted, I would update to an R7/9 5xxx while they are readily available and on sale prices. I suggest that only if you plan to keep the system for some time moving forward. What you have now is a really nice rig.
Hm. In that case I might go with the 5800x3d.

Reactions: Why_Me

sonofjesse

Distinguished
5800x3D is great, the game will get better wtih updates to the game and drivers IMHO.

Sell your old CPU after you upgrade, for an affordable upgrade. (make sure your on the latest bios before you take your old CPU out just in case that board don't have bios update)

Reactions: Why_Me
Feb 17, 2023
The 5800x3D is an outstanding CPU for gaming, which is pretty much what it was marketed as. Even aside from that, 8 cores 16 threads of top shelf AM4 performance is nothing to sneeze at for workloads. The Tomahawk has traditionally been a great quality board with a good reputation.
Posting an update after I upgraded.
My FPS in Hogsmeade is now 85-90. This was exactly the performance bump I was looking for and I’m glad I made the jump. It’s crazy. 3800x isn’t even that old and even at 1440p it’s chunking my frames.
If anyone else comes across this with a similar situation I highly recommend to make the jump if you’ve got the cash.

Posting an update after I upgraded.
My FPS in Hogsmeade is now 85-90. This was exactly the performance bump I was looking for and I’m glad I made the jump. It’s crazy. 3800x isn’t even that old and even at 1440p it’s chunking my frames.
If anyone else comes across this with a similar situation I highly recommend to make the jump if you’ve got the cash.

It's the best upgrade for gamers on the AM4 socket. Love my 5800x3d.