Best Computer Monitors: October 2014 (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eggz

Distinguished
Good list! But on the Ultra Wide section, shouldn't there be something recommending the Dell U3415W? It's a slightly nicer (yet less flashy) version of the recommended LG 34 UC97. Even though both have the same panel, the Dell has a much better I/O and costs significantly less - great screen!

Seems most are moving from 16:10 to 16:9. Still saddened to see such high prices on monitors that struggle to bring what crt had already accomplished decades earlier with multi resolution, solid color clarity, faster response times etc. Instead of having to pick and choose between tn or ips/mva. At least the asus pro art is an 8bit monitor. Most ips used to be 8 bit and now are cheaping out with 6bit plus frc to dither the extra 2 bits. Found a reasonably priced viewsonic with an 8bit ips panel to replace one of my crt's that failed. Hopefully it won't be too disappointing.

Michael Rowe

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015
Love this Article, very useful. Would really like to see g-sync and freesync listed as a row in the table of the gaming monitors. This happened to be the first thing I looked for.

agentsi1511

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
It honestly doesn't look like they've updated anything on this list for several months. The Acer G-Sync monitors have been out for 3 months now, yet they're still waiting to get one.

agentsi1511

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012

I've contacted them myself on multiple occasions as they have stock problems, mainly due to the dock situation in California . Last I heard they are planning to announce a IPS 27" 144hz G-Sync monitor Late July / Early August. With Pre-Orders and shipments coming in September > October. Price point of $550 + shipping.

soldier44

Honorable
May 30, 2013
27-28 4K monitors are way to small. Where are the 30-40 inch IPS G Sync monitors already. Ive been using a 30 inch 2560 x 1600 IPS for the last 5 years and refuse to go backwards in size and quality. I'd gladly pay $1200-1500 for one if someone would step up to the plate.

agentsi1511

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012

I hate you...

I bought four of them, every single one had dead pixels, severe back light bleed, and dust/dirt under the screen. I wanted to cry.....

I just picked up a replacement for one of my crt's that finally gave up the ghost. It's not 10bit, but at least it's true 8 bit (not dithered). A viewsonic vp2365-led 23" 1920x1080 ips. I think it was under $240 on amazon. Not suitable for gaming I wouldn't think, does have some ghosting if dragging windows across the screen really fast but nice clean colors. It's had some pretty good reviews. A lot of the 8bit ips are running 6 bit + 2bit dithered frc anymore. I checked it over pretty good, no wonky/dead pixels that I could find and no light bleed around the edges so for the price I'm pretty happy with it.

While I was searching around to see what the options were for gaming monitors, found some that are able to get around a lot of the ghosting/motion blur issues. What cracked me up was how they did it. By creating a 'flicker' of the backlight between frames. One of the biggest rally points behind lcd technology was being flicker free and here we are full circle, adding flicker to get the quality that was already present decades earlier in crt screens. lol

ozzuneoj

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2012
I found a problem in this article.

In the section about the BenQ XL2430T, the last two paragraphs suddenly start talking about the Asus ROG swift and have nothing to do with BenQ.

DFWallace

Reputable
Jul 11, 2014
I have been a PC gamer since @ 1993. I build my own rigs, and have always had high-quality components.

My present system: Asus P8P67 MB, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM, Intel i7-2600k CPU overclocked presently to @ 4.2 ghz, nVidia 780 video card, Corsair 850W PS, water-cooled CPU, Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB SSD, Asus Xonar Essence ST sound card, and an Eizo FG2421 monitor.

This Eizo monitor is fast, with very low refresh, excellent 'blacks' and contrast, accurate color reproduction, and excellent in gaming. My son and I play different types of games including 'FPS' style ( Battlefield 4) Back in 2013 when I bought it, I tested out BenQ, Asus, Dell, and others, many of which had G-Sync (when that all started). This Eizo was the best.

Why did you not test any Eizo products?

Status
Not open for further replies.