Best cooler for overclocking AMD FX-8370 to 4.6GHz?

Hassan83

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016
I am fairly new to this overclocking stuff. I am planning on overclocking my FX-8370 to 4.6 GHz for slightly more performance in CPU intensive games. I was thinking the CM Hyper d92 or Corsair H60 for cooling but I still need to look at a few more. Any suggestions? Also, I would much prefer a nice looking cooler over some giant chunk of metal. Also if possible, let me know if my build can support such an overclock.

Here are the specifications of my build:
CPU: AMD FX-8370
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M PLUS/USB3
GPU: GTX 1060 6gb
RAM: 8x2gb DDR3
PSU: Corsair CX500

Solution
I was able to get my FX-8350 to 4.7GHz with both my H60 and my 212 EVO (push-pull fans). But you're comparing a $38 air cooler to a $65 AIO cooler. The D92 w/ it's push pull 92mm fans may do the job. I never used one with that small of fans, tho. Personally if those were the only two to choose from, I'd pick the C60.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I was able to get my FX-8350 to 4.7GHz with both my H60 and my 212 EVO (push-pull fans). But you're comparing a $38 air cooler to a $65 AIO cooler. The D92 w/ it's push pull 92mm fans may do the job. I never used one with that small of fans, tho. Personally if those were the only two to choose from, I'd pick the C60.

Solution

Hassan83

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016

Thanks for replying. Assuming that those are not the only two to choose from, which cooler would you recommend? I like the H60 and how it looks but does it last long? I heard Corsair provides a 5 year warranty for it. Most of the reviews I've seen on it were mixed so I wasn't too sure if I should buy it.

Hassan83

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016

I also noticed you have a 212 EVO. Since I can pretty much confirm that it can support my overclock, do you think the H60 cools better or at least the same as the 212 EVO?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I've had a couple of each; the C60 and the 212 EVO. Stock out of the box, they are pretty similar in performance from my experience, with the C60 getting a slight edge until you add a 2nd fan to the 212 EVO. But the C60 does indeed look better and is easier to install.
I've never had one single issue with the either of the C60s I've had. I have one of each of the above coolers still in use with no issues. A relative of mine ended up with a PC I built and is using the C60 I used to have. He leaves the PC on 24/7 and has had the C60 for a couple more years now past the time I owned it.

bignastyid

Titan
Honestly you'll be lucky to keep the cpu stable at stock speeds. That motherboard has a poor thermal and power setup and VRM throttling is a common issue on these types of boards even at stock clock speeds. Using a cooler that does not direct air over the VRMs would be ill advised.

Hassan83

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016

Okay, thank you very much. My last question before I close this thread would be, would you happen to know if my motherboard can support such an overclock?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

As the others have stated, it is not designed for OC'ing. Your results will be less than optimum and longevity of the board may suffer. But, I have OC'ed with worse boards. You do so at your own risk however, as we do with all OC'ing.

Even that is optimistic in my view, many people have problems with that board getting 125w CPU's to run at stock speeds under prolonged use (gaming). I just wouldn't consider overclocking at all.

Hassan83

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016

What if I just get stick on VRM heatsinks?