Best CPU Air Cooler for i7?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I have heard great things about the Xigmatek Dark Knight and Scythe Mugen 2. The advantage to those coolers is that they are only $40, and in the review i read they offer better performance than some of the $60 coolers.

However, if you are an overclocking fanatic, you might want to make an investment in the TRUE or even a water cooling system.

I can't find the articles that i read, but i know those two coolers are supposed to offer great performance for their price. However you might need more depending on what you want to do. If i was going to overclock to 3.4 or 3.5, i would be fine with either of those two coolers. And that is exactly what i plan on doing when i get my i7 build :)

razor117

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
I've got the Coolermaster V8 cooling my i7 920 (*not overclocked yet) and would highly recommend it. I can play Crysis on Enthusiast settings at 2x AA for several hours and still only see a 10-15 degree increase over the ambient temperature. Water cooling is overrated AND overpriced, plus if the pump should ever fail... there is in nothing to keep the CPU from frying itself.

Well, Intel CPUs (I'm not sure about the AMD - I think this is true for them too though) are actually good enough at thermal throttling that they won't even fry if run without a heatsink. That doesn't mean I recommend it, but if a pump fails, you aren't completely screwed.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
NO. You always mount it first and check temps. If outside limits you have found by doing lots od forum brousing then you use approved methods to check your CPU and HS surfaces. If they are outside general limits, you then read up on how to lap the surfaces.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007

Right......, spend the $$ to get maybe TRUE temps. Do you only read what the retailers say? Like a car salesman or lawyer. You trust them?

Your money. An i7, which one? What mobo? What are the ambient temps? It's not like buying a brick, you need to really know specifics.

It's been reviewed and run by real humans, not markety types. It can't keep up well. Uses 7 watts. OMG, thats on idle before the TEC kick in, and a few replace the fan that comes with it right away.