[SOLVED] Best CPU and mobo match to go with the RTX 2070

Jan 21, 2019
Hi All,

I recently upgraded to a RTX 2070 and im still running the I7 4770 and thinking of upgrading, Im going to obviously have to upgrade my mobo aswell so could anyone recommend anything decent/cheapish that wont cause bottlenecks with the rtx 2070?

Solution
This is coming from an AMD user. If you have the 4770 I would hold out a few months. Maybe grab a little extra ram if you want. I think I paid 13 for 4gb ddr3 1600 on eBay recently for some ram for an old i7 3770 Dell optiplex system I'm setting up for my wife's home office.

That said, AMD ryzen is great. Single core performance I think is around haswell, which is of course what you have now. However, the word on the street is that supposedly zen 2 is coming about June/July. No hard facts yet, but this will be their redesign of ryzen and the move to 7nm. They are talking mainstream CPUs of 16 cores 32 threads I think for the high end, not counting threadripper, and possibly speeds of around 5ghz. Plus they seem to think single...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What resolution are you gaming at?

How does the 4770 look for CPU utilization in-game etc? Vs. the GPU utilization?

Honestly, while dated at this point, the 4770 is still a respectable CPU - you're probably only into borderline "bottleneck" territory for the most part, other than a couple of specific titles that can utilize >8threads.

Jan 21, 2019

hello mate,

I am gaming at 2560x1440p @165hz i am also running 8gb ram which i want to get up aswell
I am noticing fps drops in games like bf5, ac oddssey etc but these are cpu demanding games arent they.

This is coming from an AMD user. If you have the 4770 I would hold out a few months. Maybe grab a little extra ram if you want. I think I paid 13 for 4gb ddr3 1600 on eBay recently for some ram for an old i7 3770 Dell optiplex system I'm setting up for my wife's home office.

That said, AMD ryzen is great. Single core performance I think is around haswell, which is of course what you have now. However, the word on the street is that supposedly zen 2 is coming about June/July. No hard facts yet, but this will be their redesign of ryzen and the move to 7nm. They are talking mainstream CPUs of 16 cores 32 threads I think for the high end, not counting threadripper, and possibly speeds of around 5ghz. Plus they seem to think single core performance will improve.

Again, no hard facts, but apparently at CES they had an engineering sample 8 core/16 thread CPU running and supposedly beating out an i9 CPU from Intel. So lot of rumors. I personally have three 1st generation 1700x myself and am happy with it. In your case, I would hold out for zen 2 for a truly meaningful upgrade if I were in your shoes I think.

As far as comparison with the ryzen 2600 however, it will be close to your CPU in single thread applications and games that are single thread. But it would do slightly better in multithreaded apps and games being 6 cores 12 threads.

Solution
Jan 21, 2019

Great answer, I guess you're right about holding out because I recently just bought a near £500 graphics card and will probably need to save up if i'm wanting to make a meaningful upgrade. Trouble with PC tech is that everything is ever moving and always evolving! So whatever you end up buying it will be out done by something newer that comes out in the next 6 months :( A shame but maybe its always worth waiting for the better tech to come out anyway... Last AMD cpu i had was a 8320 from years ago which was a great cpu at the time and still kinda is. However i've just always gone to Intel for some reason, but these Ryzen CPUs do look awesome so will have to consider what's going to be about in a few months time, or even see what Intel are producing.

Multi-core it is sightly better that i5 9600K but yes single core is bit lower compared to Intel parts but better than what you have for sure.

On the 8gb of ram, just if you can get it cheap. I will say that on my platform, I recently moved from 8gb to 16gb and the difference is not earth shaking. But I will say in some games, you will notice the system using 9-10gb of ram at times. With a card as beefy as yours, it wouldn't hurt. Plus if you decide to hang onto the system a little while you're ok. But Zen 2 could be the breaking point. They are supposed to support socket AM4 next year as well, so expect one final release after this year I am guessing.

If you did go for a ram upgrade, here's a cheap kit that may work depending what speed is in there now, and depending if you are running a similar kit and have 2 more free slots.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8GB-DDR3-RAM-KIT-2x4GB-Desktop-Memory-RAM-PC3-12800S-AMD-INTEL-VARIED-BRANDS/183621050929?hash=item2ac0aae231:g:ap0AAOSwYV5cL96A:sc:USPSFirstClass!63304!US!-1:rk:17:pf:0&LH_BIN=1

Jan 21, 2019

Thanks mate :D