Best cpu cooler for overclocking

gamingfanatic

Honorable
May 7, 2012
I just built my new system with the new ivy bridge i7 3770k and got the asus deluxe motherboard. I plan to use Asus's auto tuning using the extreme setting but i want to upgrade my cooler from the stock cooler. I was looking at the H100 but not sure i want liquid cooling because i heard it sometimes leaks so i looked into the 212 and it has great reviews but it has been around for a long time is there a new heatsink that is good. I do not plan to overclock very high just around 4.0 maybe 4.2 max i just want my cpu to stay cool. I am not on a budget so if there is a good heatsink that i should get please let me know. Thanks

gamingfanatic

Honorable
May 7, 2012

I have not considered that and thank you i will overclock manually in the bios. Which rasa kit would you recommend

So those overclocks will not require a water cooling solution. You can indeed have leaks with a closed water cooling solution, I had one originally with an Antec 620 Kuhler, although it was just a small one at first and nothing got ruined.

The Hyper 212+ is a highly recommended cooler because it performs well given a $30 US price. Coolers costing $50 or more will give a little more overclocking headroom, but we are talking a couple of hundred Mhz really. Water cooling allows for slightly higher overclocks and a little more voltage, but that will lead to a lower lifespan for most CPUs.

One thing most people don't note about water cooling is that this will lead to higher system temps since the air coolers typically will also cool the chipsets as well. Many folks will either get active fan coolers for their chipsets or make the chipsets, ram, etc a part of the cooling loop. Higher system temps can also dramatically impact an extreme overclock.

My advice is this, if you are not in love with the idea of having water cooling in your system and a max overclock is not a goal then save your money and get an air cooler. Put that extra money toward a better graphics card.

However if you want to show off your water cooler and really like this idea, then go for the H100 which will perform on the level of the highest cost air coolers and doesn't require maintenance.