Best CPU cooler (liquid/air)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
The part that cracks me up is the going out their way to start telling stories and i quote If I go to Intel Burn Test...I can run it for hours(10 hours is the longest I have done so) and it never exceeds 71C at 4.6-5.2GHz for the absolute top Intel Cpu for Sandy Bridge...and I still CAN'T HEAR IT....so why hammer on the H100 that it is extremely LOUD or that it's not true water cooling!!!
4.6ghz maybe 5.2ghz 71c on H-100 total BS that's when i decided enough is enough for me with this conversation I have the XSPC Raystorm RX360 Extreme Universal CPU Water Cooling Kit on one of my rigs and i can hit 5.1ghz 1.484V but my temps are about around 89Cto 91C running intelburntest so there no way H-100 can keep temps 71C on 5.2ghz overclock i believe it when i see some proof otherwise it's just bs at that point i realized the type of individual we were dealing with here and decided to walk away.

tekman42

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
90runsofintelburntest.th.png
[/URL]
100runsofintelburntest.th.png
[/URL][/img][/img][/img]

OK guys I have to retract the statement above...I couldn't get the machine to stabilize out at 5.2 GHz...kept getting a processor interrupt signal wasn't received at expected time...wound up at 4.9GHz 1.43v cpu...1.5v dddr3 1600MHz...and ran 100 runs of Intel Burn Test...with screenshots...of core temp...pictures at 90 and 100 cycles...temps are extremely low....if I went to 5.0GHz voltage was too high and the interrupt error occurs.

I apologize for the misleading statement...I was following the newegg guys 5.2GHz overclock video on youtube and had forgotten that I didn't test it at that speed...I was thinking I had...those temps were at 4.6GHz...ONCE AGAIN...I Apologize to all...

but at 4.9GHz...STABLE for 100runs of IBT..the temps were only maxing out at 73C according to AI Suite...coretemp still showed 31-32C

My Bad....still the H100 performs pretty darned awesome if you ask me...I could play all day at 4.9GHz and no problems but that is STILL below the 5.2 I stated...won't happen again. I believe in posting ONLY what I KNOW to be TRUE...I take responsibility for being stupid and popping off without verifying my information.

Sorry for my idiot mistake...I will try to do better next time...thanks for calling me on it and I won't be doing that one again..ever:)

tekman42

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
OH...I couldn't get the images to post the way I wanted them to. They are too small to read coretemp...if somebody would post a link to help enlarge them...I will attempt to do so...Sorry about that.

There's no way I could find on imageshack to view full screen.

Apology accepted we all make mistakes nobody is perfect and well will end it at that ;)

logical

Honorable
May 21, 2012
Whoa! :na: Didn't expect a question to got that far! :kaola: ... So allow me to rephrase the question to Whats the best cooler on the market, £80 not above...

There hope that can, well, erm get a straight answer :)

Like I previously stated; I like the Noctua NH-U12P-SE2 CPU Cooler NH-U12P mainly due to the reputation of Noctua regarding noise and performance. I also like the Be Quiet Dark Rock PRO BK016 mainly because I have read good reviews and it would fit into the aesthetics of my case very well.

So opinions on these or ones that can beat it, still open to liquid but try keep it in budget!

Thanks all! :D

well try to remember you get what you pay for so with that in mind these are decent and will fit within your budget ,Thermaltake Frio $49.99 NZXT Havik $59.99 NH-U12P SE2 which is best out these i honestly don't know if you want the best then you'll half to spend a little more money NH-D14 and Silver Arrow are the top dogs right now and there is no closed loop or heat sinks that can beat either of them hope that answers your question.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
For the absolute best bang for your buck at that price point, I'd wholehearted recommend the Silver Arrow. The NH-D14 cools just as well, but is somewhat louder. Both cost about the same.

The NH-D14 has some issues with RAM clearance. I don't know if the Silver Arrow has the same issues. Either way, I'd recommend checking RAM height and clearance on the coolers just to be certain it won't bite you. Nothing sucks more than getting your fancy new hardware and being unable to use it.

Yeah but he wants within his price range i was thinking about it and NZXT Havik 140 is the next best aside from silver arrow and NH-D14 it's also allot smaller than NH-D14.Of course a decent, cheap watercooling kit like the XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 or RX240 will handily beat all of the above.I prefer the D14 myself but,all are out your price range therefore i recommend NZXT Havik 140 ;)