[SOLVED] best cpu fan curve setting?

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
hi guys

i cant for some reason find my cpu curve setting on my contents in my profile so i apologize.

i have acquired an msi mpg gaming edge wifi z590 and have had a little play in the bios but it looks so complicated! will need bit of time to get used to it.

anyway could someone tell me what curve setting i should havae on my cpu cooler fan? i am not bothered about bit of noise as long as i can keep the cpu cool enough to prolong its life.

many thanks

Solution
What is your cpu and cooler?
Do not worry too much about cpu temperatures.
The processor monitors it's own temperature and will slow down or shut off if it detects a dangerous temperature.
That is around 100c.
I would not worry if your heaviest load is 85c.
But, for the best turbo performance, you really want to keep temperatures to 70c.

For cpu longevity, the thing to control is voltage.
High voltage is what will reduce the life span of a processor.
Overclocking increases voltages and you may inadvertently get a dangerous voltage.

Fan speed is a trade off between airflow and noise.
Set the curve so that you do not hear the fan at idle or normal desktop operations.
The motherboard defaults are likely a good place to start.
The processor monitors it's own temperature and will slow down or shut off if it detects a dangerous temperature.
That is around 100c.
But, for the best turbo performance, you really want to keep temperatures to 70c.

Overclocking increases voltages and you may inadvertently get a dangerous voltage.

Set the curve so that you do not hear the fan at idle or normal desktop operations.

Reactions: froggy8
Solution

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
That is around 100c.

thank you for your reply

i am using i5 11600 and vetroo v5.

so far i have left it as it is, its on auto at teh moment.