[SOLVED] Best CPU for Floating Point Calcs (not gaming)

TJ0096

Prominent
Aug 28, 2020
Seems that all the CPU Test are based on gaming. How do I compare a gaming test when I am actually interested in the speed for number crunching. What I m looking for is speed for C# / .Net floating point calculations in an environment full of Lists and Dictionary's. Graphics speed is not that important as the screen only has some tabbed WPF pages with results, unless a graphics card somehow increases the number crunching speed of the CPU.

Is there a Category of Test that I am not familiar with? Does it make a difference or should I just going with the Gaming Bench Marks?

Currently looking at Ryzen 7 3800X or I7 10700K. That could change if I can educate my self on number crunching speed.

Thanks, Hardware rookie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
The best desktop CPU for number crunching OF ALL KINDS is either the TR-3990X /TRP-3995WX. Threadripper completely owns the top three and dominates the top ten. No Intel CPU even touches these monsters. The TR-3990X has 64 cores and 128 threads. Not even Intel's top Xeons can even get close to that kind of processing power.

Having said that, GPUs are generally faster for FP calculation and many applications exist that offload FP calculations to the GPU. This provides a massive boost regardless of which CPU you are using at the time (provided that you have a decently powerful video card).
This might help: https://asteroidsathome.net/boinc/cpu_list.php

If you find a better list, please link to it - I'm sure others are interested.

Nice - yeah I've been looking but its difficult to find pure FP numbers (I think quite a few of the productivity tests may use a mix of int and fp math).

@op - whilst the 10700K isn't on the linked list, the older i9 9900K is (and it's essentially the same cpu so you can compare against that).

The Zen 2 core does have strong FP units, it looks to be a little ahead (at least in that test). The much larger L3 cache probably helps in that regard.

The best desktop CPU for number crunching OF ALL KINDS is either the TR-3990X /TRP-3995WX. Threadripper completely owns the top three and dominates the top ten. No Intel CPU even touches these monsters. The TR-3990X has 64 cores and 128 threads. Not even Intel's top Xeons can even get close to that kind of processing power.

Having said that, GPUs are generally faster for FP calculation and many applications exist that offload FP calculations to the GPU. This provides a massive boost regardless of which CPU you are using at the time (provided that you have a decently powerful video card).

Solution