Best Cpu for LGA 1366

addisonphillipsgoalie

Commendable
Jul 19, 2017
I recently purchased a GT 1030 for my Dell Precison T3500 and installed it. After playing with it for a while I think that my current CPU is bottlenecking the card so I want to upgrade but I'm new to the CPU world so I don't know what's compatable and what isn't. I have a LGA 1366 socket and an Intel X58 chipset and my budget is around 100-130$. If you need any other specs please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Whats you current cpu? The 1030 is a non gaming card and doesn't even get bottlenecked by core 2 qquads.

addisonphillipsgoalie

Commendable
Jul 19, 2017

My current CPU is a Xeon W3505 at 2.5GHZ. I am struggling to get 30 fps on Rainbow Six Siege with 1024x768.I know it isn't the best card for gaming but is it the issue? I just got it and I knew it wasn't great but figured it would do the trick.

addisonphillipsgoalie

Commendable
Jul 19, 2017

My current CPU is a Xeon W3505 at 2.5GHZ. I am struggling to get 30 fps on Rainbow Six Siege with 1024x768.I know it isn't the best card for gaming but is it the issue? I just got it and I knew it wasn't great but figured it would do the trick.

That cpu is quite bad. The t3500 supports up to hex core xeon which can easily be found for 50 or less.
Your current cpu is at the level of min spec for siege so a upgrade will help you get better fps. However it will only get you to 30fps or a little over it since the 1030 is also near min spec.

addisonphillipsgoalie

Commendable
Jul 19, 2017

Thank you for your help. Could you give me a link for what you think would work for me in terms of cpu's?

jr9

Estimable
Core i7 950 or 970 is my personal recommendation if you are looking for a decent CPU.

A newer CPU won't give you much FPS gain in Siege. Siege is a highly graphics card dependent game and the 1030GT is a very low end graphics card not designed for games like Siege at all. If anything your GPU is your bottleneck. A Core i7 950 and a 1050 GTX or better would be a great upgrade.

Any xeon variation is also good since his pc even supports the 6 core xeon family. The xeons will be a lot cheaper than those i7's while still giving the same performance.

All of these on this list should work in your pc. Just get the 1 step from the fastes one since those will be a LOT cheaper and have a little less performance.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket%201366%20(LGA1366).html

I recommend you just get a 6 core because why not 10$ more 2 extra cores.

For $130 you can get a X5690, the top of the line workstation processor at the time. But personally I would just use $50 for something like a X5670 or X5675 which is merely clocked .5Ghz less.

Depending on your CPU, the most important may actually be to change out the GPU. Selling your current 1030 for even a 7970 results in a decent performance increase for ~$50.

jr9

Estimable
Not any. If it's at least X5570 and you can find those for cheaper than a i7 950 then yes go for it. Anything else is slower than 950. X5690 is about level with a i7 970. If you can find at least a X5570 for cheaper than a 950 or 920 and not from China then go for it. Cores don't matter with Siege at all. 4 core is just as good as 16 cores.

It's worth noting again you will see little FPS gain between i7 920 and the best Xeon or i7 CPU for your motherboard so you should go by price. Your CPU determines your average and low frame rate but not your max frame rate; that is dependent on your GPU.

I think you got things a bit mixed up there. A cpu determens your max, min and average framerate the same as a gpu does. If 1 component can't keep up the others slow down. And if 1 component isn't maxed out that means there is still some performance to gain (depends if there are set limits or not).

jr9

Estimable
No, I do not believe so, and especially not in a GPU heavy game like Siege. One can bottleneck the other though; that is elementary. If I have a 7700k and a 1030GT I would still get bad frame rates although much more consistently bad (average). Turning up settings will still tank the FPS. The graphics card is doing the rendering so it determines your max framerate. Doesn't matter if he gets a 8700k and 16GB of RAM, that graphics card will limit your FPS to well below 60. The GT 1030 is so slow I wouldn't even worry about a Q6600 bottlenecking it.

A better CPU can indeed help smooth out gameplay by raising the minimum framerate, while at the same time not doing much for the average framerate. That's because no game has the same demands all through the game as you play. Some parts will be more CPU dependent than others.

So it's possible that with one CPU you get 50fps average, with lows to 20fps. A faster CPU might still only get you 50fps average, but the lows never drop below 30fps and that results in a much better experience. Smooth gameplay is about more than just average framerate.

Cpu also = maximums. If the cpu can't keep up your gpu can't deliver.

Gpu also = averages and lows. If there is to much going on and the cpu is doing fine but the gpu can't keep up then thats whats holding you back.

No single part causes lows and highs it's important to have a well balanced combination since an imbalanced combi can be fine in certain games but in others have massive issues.

Um... No?

I'm quite sure that in a game the CPU calculates physics while the GPU calculates optical physics and graphics. So if the CPU can't calculate v=v(int)+at quick enough, or if the GPU is too slow to count lighting particles, then that component delays the instructions for the same frame. "Maximums" and "averages and lows" are the absolute wrong descriptions for how CPU/GPU works in programs.