best CPU for me

alridium

Reputable
Nov 8, 2017
hi, im going to build a new PC which im going to be gaming, streaming, video editing and rendering and stuff like that (starting youtube/twitch) ive been looking at the i7 8700k, i5 8600k and ryzen 7 2700x. which one of these will be the best for my needs? and should i maybe wait to see intels new CPUs that are comming?

Solution
Coffee Lake Refresh is going to be pretty much exactly the same as the current Coffee Lake chips apart from boost clock bumps, possibly other small tweaks and the introduction of an 8C16T i9 variant.

For heavily threaded tasks and substantial multi-tasking, the choice would be between the i7 and 2700X with the i7 likely to give you better in-game performance while the 2700X should be better able to provide smoother stream encoding with few to no dropped frames due to having two extra cores and four extra threads to spare. Competitive streamers who accept no compromise simply use one PC for gaming and a separate PC for streaming.

For someone who wants one single system to do everything, the 2700X seems like the better option to me.

InvalidError

Titan
Coffee Lake Refresh is going to be pretty much exactly the same as the current Coffee Lake chips apart from boost clock bumps, possibly other small tweaks and the introduction of an 8C16T i9 variant.

For heavily threaded tasks and substantial multi-tasking, the choice would be between the i7 and 2700X with the i7 likely to give you better in-game performance while the 2700X should be better able to provide smoother stream encoding with few to no dropped frames due to having two extra cores and four extra threads to spare. Competitive streamers who accept no compromise simply use one PC for gaming and a separate PC for streaming.

For someone who wants one single system to do everything, the 2700X seems like the better option to me.

Solution
^^I second that overall, especially if gaming at 1440p and higher resolutions where CPU performance takes a back seat to the GPU demands. However, one thing to keep in mind is that Intel K-series chips and Z-series motherboards offer longer legs for overclocking performance vs. AMD depending on application(s) used like those taking advantage of multi-threading performance vs. raw CPU speed performance.

That said, thumbs down to Intel for choosing to name the 8th-generation Coffee Lake "refresh" with the 9xxx series. Not even a die shrink! If it was a different chipset entirely like the X-series I can see that, but we're still talking about i3/i5 chips here in that mix. Still no word on refreshed i7/i9. Way to go Intel. Keep confusing the consumer!